Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 01:53 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Americans are often not very outgoing, especially in the Bay Area, and we are not very spontaneous either, you have to schedule something far in advance with us whereas Europeans will just drop by and go and do something on a whim. And Americans are scared to death of strangers.
I think Americans who live in big cities in general are not very outgoing or spontaneous. Americans who live many years overseas and then return to the USA have same problems developing close friendships with people here in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 01:59 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishman_irl View Post
Hi all,

@clonggirl: I am indeed a munster fan (up the reds! :-) ) and am from Wicklow, do you watch the matches from home or head into any of the Irish bars in town?

@MrFantastic: I've tried inviting people out twice, as mayorhagger says, over here you really need to give people a lot of notice, which is fair enough but I've found as a meetup gets closer most people flake out.

@Gentoo: definitely agree with that, as soon as people hear my accent they are immediately both interested and suspicious of me in fairly equal measures :-)

@Crystal: try telling that to lady who lives above me, sits on her balcony every night talking to her dog about her day & problems she is experiencing. Every day at 6pm the streets are full of single people walking their dogs with headphones on & staring down at the ground, no one communicates.

@Mayerhagger: Cannot speak for the UK & France, but in Ireland you can normally just start talking to someone in a bar / sports event / whereever & have some fun..... normally doing that over here results in very strange looks (why are you talking to me) followed by a quick escape.
Sounds about right, both wary and inquisitive.

Someone else mentioned that we need a lot of notice and this too is true. Americans in general are also rather busy and stressed out betwwen working, sometimes two jobs or even three, schooling if any is invovled and running errands. We also I think worker longer hours than the average European although I could be wrong about that. We just don't have as much time to be spontaneous.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:27 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Sounds about right, both wary and inquisitive.

Someone else mentioned that we need a lot of notice and this too is true. Americans in general are also rather busy and stressed out betwwen working, sometimes two jobs or even three, schooling if any is invovled and running errands. We also I think worker longer hours than the average European although I could be wrong about that. We just don't have as much time to be spontaneous.
I have a friend that says every single time I see her, "We've gotta go out one of these nights!" I've told her "Yes, any Friday or Saturday is great- give me a call" and nearly a whole year has passed w/o it ever happening. Now I just roll my eyes now.

It's just doesn't seem to be a priority in our culture. I think people here want to appear very busy--busier than they need to be.

My husband even worked more back in Ireland (and even had to commute 4hrs a day) yet we had a very busy social calendar. People would literally just show up at the door, even at dinner time---totally unheard of here! We'd put the kettle on to boil for tea and shove some cookies onto a plate--instant party!

Old 09-14-2010, 02:55 PM

99 posts, read 386,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
My husband even worked more back in Ireland (and even had to commute 4hrs a day) yet we had a very busy social calendar. People would literally just
The 3 - 4 hour commute up the M50 is one thing I definitely don't miss! :-)

Old 09-14-2010, 03:02 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
I don't think it's an American vs. European thing as much as an American vs. Brit/Irish thing or really a Brit/Irish vs.The World thing. I'm sure if you go to Italy or France you'll find the same or a greater degree of insularity as in the U.S. To be honest, the world views the Brits and Irish as being somewhat obnoxiously loud and extroverted, particulalry when drunk. Sorry but that's the truth. Italian society, which I'm very familiar with, is even more insular than the U.S. as people there generally stick to friends and family they've known their whole lives. They don't generally even mix with Italians from other parts of Italy. Although the Southern Italians love Americans (Brits?, not so much.)

Last edited by CAVA1990; 09-14-2010 at 03:15 PM..

Old 09-14-2010, 03:12 PM

99 posts, read 386,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I don't think it's an American vs. European thing as much as an American vs. Brit/Irish thing. I'm sure if you go to Italy or France you'll find the same or a greater degree of insularity as in the U.S. To be honest, the world views the Brits and Irish as being somewhat obnoxiously loud and extroverted, particulalry when drunk. Sorry but that's the truth. Italian society, which I'm very familiar with, is even more insular than the U.S. as people there generally stick to friends and family they've known their whole lives.
Wow, talk about stereotyping

Obviously you have not been to France or Italy much, I spent 3 months driving through southern europe (Spain, South France & Italy) when I finished college and met endless locals who could not do enough to welcome you to their village and where fascinated why I would visit their region, even though there was a major language barrier. Of course in the cities people tend to be busier as is life.

Also, its really really hard for me being Irish, but when I'm in work, playing rugby or attending a social event I try not to be completely drunk all of the time

Old 09-14-2010, 04:41 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
A friend of mine always gets into conversations with random people when we go out to bars.

Send me a PM if you ever want to meet in a bar for a pint and some craic (note to mods, it's an Irish term for conversation, not drugs!), I could do with meeting some new people.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:47 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
I prefer the company of dogs over humans and have been out for a social drink at a pub twice in the last 6 years. But I'm an old fart.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:47 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishman_irl View Post
Wow, talk about stereotyping

Obviously you have not been to France or Italy much, I spent 3 months driving through southern europe (Spain, South France & Italy) when I finished college and met endless locals who could not do enough to welcome you to their village and where fascinated why I would visit their region, even though there was a major language barrier. Of course in the cities people tend to be busier as is life.

Also, its really really hard for me being Irish, but when I'm in work, playing rugby or attending a social event I try not to be completely drunk all of the time
You asked for our opinions and I gave you mine. Sorry it's not what you wanted to hear, that there's something dysfunctional about my country's culture. If you can't deal with it by changing your approach or your expectations perhaps you'll be happier somewhere else. Also, if you're here working, perhaps there's an American who could use that job.

And no, while we do like our dogs, we don't consider them a substitute for human contact.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:52 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,333,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Americans are often not very outgoing, especially in the Bay Area, and we are not very spontaneous either, you have to schedule something far in advance with us whereas Europeans will just drop by and go and do something on a whim.
Also, Americans are picky, picky, picky. I don't know how it is in other countries, but here, if you want someone to hang out with you, it has to be just the right day at just the right time at just the right place. I think because Americans are so used to having so many choices consumer-wise, they think they should be able to handcraft get togethers and have the moment specifically tailored to them. If it's not exactly when and where they want, they won't go. The only exception is birthdays. Your bday is the one time people will put up with not having a say in plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.