Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will 15 Penn steal the ESB's thunder?
Yes, it shouldn't be built 4 16.00%
No, it should be built 13 52.00%
Yes, it should be built anyway 7 28.00%
No, it shouldn't be built anyway 5 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:15 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,230 times

Advertisements

I never really heard of this before today, or I guess I didn't pay attention til I saw a picture. I came across it while reading the news. This building proposed for NYC would only be a lil shorter than the ESB, and pretty near it. Apparently it's causing a problem with some people who feel the ESB's "iconism" would be like threatened by it. I get that, but I personally don't think it would, I don't love it, the way it looks, but it does look kinda cool in the rendering.

So what do people think, if this gets built, will it steal some of the ESB's thunder? I'm kinda interested to see what people from outside the city think of it, and people who live there now too of course.

http://www.observer.com/files/full/15_penn%5B1%5D.JPG (broken link)

If the poll's messed up don't get too upset, I've never done one before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 02:34 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,061 times
I say build it on a parking lot in a few blocks up. Not only will it seem strange to see midtown from lower Manhattan with two buildings that seem to fight for dominance, but they are destroying the Hotel Penn. It makes way more sense to me to build it on a surface lot instead of destroying a historic structure. I do want to see it built, but not in that location.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:39 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
I say build it on a parking lot in a few blocks up. Not only will it seem strange to see midtown from lower Manhattan with two buildings that seem to fight for dominance, but they are destroying the Hotel Penn. It makes way more sense to me to build it on a surface lot instead of destroying a historic structure. I do want to see it built, but not in that location.

ah I see I went back and looked at the Pic- right accross from MSG and Penn Station. I am ok with it and never knew much about the Penn Hotel outside of using it get a cab from Penn Station when the cab lines are outragous. But the location is great, especially for transit

who is the tenant?

Old 08-24-2010, 02:46 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,323,321 times
I really like this building, skylines transform and fill up. The ESB will always be the ESB, they can co-dominate Midtown's skyline.

My concerns are safety, building one of America's tallest buildings right across the street from the Continent's busiest train station is somewhat kinda scary. Plus that semi-historic hotel.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:55 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times
I think this is awesome. I hate the argument "it's going to steal the ESB's thunder"...boo-effin-hoo. It was built what...79 years ago now? This isn't a building being built directly next to the ESB...it's a few blocks away. It's not going to steal the thunder of the ESB.

Blocking a certain vantage point from the Hudson River is not an excuse to block a billion dollar development. On top of that...there are massive development plans for Hudson Yards. Are they going to block all those developments because they will ruin the ESB's skyline shot?

Old 08-24-2010, 03:59 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,871 times
A nice building for sure, yet somehow it seems more lower Manhattan-ish. I say that b/c I've always been a fan of Art-Deco (can't help it) .My option would be __ Yes, it should be built...somewhere else in NYC.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:29 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,061 times
Agreed. This tower would look awesome in LM

Old 08-24-2010, 04:35 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
It's Manhattan. You can't expect every vantage point of the skyline to be preserved forever. Furthermore, I like the architectural contrast between both buildings.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:22 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,049 times
It's too close to the ESB and it's ugly looking. I think the city should be spending money where it really needs it, like education.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:25 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,323,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
It's too close to the ESB and it's ugly looking. I think the city should be spending money where it really needs it, like education.
Is the city itself really building it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.