Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2010, 09:23 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,364 times

Advertisements

How would you regionalize the country, or even the regions? Do you see glaringly similar characteristics between various places to label them as being of the same region, and differences enough to say, "that's another region"? If so, then tell us how you'd classify different places according to their similarities, in order to place them in regions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 11:01 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
How would you regionalize the country, or even the regions? Do you see glaringly similar characteristics between various places to label them as being of the same region, and differences enough to say, "that's another region"? If so, then tell us how you'd classify different places according to their similarities, in order to place them in regions.
Gosh, SSF, I don't think this one has ever been done before! LOL

Seriously, not trying to be a smarta$$. I would go this way. And I am basing it in terms of historical/cultural similarites (which takes into account settlement patterns, dialect, political leanings, religious affiliations and membership, etc).

Broadly...

The South: The 11 Old Confederate States (SC, MS, Fl, AL, GA, LA, TX, VA, AR, TN, NC) plus Kentucky, West Virginia, and Oklahoma.

The Northeast/East: Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, New Hampshire, Vermont, Connecticutt, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Maine

The Midwest: All states west of the East/Northeast, and directly north of the South.

The West: All states west of the Midwest and South.

A bit more specifically, and speaking in terms of whole states (because many states are "divided" as such)?

The South:

Deep South: Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina
Upper South: Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, North Carolina, West Virginia
Western South: Texas, Oklahoma
...and then there is Florida!

Northeast:

South Mid-Atlantic: Maryland, Delaware
North Mid-Atlantic: New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York
New England: New Hampshire, Vermont, Connecticutt, Massachussetts, Rhode Island, Maine

West:

Mountain West: Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Utah
Northwest: Idaho, Washington, Oregon
Southwest: New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada
...and then there is California!

Midwest:

Plains: Kansas, Nebraska, North and South Dakota, Iowa,
Great Lakes: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan
Lower Midwest: Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio

Ok. There is my take on the subject.

BTW -- Thanks a lot for starting this thread, Stars and Stripes. My fiance is a native of Colorado, and lived quite a few years in Michigan. And she totally disagrees with some of my groupings as concerns the West and Midwest. Oh well, I stand by it and I guess I can forget any affection for a day or so! LOL

Seriously, although variations on this topic have been done before, you did phrase it in an interesting and contemplative way.

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-11-2010 at 11:22 AM..

Old 12-11-2010, 11:05 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
How would you regionalize the country,
Like this:

Old 12-12-2010, 06:04 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,180,402 times
^ I agree the census does it the best.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:25 PM

9 posts, read 38,585 times
That census map is all wrong, they must be on acid.

Heres the real regional map:

The REAL region map - Google Maps

Old 12-12-2010, 11:53 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
New England and other

Old 12-13-2010, 01:47 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,770,817 times
My map below is not as detailed as it should be, but just a general ideal.
Attached Thumbnails
How would you regionalize the country?-untitled.png  

Last edited by timeofseasons; 12-13-2010 at 01:58 AM..

Old 12-13-2010, 01:59 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,973 times
TexasReb's was pretty accurate, although I would toss Idaho in with the Mountain West of Montana, Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado, rather than the Pacific Northwest of Washington and Oregon.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:24 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
TexasReb's was pretty accurate, although I would toss Idaho in with the Mountain West of Montana, Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado, rather than the Pacific Northwest of Washington and Oregon.
Yeah, you have a very good point. Both Idaho and Nevada were tough ones.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:40 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,125,749 times
West - California to Colorado
East - Kansas to Maine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.