Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 06:55 PM

66 posts, read 829,058 times

Advertisements

I plan on relocating to the Midwest, particularly the northwestern part. And have basically narrowed the choices down to Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, or North Dakota. Anyone who has lived thruout these areas please help give me some insight on the pros and cons and what would be the best area in your opinion. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2006, 08:46 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,007,067 times
I saw your post on the Minnesota page too. Really depends on what you are looking for medium size city, small town, or large city and climate.

Of all areas mentioned I would personally pick Fargo North Dakota. It has low crime, good schools, growing by leaps and bounds with all the stores, etc you would want. But yet 3 hours to the Twin Cities. Now, if you dont like cold and wind, it may not be the place. I live in the northern Red River valley in extreme northwest Miinnesota, and the winters up here are way way colder than southern Minnesota and the Cities. We dont get any more snow than south of here, but it stays on the ground all winter long. So, Fargo is great if you dont mind the cold. Otherwise, I have been through the states mentioned and would recommend Rochester in MN, Lincoln for NE, and Cedar Rapids/Iowa City for IA. I went to school in Ames IA and loved it there too.

I love it personally way up north, but the winters are considerably colder than Minneapolis and points south.

I can be more specific on Fargo, etc if you want. Let me know.

Old 07-31-2006, 02:11 AM

thanks for the insight bro. i've heard many good things about Fargo. I had for the longest of time been leaning towards somewhere in southern minnesota. then i started reading all these crazy stories of mosquitos in the state! i live on the gulf coast in the south and so we have our problems with mosquitos too, but from what i hear it sound like everytime you go outside in minnesota you are going to get swarmed by them. is it really that bad?

Old 07-31-2006, 03:05 PM

In some years, the mosquitos are very bad....but cities do spray a lot during wet years. A year ago the city of Grand Forks had the local Air Force base fly planes to spray. The main issue was of course the presence of west Nile virus that has shown up around the nation in horses, etc. But, yeah depending on how wet the summer is, the mosquitos are quite bad, worse than in Kentucky where I grew up. Now, a lot of people have those big mosquito control machines in their backyards to help reduce them, so there are ways to enjoy the outside during the worse of times. But I know never to wear shorts while mowing as if we have had a wet cycle then the mosquitos will be out in force and bite the living daylights out of you.

The problem is worse in the red river valley (as it is so flat the rain water tends to collect in ponds,puddles, instead of draining) and in Minnesota lakes country due to all the lakes. Mosquitos are bad too up in Canada.

This year has been very unusual in that it has been very very dry so no mosquitos at all, you can actually go outside.

That is why fall is the best time of year...after the first freeze, when the mosquitos are killed off, and before the cold and snow hits. The best time if late Sept until about Halloween. After Nov 1, we are fair game this far north for cold....not as cold down in southern Minnesota where their temps are quite mild during the winter by comparison.

Dan

Old 07-31-2006, 07:03 PM

what about the roads and highways in the winter? are they real dangerous? i've never lived where it snows so this will def be new to me

Old 07-31-2006, 09:45 PM

So you have never lived where it has snowed? Well, I read your other post on Minnesota board. Rochester is a good place, a bit more hilly in that part of the state. All of Minnesota and Iowa for that matter can get a couple of decent snows a winter so definitely learning to drive on ice/snow is very important. Being Rochester is a bit hilly, I would suggest dont be nervous and the all important go slow! The first snow of the season is when all the accidents occur it seems as people get their defensive skills back. The big thing is braking action is very much different on snow/ice than dry pavement and if you have a vehicle with anti lock brakes that would help. Just break slowly and leave plenty of room to do so. But I would say driving is no more dangerous in the winter than summer, as summer time with dry pavement you tend to be pay a lot less attention and go faster, which more than offset winter driving when you drive slower and as I say "with both hands firmly gripping the steering wheel". I have had plenty of white nuckle drives.

Minnesota uses quite a bit salt and down in southern Minnesota it is a bit warmer so better chances that the snow on the main roads will turn more slushy and then wet then where I live further north.

Fargo tends to get a lot more wind and blowing snow than Rochester because it is flatter. North Dakota does not use salt, but rather sand, because salt does not work well in very low temperatures. I live 70 miles north of Fargo, and our city tends to plow only after snows of 4 inches or more, and because it is so cold we never really see a thaw so the roads stay pretty icy all winter long. Sand is spread at intersections which does really help traction. Speaking of which, a four-wheel drive vehicle is helpful, while not necessary by any means, it does help to have a vehicle which sets up higher. It is easier to see around snow piles. Also, where I live, a lot of people have heater plug ins for their vehicles when parking outside for extended periods. Most apartments in the northern part of Minnesota and North Dakota have plug ins and cords for people to use. But with a newer car and battery, only really need it 1-2 times a year, mainly when it is below 20 below. But I dont want to scare you off, Rochester, while cold is not as bad as where I live.

Rochester is a doctor's town with Mayo clinic there and IBM too (I think).

My advice is to come up for a few days in January and see how you like the colder weather. I love the colder weather and hate hot/humid...so it fits me.

Dan

Old 08-02-2006, 02:58 AM

well, one of the main reasons i want out of louisiana is b/c of how hot it is. in the summer the avg everday is in the 90's. and we basically have summer all year round...maybe a few months out the year we wear long sleeves...like late dec to early feb. last christmas we had a pool party at a friends house.

Old 08-02-2006, 03:10 AM

I read some of the posts on the Minnesota page....and I would defintely come up and spend a few days in the winter in the town you want to move to, whether its Rochester MN or somewhere in Iowa. I went to school at Iowa State University and loved Ames. Down there winters are not so long and broken up by some milder weather, but certainly not mild like you are used to. But very cold weather is not for everyone, and some hate it. I am the opposite and dislike the hot and humid stuff and love the winter. But whatever you do, pick a few places you might want to live and visit in the cold season so you can see how you like it. Snow may look pretty from a distance, but once you see it on the ground for 4 months straight it can get old.

good luck

Dan

Old 08-02-2006, 11:28 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,454,401 times
Default Midwest

I agree with the last poster. You'll definitely want to spend a couple of weeks in January in the area that you chose. All of the areas you mentioned can get very cold and a lot of snow in the winter. We don't have as much humidity as you have, but we can get some very hot summers, too. I live in SD and that wasn't one of the choices, but if it was, I'd chose Rapid City, Spearfish, or Sioux Falls. You and I are opposites. I absolutely love the warm weather and can't stand the cold.
Just wanted to add that SD has no state income tax.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:11 PM

haha that's probably b/c you're so used to living in the cold. like me, i can't stand the summers b/c they are ridiculously hot and it's basically like that all year. so i rather be in a colder state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.