Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 04:12 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,107,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Great information on this thread. It would be interesting if we could see a breakdown from what regions/states Mexicans are coming from and where they are going since they make up such a large percentage of the hispanic population. I have heard people from New York for example say that most Mexicans that go there are from the south. My relatives from Chicago also tell me most Mexicans that live over there are from Durango. As far as Cuban gangs go, I have heard one or two people who migrated from Miami tell me that there is a lot of crime and that there are Cuban gang members, but I again I have only heard. I have never been to Miami.
----

No gangs in Miami. You find Central American with Gang aesthetics and Thug Wannabees. No Cuban gangs, just a buch of new arrivals dressed as thug wanabees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 08:40 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket
I'm surprised that in the Boston CSA, only 11.7% of the Hispanic/Latino population has origins in South America. Given the large Brazilian population, I would have thought that the South American contingent would be MUCH larger.
Brazilians aren't counted as Latinos.

124,553 Boston CSA residents were born in South America per the 2005-2009 ACS estimates.
Are they counted as non-Hispanic whites? It would makes sense if they were counted as non-Hispanic whites. However, they're definitely Latino whites. I would have assumed that Brazilians would fall into the category "Hispanic or Latino of any race."

Old 05-31-2011, 12:09 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
Are they counted as non-Hispanic whites? It would makes sense if they were counted as non-Hispanic whites. However, they're definitely Latino whites. I would have assumed that Brazilians would fall into the category "Hispanic or Latino of any race."
Brazilians aren't Hispanic or Latino. Hispanic/Latino people are people from, or who have ancestral roots in Spain or Latin American Spanish-speaking countries. This excludes Brazil entirely, because Brazilians generally speak Portuguese. It would also exclude Guyanese, Surinamese, and French Guianans.

This is why you don't have a section for "Brazilians" on the census' Hispanic/Latino chart. You can find Brazilians in the "Ancestry" list.

Every person counted in the census is asked if
A: They are Hispanic or Latino (a yes or no question), and if so, what "type" (see page 3 here: http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/b...c2010br-04.pdf
B: What race they are: (White, Black, Asian, Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, American Indian/Alaska Native, or Other) Hispanic/Latinos can check any of these.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:14 AM

929 posts, read 1,902,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket
Brazilians aren't Hispanic or Latino. Hispanic/Latino people are people from, or who have ancestral roots in Spain or Latin American Spanish-speaking countries. This excludes Brazil entirely, because Brazilians generally speak Portuguese. It would also exclude Guyanese, Surinamese, and French Guianans.

This is why you don't have a section for "Brazilians" on the census' Hispanic/Latino chart. You can find Brazilians in the "Ancestry" list.

Every person counted in the census is asked if
A: They are Hispanic or Latino (a yes or no question), and if so, what "type" (see page 3 here: http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/b...c2010br-04.pdf
B: What race they are: (White, Black, Asian, Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, American Indian/Alaska Native, or Other) Hispanic/Latinos can check any of these.
I assumed Latino was a different term from Hispanic- Hispanic being Spanish-speaking and Latino meaning being from the Americas south of the United States (either Mexico, Central or South America). Under these definitions, Spaniards (from Spain) would be Hispanics, but not Latinos and Brazilians would be Latinos (since Brazil is in South America), as would Guyanese (since Guyana is in South America).

Old 05-31-2011, 02:25 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
I assumed Latino was a different term from Hispanic- Hispanic being Spanish-speaking and Latino meaning being from the Americas south of the United States (either Mexico, Central or South America). Under these definitions, Spaniards (from Spain) would be Hispanics, but not Latinos and Brazilians would be Latinos (since Brazil is in South America), as would Guyanese (since Guyana is in South America).
The census definitions of Hispanic and Latino are used as interchangeable umbrella terms. Hispanics or Latinos usually call themselves one or the other (and/or it is a geographical thing), usually not both.

From the White House website:
Quote:
Terminology for Hispanics.--OMB does not accept the recommendation to retain the single term "Hispanic." Instead, OMB has decided that the term should be "Hispanic or Latino." Because regional usage of the terms differs -- Hispanic is commonly used in the eastern portion of the United States, whereas Latino is commonly used in the western portion -- this change may contribute to improved response rates.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:55 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Man, me thinks someone from the US Census looked at my thread and took many of my ideas and put it in their latest report! Damn them!

http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/b...c2010br-04.pdf

Interesting report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.