Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 05:30 PM

99 posts, read 386,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
To bad I'm Irish, what have the English got to do with me?...oops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 05:32 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post

As a matter of fact, not to stereotype Americans (I am one) but it is us that are generally considered obnoxious, loudmouthed and opinionated to much of the world. (I'm not stating this as truth at all, just a very popular and well known stereotype).
As a Californian, you know how far grounded in truth "popular and well known stereotypes" are... fruits and nuts anyone?

Old 09-14-2010, 05:33 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishman_irl View Post
Hard day at work buddy?

Why so sensitive, I'm not bashing America - in fact I think its a great country!

Something wrong with asking people who have lived here longer than you a question about the culture?
Nothing wrong with that at all. Just be prepared for different answers to your question.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:35 PM

Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate you taking time to write responses and for your PM's, some very helpful suggestions & cultural comments there.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
To bad I'm Irish, what have the English got to do with me?...oops
Nothing, but I did find it an interesting video I thought you might enjoy.

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
Quote:
Hard day at work buddy?

Why so sensitive, I'm not bashing America - in fact I think its a great country!

Something wrong with asking people who have lived here longer than you a question about the culture?
Yikes!

Who knew someone could get their knickers in such a twist over nuttin'!

Geez, are we supposed to be resorting to posting Youtube videos to make a statement now?

Oh, and someone REALLY hasn't a clue to foolishly mistake the English for the Irish! You just don't do that.

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Americans in general are also rather busy and stressed out betwwen working, sometimes two jobs or even three, schooling if any is invovled and running errands. We also I think worker longer hours than the average European although I could be wrong about that. We just don't have as much time to be spontaneous.
There's definitely some truth to this. But I also think Americans fill their lives with a lot of extraneous nonsense. We don't know how to live simply and we make things more complicated than they need to be.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate you taking time to write responses and for your PM's, some very helpful suggestions & cultural comments there.
You're welcome.

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
The pub culture is one of the nicer social aspects in Ireland. You wouldn't find the same conversational benefits in any bar stateside, with the possible exception of going to a gay bar, but ultimately that's a pain in the ass.
Each country is different and each has its positives and negatives. Speaking of CA, social life is not generally a priority here, but I have a sister who moved to Virginia and she's constantly involved with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Nothing wrong with that at all. Just be prepared for different answers to your question.
Posting a video of bust-up in a bar is not really an answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.