Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 01:27 AM

3 posts, read 3,611 times

Advertisements

I'm being presented with a large option of locations to relocate to and would like some help narrowing it down.

Most important to our family is having a high income to cost of living ratio. We can fit in with most communities although our personal feelings are rather open minded and worldly. I enjoy space from my neighbors over a social hub but that doesn't mean I wouldn't consider a bigger city. Our daughter is 4 years from kindergarten so while school is a consideration we will have the option to move again as that time approaches. Our family is very outdoors oriented but we've considered the no-car lifestyle before when we lived in Arcata, CA.

Here's the list, bolded are the ones I have the most interest in but I will list all options.

Alburquerque, NM
Chandler, AZ
El Paso, TX
Irvine, CA
Rancho Cordova, CA
Cranberry Township, PA
Dublin, PA
Elgin, IL
Lincoln, NE
Mankato, MN
Murfreesboro, TN
Franklin, TN
Alpharetta, GA
Greenville, SC
Little Rock, AK
Tampa, FL
Bangor, ME
Charston, SC
Columbia, SC
Charlotte, NC
Wilmington, NC

Hanover, NH
Huntsville, AL
Rochester, NY
Wallingford, CT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 03:49 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
"Open minded and worldly" knocks quite a few off the list. I get the cost of living ratio, but in balancing that with quality of life and the fact you want a good place to raise children would recommend Hanover, New Hampshire first. It's a beautiful, safe area with excellent schools and an Ivy League influence from Dartmouth University which provides access to lots of social/cultural activities.

Hanover Area Chamber of Commerce - About Hanover, NH
http://www.visithanover.com/

Old 09-19-2012, 09:01 AM

93,361 posts, read 124,009,048 times
If you go with the Rochester area, you may like small towns with a college influence nearby like Brockport or Geneseo that are in the metro area.

Village of Brockport NY - Home Page
The College at Brockport: State University of New York
Brockport NY - the Greater Brockport Chamber of Commerce
Brockport Central School District

Geneseo, New York - Welcome Page
SUNY Geneseo | SUNY Geneseo
Livingston County New York Chamber of Commerce
Geneseo Central School District

Brockport is closer to Rochester than Geneseo, but both are within 30-40 minutes of Rochester.

If you want something very close to Rochester, look into Brighton. It is a suburb with some walkable areas, very good schools and is very close to social/cultural amenities that are in Rochester's Southeastern Quarter. Brighton, NY - Official Website
Brighton Central School District
Brighton, Monroe County, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-19-2012, 07:10 PM

409 posts, read 957,546 times
Your housing cost in California will likely be the key difference in terms of cost of living.

Here are some links to compare the cost of living in different communities...

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Cost of Living comparison calculator

Rancho Cordova and Irvine are very different communities in California as you'd expect from an inland city vs a city in close proximity to the California coast (weather, politics, schools, housing, crime)

Pros of Rancho...

Low housing cost (relatively speaking for California)
Easy access to Highway 50 which will get you to employment centers/cultural activities in downtown Sacramento and recreational activities in Lake Tahoe
Proximity to the American River for rafting, kayaking as well as the American River bike trail

Cons...
Contemplating living in Rancho requires some research as the city is relatively newly incorporated and improving but years of neglect as an unincorporated area of Sacramento County will correspondingly take time to reverse. The neighborhood you choose makes a signficant difference in terms of crime and schools. Honestly, I'd recommend only the newer areas.

For low crime and low Mello Roos check out the neighborhood of Stonecreek and Capital Village.

For low crime and good schools check out the neighborhoods of Anatolia, Kavala Ranch and Sunridge Park. These neighborhoods are served by a different school district (Elk Grove Unified) than the rest of Rancho. For example, the elementary school serving the above neighborhoods has an API of 897. API stands for Academic Performance Index which is an index that California uses based on student performance on standardized tests. The closer to an API of 1000 the stronger the academic standing of the school.

Below is a link with pictures to the new parts of Rancho Cordova (the old parts are what posters think about, negatively, when posting about Rancho).

//www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...o-cordova.html

Last edited by Yac; 09-26-2012 at 05:04 AM..

Old 09-19-2012, 08:09 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Lmfao why would anyone want to live in Rochester?

Old 09-19-2012, 08:15 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcooly View Post
I'm being presented with a large option of locations to relocate to and would like some help narrowing it down.

