Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2010, 09:57 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
I have no desire to be a Texan. Not everyone wants to be one. Sorry to burst that bubble. I prefer to drive something other than a pickup truck. I prefer to not judge every person on my block because they look different. I prefer to actually have money in my pocket and not spend it on cheap booze.
What bubble are you talking about bursting? Do you honestly think anyone down here gives a fiddler's damn as to what your own preferred list of favorite places to be, are? LMAO

If you don't want to be a Texan/Southerner...then don't move down here. What is so hard to understand about that?

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-23-2010 at 10:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 10:03 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
I have no desire to be a Texan. Not everyone wants to be one. Sorry to burst that bubble. I prefer to drive something other than a pickup truck. I prefer to not judge every person on my block because they look different. I prefer to actually have money in my pocket and not spend it on cheap booze.
South hating bigot. On every thread even remotely having to do with the south. Take your bigoted hatred, and go. Credibility zero.
(See what I did there folks? I love irony)

Old 11-23-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I have to disagree with you here. The problem arises when large percentages of the population want to cater only to each other, and a smaller percentage of the population is left with inferior services, and becomes second class citizens. We have some precedent for this in the United States, and then there was the whole Civil Rights Movement thing.

Allowing even privately owned business to discriminate based on race, sex, religion, etc.. is a road towards ignorance and intolerance that I feel like we are just emerging from. I want to stay far, far away from those woods.
Ok...so what if they do? That is, a large part of the population want to cater only to each other and the smaller left with inferior services?

Doesn't that actually provide an incentive for those with inferior services to provide a better service for those neglected? Such creates businesses and jobs and more business!

I very much see what you are saying, and agree on many levels. But I think a point being missed is that, ultimately, a private business/property belongs to the owner, not the government. Don't you agree?

So WHAT if a white guy puts a sign and says "We Serve Whites Only"? So what if a black woman needs some help in her place and and says "No Whites Need Apply"? Or all combinations of apply, hire, fire, serve, etc, with Hispanics, Asians, blonds, brown-eyed, curly haired, etc, etc?

Is that really going to hurt either me or you, or any one else? As it is, such things often create business of their own. I remember reading a while back of a couple of guys who decided to start a business of their own based off the concrete fact that some pizza places refused to deliver in certain parts of this particular town. Because the absolute fact of the matter was that it was a very dangerous part of town and drivers had about a 50/50 chance of emerging un-accosted.

Now, some might call the refusal on the part of the business to deliver into that part of that particular town "racial profiling" an area. But it really boiled down to that they could not hire drivers because people who came from the segement they could hire knew the town and were not going to do things that might -- far above average chance -- get them killed, robbed, knifed, terrorized, etc. It is one thing to pass laws that prohibit discrimination...it is another to have to actually be required to live with the real life consequences. And the latter knows no color boundaries.

OK. Here comes in the free-market. A couple of guys in the said dangerous neighborhood decide to take advantage of what everyone really knows. THEY form a sort of "go-between" party. They pick up the pizza, and deliver it themselves, for a commission and cut! Everybody is happy. Money made on both sides! Why not? And the guy who says "Whites Only"? Or the woman who says "No Whites Need Apply"? Doesn't that open up an opportunity for others who might want to advertize the opposite right across the street?

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-24-2010 at 12:25 AM..

Old 11-23-2010, 11:05 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Then quit coming down here and acting like "yankees"!

Seriously, like GF said, in so many words, the term is just part of the Southern historical/cultural vernacular. Just as it is part of the New England, or British or Aussie slang.

Hell, should a quaint little candle shop or historic lighthouse in the NE rid itself of "yankee" as part of their logo and/or trade-mark? Personally, I would be VERY disappointed if I toured the gorgeous New England States and not run across some little out of the way place that didn't have "YANKEE" as part of their sign.

From the flipside, the use of "yankee" in the South is coorelated to the person and context and situation. It is not intrinsically negative.

Don't presume to lecture us -- Openheads -- on how we should or should not apply it. That is not your call to make. You want to be treated like one of us? Then try and be one of us. You will find no friendlier place on this earth. Want to get called a "damyankee"? Then act like one. Someone who doesn't know the difference is usually the perfect example.

You can be our best friends and neighbors and we want you to be. But shun it? Then SouthWest Airlines/Delta are ready when you are!
Keep anesthetizing yourself into thinking you are not using it as a negative. You could not even maintain the charade long enough in your own post to reveal that you use it as a negative. Of course it's a negative. "WE have to prove YOU wrong". That chip on your shoulder is not easy to conceal.
In the end.................................. I don't really care. I'm not moving to the South, ever.
But just understand that your misplaced anger & perceived cultural frustration is made no better by your actions. It's just a cultural footnote stored away in my brain that makes me shake my head & chuckle at you.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Keep anesthetizing yourself into thinking you are not using it as a negative. You could not even maintain the charade long enough in your own post to reveal that you use it as a negative. Of course it's a negative. "WE have to prove YOU wrong". That chip on your shoulder is not easy to conceal.
In the end.................................. I don't really care. I'm not moving to the South, ever.
But just understand that your misplaced anger & perceived cultural frustration is made no better by your actions. It's just a cultural footnote stored away in my brain that makes me shake my head & chuckle at you.
*yawns* Sorry....did you say something?

...or were you just whistling Dixie?

