Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 05:49 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
I forgot this topic

What I find surprising is that Canadians are more aware of their Scottish heritage. 15,11 % of Canadian are of Scottish descent for a number of 4,719,850. While 1,9 % of American are of Scottish descent for a number of 5,901,932 and 1,7 % of American of Scots-Irish for a number of 5,310,756 .

I'm sure that Scottish/Scots-Irish Americans are at least 10 times more numerous than the number indicated but some people don't know that and they don't really care.
For me it's a problem of mass immigration, there are so many different origins that we no longer know where we come from.

In your opinion why Scottish culture is more present in Canada than the USA ?
Because a larger part of Canada is British in general. They were part of the Empire until 1931. Ther don't claim it more there just is more. The British Population of the United States was ~3,000,000 in 1776 and less than that after the war. Meanwhile Canada had about 1/2 the population it has today when the Westminster Accords were passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 06:08 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,170 times
Britain is an island the race of Scots invaded from mainland Ireland to defeat the indigenous British Picts so its not Scottish it’s really Pictish Brythonic lands just as the Saxons think they own England . But I agree now modern Scotland should be independent, are u less pissed off now ?

Old 07-07-2018, 06:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Ulster Scots ( Scots Irish) are of lowland Scots and North English descent and were known as planters sent by a Scottish King of Britain, Scots Irish was a derogatory term by Yankees , (mixture of early Dutch ,English and yes Scottish descended) The Cracker is from North England, noisy, (The Irish adopted Craic)there were 6 English counties sent to Ulster, Cumberland , Yorkshire,Durham, Northumberland,Lancashire and Berwickshire.
Hence Cumberland Gap and many other English place names. English is always down played as we are seen to be nasty snobby and aggressive. as Chic mentions. The largest ethnic group in the South came from the English Midlands plus with thousands of English and Scottish and Ulster indentured serveants
A good read is- Seed Of Albion.
Nearly all my family on both sides hail from either northern England or the Scottish Lowlands (and the middle - only one branch is from the Highlands). My ancestors were largely "border people" and in fact among my English ancestors I had both revolutionaries and loyalists during the Revolutionary War.

My grandmother's people were Ulster Scots (originally from the Loch Lomond region) and I didn't realize till recently that for six generations at least they were ALL Scottish except for one, who was English. And this was "in spite" of being in the US since around 1700 - shows how groups of similar people really stuck together for generations back in the day.

My husband on the other hand is mostly, truly, Irish. He has the DNA test to prove it! And the last name, which is definitely Irish and not Scottish or English.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:55 AM

47 posts, read 30,525 times
Quote:
Ulster Scots ( Scots Irish) are of lowland Scots and North English descent and were known as planters sent by a Scottish King of Britain, Scots Irish was a derogatory term by Yankees , (mixture of early Dutch ,English and yes Scottish descended) The Cracker is from North England, noisy, (The Irish adopted Craic)there were 6 English counties sent to Ulster, Cumberland , Yorkshire,Durham, Northumberland,Lancashire and Berwickshire.
You are correct England Dan. There were also some English that were settled in Ulster, along with the Scottish. They ended up getting lumped in with the Scottish, or Ulster Scots, since most of the settlers were Scottish. So when they came to America and headed to the southern states, a large percentage of those Ulster Scots, mistaken labeled as Scots-Irish by the Colonial Americans, were of English decent, as well as Scottish decent. One thing they were not though, were Irish, which most southerners today mistakenly think they are because of the misguided Scots-Irish label. Thanks for the clarification England Dan.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:18 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times
Quote:
Aren’t most Southerners Baptist?
I think that Baptist and Pentecostal denominations in the south mainly appeared because the Presbyterian Church couldn't supply enough preachers to the American frontier. This is because the Presbyterian Church required a college education, so they couldn't keep up with the expansion of the frontier.

Also, I agree with the poster that said that many southerners mistakenly think they have Irish ancestry. I've also heard people say that say they have German ancestry, but it is actually Dutch.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Aren’t most Southerners Baptist?
Yes they are. The Baptists are probably English settlers to the south who came to the south even before the Scottish (Presbyterians). I'm sorry, I should have clarified my last sentence. I meant...if you are Scots-Irish, and you're family comes from the south, and especially Presbyterian, you are of Scottish decent.

Now I don't know if some of the Scottish people of the south converted to Baptist, along with the English people of the south, but they (Scottish settlers) were all originally Presbyterian. But one thing is for sure. The Ulster Scots who came to America, and settled in the south, were Scottish and not Irish. The Scots-Irish label, which yes, was a derogatory term used by the English settlers to describe the Scottish settlers, is what is confusing people of Scottish decent today into mistakenly believing that they are Irish. That was the point I was trying to make.

One good rule of thumb to follow is that the Scottish came to America in the early 1700s and settled primarily in the southern states, while the Irish didn't come to America until 150 years later, in the mid 1800s, and settled primarily in the cities of the north.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I think that Baptist and Pentecostal denominations in the south mainly appeared because the Presbyterian Church couldn't supply enough preachers to the American frontier.
This could also be true. I'm not too familiar as to how the Baptist denomination came about. I do know it was a denomination that was started here in the U.S.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:32 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
I think the problem is that a lot of Americans don't diferrentiate between the terms "Scottish," "English," and "British." I've heard people use those terms interchangeably all my life. I've had several friends whose families were of Scottish heritage and most all of them embraced their heritage or at least were aware of it. I don't think the Scottish are forgotten, I think they're often just misidentified as English or British by people who are not familiar with the distinctions between the cultures.
I've NEVER heard anyone use the term "Scottish" interchangeably with British or English. THey're not interchangeable at all, and most people know that.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:52 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've NEVER heard anyone use the term "Scottish" interchangeably with British or English. THey're not interchangeable at all, and most people know that.
English= From England

British= English, Welsh and Scottish

Calling a Scot British is like calling a Texan American

Calling a Scot English is like calling a Texan a Marylander

Old 07-07-2018, 02:42 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
In the South the Scottish descendants once lived in the upland rural areas, while the English and Huguenots lived in the flatter coastal low country areas (which were farmable)

Irish Catholics settled primarily in New Orleans, Charleston, and Savannah during the 1840s.

The "Scotch-Irish" aren't really fond of cities, too many rules to follow. They do poorly in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.