Most important to our family is having a high income to cost of living ratio. We can fit in with most communities although our personal feelings are rather open minded and worldly. I enjoy space from my neighbors over a social hub but that doesn't mean I wouldn't consider a bigger city. Our daughter is 4 years from kindergarten so while school is a consideration we will have the option to move again as that time approaches. Our family is very outdoors oriented but we've considered the no-car lifestyle before when we lived in Arcata, CA.

Here's the list, bolded are the ones I have the most interest in but I will list all options.

Alburquerque, NMMar. 2012 cost of living index in Albuquerque: 93.8

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Albuqu...#ixzz26yMSA8H4
Chandler, AZ
El Paso, TX
Irvine, CA
Rancho Cordova, CAMar. 2012 cost of living index in Rancho Cordova: 97.9

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Rancho...#ixzz26yOXYJ9M
Cranberry Township, PA
Dublin, PA
Elgin, ILMar. 2012 cost of living index in Elgin: 103.3

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Elgin-...#ixzz26yPLbORb
Lincoln, NE
Mankato, MN
Murfreesboro, TNMar. 2012 cost of living index in Murfreesboro: 89.4

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Murfre...#ixzz26yN5T8aT
Franklin, TNMar. 2012 cost of living index in Franklin: 91.5

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Frankl...#ixzz26ySBWuJe
Alpharetta, GA
Greenville, SC
Little Rock, AK
Tampa, FL
Bangor, MEMar. 2012 cost of living index in Bangor: 99.3 (near average, U.S. average is 100)

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Bangor...#ixzz26yNtWSN1
Charston, SC
Columbia, SC
Charlotte, NCMar. 2012 cost of living index in Charlotte: 93.0

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Charlo...#ixzz26yQuzhAE
Wilmington, NC
Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Wilmington: 97.1

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Wilmin...#ixzz26yQF7BBH
Hanover, NH
Huntsville, AL
Rochester, NY
Wallingford, CT
You are on a forum on a website that has the answer to your question. All you need to do is go to the City-Data part of this website and look up each town. There is a rating for the towns that tells the cost of living there. I will look up a few for you and give you the idea of how this works. I wonder if you are considering the weather at all in your selection? There are also weather information on these pages. For instance, did you know that Charleston and Columbia are as hot as Hades in the summer?

Last edited by NCN; 09-19-2012 at 08:46 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 08:26 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Lmfao why would anyone want to live in Rochester?

First hating on the accent and now the whole area? Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who enjoy living in Rochester...some even more here willingly...like me!

Old 09-19-2012, 08:46 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,663,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcooly View Post
Alburquerque, NM
Chandler, AZ (suburb of Phoenix)
El Paso, TX
Irvine, CA (suburb of LA)
Rancho Cordova, CA (suburb of Sacramento)
Cranberry Township, PA
Dublin, PA (suburb of Philadelphia)
Elgin, IL (suburb of Chicago)
Lincoln, NE
Mankato, MN
Murfreesboro, TN (suburb of Nashville)
Franklin, TN (also suburb of Nashville)
Alpharetta, GA (suburb of Atlanta)
Greenville, SC
Little Rock, AK
Tampa, FL
Bangor, ME
Charston, SC
Columbia, SC
Charlotte, NC
Wilmington, NC

Hanover, NH
Huntsville, AL
Rochester, NY
Wallingford, CT (suburb of NYC)
This is a strange list. Why list those locations? Do you have jobs specifically in them? Because many are suburbs of larger metro areas. Which would give you more choices to move around. I put them in red.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:20 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post

First hating on the accent and now the whole area? Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who enjoy living in Rochester...some even more here willingly...like me!
I do hate the accent but I didn't say I hated the area. I just couldn't believe someone would want to willingly move there with all the other options on the list. Don't be so offended so easily.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:24 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I do hate the accent but I didn't say I hated the area. I just couldn't believe someone would want to willingly move there with all the other options on the list. Don't be so offended so easily.
If you are going to slam a place it's reasonable to expect people to get offended by it, lol.

OP, TN has no state income tax, a big plus for most people. Sales tax is high, property tax is generally low.
The Nashville area has a fairly moderate year round climate and IMO the location is great, close to a lot of great state and national parks and within a days drive of Chicago, New Orleans, Gulf Coast beaches, and a slew of interesting cities.
Franklin has more of an upscale, small town sort of vibe while Murfreesboro is more sprawled and housing is more likely to be affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.