Old 11-23-2010, 11:18 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
*yawns* Sorry....did you say something?

...or were you just whistling Dixie?
Quite a stimulating retort..........................................

Old 11-24-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Quite a stimulating retort..........................................
Well, you gotta forgive me for not providing live entertainment.....Hells bells....what was your point anyway? I forgot. Damn.

Something about "yankee", wasn't it? *scratches head here...*

Was it that we Southerners need to re-consider and revamp and re-evaluate our whole historical/cultural vocabulary because, when it comes right down to it, it is just a just a defensive mechanism, and we should all know it is counter-productive? That a higher standard of comparisson exists of which you can enlighten us all as to its intricacies and nuances?

Would love to hear your thesis in more detail in the morning or whatever. But for the moment....here is the most "stimulating" reply I can give to your posts. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. G'night!

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-24-2010 at 12:14 AM..

Old 11-24-2010, 01:46 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,276 times
Quote:
Well, you gotta forgive me for not providing live entertainment.....Hells bells....what was your point anyway? I forgot. Damn.

Something about "yankee", wasn't it? *scratches head here...*

Was it that we Southerners need to re-consider and revamp and re-evaluate our whole historical/cultural vocabulary because, when it comes right down to it, it is just a just a defensive mechanism, and we should all know it is counter-productive? That a higher standard of comparisson exists of which you can enlighten us all as to its intricacies and nuances?

Would love to hear your thesis in more detail in the morning or whatever. But for the moment....here is the most "stimulating" reply I can give to your posts. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. G'night!
Open Heads has clearly not laid down enough periods in this thread. I am here to pick up the slack............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................

Old 11-24-2010, 05:38 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Ok...so what if they do? That is, a large part of the population want to cater only to each other and the smaller left with inferior services?

Doesn't that actually provide an incentive for those with inferior services to provide a better service for those neglected? Such creates businesses and jobs and more business!

I very much see what you are saying, and agree on many levels. But I think a point being missed is that, ultimately, a private business/property belongs to the owner, not the government. Don't you agree?

So WHAT if a white guy puts a sign and says "We Serve Whites Only"? So what if a black woman needs some help in her place and and says "No Whites Need Apply"? Or all combinations of apply, hire, fire, serve, etc, with Hispanics, Asians, blonds, brown-eyed, curly haired, etc, etc?

Is that really going to hurt either me or you, or any one else? As it is, such things often create business of their own. I remember reading a while back of a couple of guys who decided to start a business of their own based off the concrete fact that some pizza places refused to deliver in certain parts of this particular town. Because the absolute fact of the matter was that it was a very dangerous part of town and drivers had about a 50/50 chance of emerging un-accosted.

Now, some might call the refusal on the part of the business to deliver into that part of that particular town "racial profiling" an area. But it really boiled down to that they could not hire drivers because people who came from the segement they could hire knew the town and were not going to do things that might -- far above average chance -- get them killed, robbed, knifed, terrorized, etc. It is one thing to pass laws that prohibit discrimination...it is another to have to actually be required to live with the real life consequences. And the latter knows no color boundaries.

OK. Here comes in the free-market. A couple of guys in the said dangerous neighborhood decide to take advantage of what everyone really knows. THEY form a sort of "go-between" party. They pick up the pizza, and deliver it themselves, for a commission and cut! Everybody is happy. Money made on both sides! Why not? And the guy who says "Whites Only"? Or the woman who says "No Whites Need Apply"? Doesn't that open up an opportunity for others who might want to advertize the opposite right across the street?
I'm a Black man and of course I absolutely abhor the oppression and discrimination that my people went through for a good part of this nation's history, but I will say that you do have a point here. I think that over the long term, economic interests trump prejudices and an organic evolutionary process of business models proves more beneficial on multiple sides of the fence. While the government meant and means well with anti-discrimination legislation, I think that it interrupts such a process and results in less-than-ideal economic results on a community level.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:19 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I'm a Black man and of course I absolutely abhor the oppression and discrimination that my people went through for a good part of this nation's history, but I will say that you do have a point here. I think that over the long term, economic interests trump prejudices and an organic evolutionary process of business models proves more beneficial on multiple sides of the fence. While the government meant and means well with anti-discrimination legislation, I think that it interrupts such a process and results in less-than-ideal economic results on a community level.
An intellectual case can be made to support the right of private individual to discriminate, however, don't forget that a significant portion of discrimination during the Jim Crow era was de jure. Even in the absence of de jure policy, de facto discrimination was often backed up by extrajudicial State violence. I'm fairly sure no one here is arguing in defense of that history.

A separate point is that the Civil Rights era took place during the peak of the Cold War and there were geopolitical considerations at play. Remember, this was considered to be a life and death struggle against the freedom-hating, God-less Communists. At that time, the US was attempting to rally 3rd-world client states to its side. It was a very difficult argument to make to the 3rd world (including many African states) that the US was the beacon of freedom and equality when blatant de jure and de fact discrimination against Blacks was the standard policy in much of America.

I'd be interested to see someone try to make the intellectual case that we'd be better off as a country without the Civil Rights acts of the 1960s. While they didn't magically make things perfect, I think the benefits outweigh the downsides.

PS: I'll be the first to admit that the North is not blameless with regards to racism/discrimination.

Last edited by oakparkdude; 11-24-2010 at 08:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.