Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:27 PM

673 posts, read 4,078,827 times

Advertisements

Indiana has two large colleges. One in West Lafayette and one in Bloomington. They have medium-sized campuses in Muncie and Indianapolis.

Indianapolis despite having a horrid infrastructure and very high violent crime rates has a great location, weather is rather moderate, housing values are extremely low and energy costs are extremely low also.
Also by midwestern standards the Indianapolis economy seems to be holding up rather well, its not in free-fall like some other metropolitan areas in the region.

Indiana also has lots and lots of trees and is very green. And the state borders and has counties in three major metropolitan areas: Chicago (world-city), Cincinnati and Louisville.

I like Indiana alot. I have been very negative about Indianapolis because for being with-in an hour of two of the largest universities of the country, with-in a few hours of one the world's largest cities they have really messed up with their horrible infrastructure. Indianapolis could have been such a good metropolitan area but it is very evident to any one who has been there it lacks extreme vision and its also became an increasingly violent city also.

Indianapolis and Cincinnati so much wasted potential it could almost send one to tears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 10:33 PM

117 posts, read 508,364 times
I think that the Midwest/Rust Best region will get its act together when :1.)they find a way to keep their best and their brightest from leaving the area, 2.)they find ways to move from their manufacturing roots ,3.)they get with the 21st century and 4.)install progressive-minded leaders in the government and business sectors.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:38 PM

143 posts, read 875,778 times
They can start getting thier act together once they stop refering to themselves as the "rustbelt"...The name has a negative conotation that dosent apply to alot of the cities today..

Old 07-10-2007, 06:04 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,469,654 times
The OP is lucky they said something good about Ann Arbor (my home town)

the problem with these places is the huge amounts of union jobs they have/don't have. Unions had their place a long time ago, but now they're more of a curse.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:18 AM

42,080 posts, read 75,606,956 times
Ohio, Michigan and Indiana aren't the only states that need to "get their act together," by your definition; why single them out? And, depending on what one does for a living, Michigan could be a boom area. It's all relative.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:18 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,919,074 times
"its" would be an UrbanOhio thing, but I assure you that Michigan is not "the worst part of Ohio." Michigan is still its own semi-sovereign state, like the other 49 in the union. Lansing will still send you a tax bill if you want one ... and even if you don't want one.

Hoosiers are basically Buckeyes in denial, which is good, because Buckeyes without attitude are merely daft, which is not as bad as being both, as Eric Cartman always says: "you stupid a******"!

Notice that the people in South Park walk with their own two feet and at least respond to propaganda with half-intelligent thought. South Park is clearly not in Ohio.

Thus, the proper question is "when are Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio gonna get each of their acts figured out," but the answer is already:

1) Michigan will, given enough time to try out all the wrong alternatives.
2) Indiana has ... it's seceded to the South.
3) Ohio never will, so why waste your time waiting?

Old 07-17-2007, 01:01 PM

607 posts, read 2,986,506 times
I agree with m type x, but once the car industry goes back up the jobs will come back. michigan is ready to come back up and they are.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:38 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,919,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1256 View Post
I agree with m type x, but once the car industry goes back up the jobs will come back. michigan is ready to come back up and they are.
They're not coming back, and why would we want them?

Old 07-21-2007, 10:15 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,678,757 times
Michigans got a much lower chance of coming back than Ohio.Or is Detroit somehow better than Cleveland now.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:59 PM

656 posts, read 2,321,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown68 View Post
I think that the Midwest/Rust Best region will get its act together when :1.)they find a way to keep their best and their brightest from leaving the area, 2.)they find ways to move from their manufacturing roots ,3.)they get with the 21st century and 4.)install progressive-minded leaders in the government and business sectors.
1.) Absolutely. The educated, degreed youth are taking service industry jobs elsewhere. If Ohio were to retain their graduates for even 5 to 10 years (from more than just OSU, mind you), that would be a start. How? That's the tricky part. America's evolving into a service sector economy, and Ohio's got to be right there with it. I favor cutting businesses slack in state taxes to encourage development. This CAT tax that was drawn up is complete garbage. There's so much governmental fat in this state, we have to invent more taxes to keep the ship afloat. How embarrassing!

2.) I agree to an extent, because this philosophy can go too far. My goal would be to have a large array of job opportunities for the citizens. This accomodates those who don't have the mental ability to get with the program, and those that vehemently don't want to change. Helping them out will only benefit the unemployment rates, and save on welfare.

3.) This is too broad a statement and needs clarification.

4.) While the term "Progressive-Minded" needs a definition, the People may "install" public officials during the elections. However, I must add that business sector leaders are not. One would argue stockholders may hold elections, but when there's quite a bit of private business around, that's a weak argument. The best policy is to RETAIN the best and the brightest for strong leadership in the business sector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader View Post
They can start getting thier act together once they stop refering to themselves as the "rustbelt"...The name has a negative conotation that dosent apply to alot of the cities today..
Nicknames usually fade away when people from outside the region stop using them. Self-proclaimed names are a tough sell (i.e. - our area being called "The Great Lakes Region" vs. the Midwest).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
the problem with these places is the huge amounts of union jobs they have/don't have. Unions had their place a long time ago, but now they're more of a curse.
Yes, I do believe the Unions have flexed their muscles way too often and have left states like Michigan with black eyes. Should they be completely eliminated? No, that'll put us back to square one. However, they really need to tone it down a bit or else all their jobs will be sent to Mexico, China, Taiwan, and Canada. There needs to be a large attitude change to work with businesses instead of agitating owners to the point where the go somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
"its" would be an UrbanOhio thing, but I assure you that Michigan is not "the worst part of Ohio." Michigan is still its own semi-sovereign state...
All I can say about this post is: wow. Not wow in the impressed fashion, rather wow as in sheer disbelief.

Notice how he's reassuring everyone that Michigan is "not the worst part of Ohio," when nobody here has even leveled such an accusation? Then he goes on to reformat the original question into one which fits his own pompous viewpoint.

If you are so disinterested in Ohio as you act, then maybe you should just focus on your state's problems. I think that would be a win-win situation for everyone here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
They're not coming back, and why would we want them?
Michigan would take back the Auto Industry with open arms. Why?

A.) Comfort. They know with whom they are dealing.

and

B.) There would be less of a need restart the cities to accomodate a different industry (i.e. new buildings, infrastructure, transplants, et cetera).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.