Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 06:05 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,788,420 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure where to post this, cause it's half "other topic" & half "US", but the main question is WHERE are there nice people? I mean a small to mid size town/city where they're not fake nice, & not TOO nice (well, I guess I mean friendly - like no neighbors showing up on your doorstep ), but people who say please & thank you & feel better!
That's what prompted this post...
I have taken 2 days off work cause I'm sick - not quite sure WHAT it is - throat/ears/cough/fever type thing...But not ONE person has said "feel better!"!!!!!!! I ALWAYS would tell someone - ESPECIALLY family/friend/coworker to feel better!!! WTF???
I was just shaking my head...It's like, gee, thanks!
You don't need to break out the freakin violins, but a simple "hope you feel better"?!
So - here are my choices of places that I want to visit - tell me if they would be nice, but not fake, & not overly friendly - (obviously I don't mean everyone, or a few, I mean the majority of those that live there) -

Madison, WI
Fairfield, IA (&/or Maharishi Town I know - Vedic City! )
Strong City, KS
Cottonood Falls, KS
Emporia, KS
(can you tell I have a thing for the Flint Hills? )

Any & all places/thoughts on this matter welcome!
And yes, I'm feeling a little better thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 06:27 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,364 times
From my experience:

Asheville, NC
Hickory, NC
Greenville, SC
Conway, SC
Knoxville, TN
Hershey, PA

Old 04-02-2007, 06:33 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,151 times
Bakersfield,CA has lots of nice people....I also met alot of nice people in Alabama :-)

Old 04-02-2007, 06:36 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,765,301 times
I have lived a few places, and worked in many places and it is my general experience that as far as the work place goes, even those that you would consider friends, really don't care when you are sick because then they might have to work a little harder. I have had to take time off rarely when my infant child was extremely asthmatic, and I got no sympathy whatsoever.
There is always at least one martyr in every office, if not more, that will come to work as sick as you were, and cough all over you and leave germs on every door handle and phone but chastize you when you get sick. Thats just the way it is and I think it is all over. My husband has taken 1 sick day off in 12 years. And they gave him hell...

Old 04-02-2007, 06:37 PM

923 posts, read 3,512,985 times
Default Scratch off the Mid-West...

Scratch off the Mid-West...

Sorry to tell you...

Mid-West==Secular Calvinists, Rugged Individualists(Cold), Un-freindly and uncaring--Aloof.

I know well.
Not evil just the way it is...

Old 04-02-2007, 07:49 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,425,253 times
Upstate NY has nice and "normal" (down to earth) people. The North Country, a part of New York State located north of Syracuse and Glens Falls, are the nicest people in Upstate NY IMO.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:29 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
You're not going to find any individual city in this nation of ours with an overwhelmingly friendly, nice, hospitable, welcoming attitude. For every two nice people you'll come across, you'll also meet one bitter sourpuss who will greatly overshadow any positive experiences you may have had. People say that people in PA are friendly; where exactly are these creatures so that I could try to move nearer to them? I can't think of one area where the "niceness" greatly outweighs the "misery."

Old 04-02-2007, 08:32 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,554 times
Not from there, so no bias here: Chicago & suburbs.
Tennessee, Texas, pretty much the entire South (save maybe Kentucky for some ? reason), odds are very good from the experiences I've had; Naples, Florida; Bloomfield Hills, MI.

SWB, I'm from Philly and you will find a nicer/more depressed collective attitude from area to area (must be just a contageous thing, has to be.)
Visit some of the little towns in Montgomery County. It's like Scotty beamed me down to another planet when I leave my miserable little town to do business, strangers say hello & smile back, and just seem happier altogether :>)

Last edited by Travel'r; 04-02-2007 at 09:03 PM..

Old 04-02-2007, 08:45 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,255 times
Unfriendliest....Albany,Ga

Nicest, Pght, Pa.

OK but slow to warm up...southeast Coastal Va.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:50 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
I've met a bunch of great people in Scottsdale. Midwest people seem to be very laid back and hospitable.

I believe that you can meet nice, down-to-earth people in any city in America. I try not to let any negative experiences influence my view of a city as a whole. The only city that I've been to that has seemed very standoff-ish is L.A. Los Angeles is a great city but some of the people need a serious attitude adjustment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.