Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 11:59 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,087 times

Advertisements

Having living in a city among two of the greatest rivers in the world, the Missouri and the Mississippi, I have always found something aesthetically pleasing about this city being located along these great bodies of water. It seems to have a glow to it...something special. Cities like Chicago, Cleveland, Minneapolis, Louisville, and Detroit have this same type of thing....I don't know what it is about a body of water that makes a city so aesthetically pleasing..it just gives a city a certain amount of extraordinary beauty. Any thoughts on why big rivers and other large bodies of water give cities along them such vibrant culture and spirit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 12:04 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,910 times
You're, of course, talking about the graphic representation of structures looming over water and not cities actually located next to water, right?

Old 09-06-2007, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
You're, of course, talking about the graphic representation of structures looming over water and not cities actually located next to water, right?
lol...I'm talking about cities that either have a coastline along their downtowns or big rivers running by their downtowns and just what is it to you, the responder to my question, that makes them appear so radiant and beautiful. Simply a thread asking for people's opinions on this matter.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:21 AM

1,845 posts, read 6,853,538 times
Well I live by the coast and there is tons of water here. The bay sits by the downtown area. I think what makes it look different is partly the reflection of light coming off the water. Then there is the slight seawater smell which is not bad.Here we often get an ocean breeze in the afternoon which keeps it the temperatures cool. Depending on your location you may see a boat floating along.

The water seems to give the place a relaxed feeling.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:28 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,304,518 times
Phoenix has the Salt River. When it floods once every ten years, we get a nice body of water for a day!

Old 09-06-2007, 03:13 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
Well I live by the coast and there is tons of water here. The bay sits by the downtown area. I think what makes it look different is partly the reflection of light coming off the water. Then there is the slight seawater smell which is not bad.Here we often get an ocean breeze in the afternoon which keeps it the temperatures cool. Depending on your location you may see a boat floating along.

The water seems to give the place a relaxed feeling.
I've been to Portland; doesn't a river run through it? I wasn't aware its CBD was on the coast. Now that I remember, the downtown is up against the hills, with a river running north to south along its eastern perimeter.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:52 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,111 times
I think because many people like water. In Chicago, Lake Michigan is a gem. It's adds much beauty to our city and its skyline, it's a place to boat, swim, sail, fish from land, deep "sea' fish and powerboat. It's our water supply. As a child, I started taking the bus to the beach at 13 years old with friends, and we'd sit on the rocks and hang out for hours. In my early 20's I had a job at the ad agency, J. Walter Thompson and we used to go to Oak Street Beach at lunch at swim! Aside from the water itself, there are miles and miles of paths along the lake that people use walk, jog, rollerblade and bicycle. There are doggy beaches, volleyball courts, soccer games and a myriad of other things going on along the beach. Water is beautful and people pay dearly to live along it. Lake views can't be beat. The human body is mainly made up of water, water sustains life and nearly everyone finds enjoyment from being in water. For that reason, I personally, could not live in a city that did not have a large body of water that was swimable. I once lived along the Mississippi (in New Orleans) and it wasn't the same. It was mainly used for barge transporation and riverboat cruises, but was way too polluted to swim in. Lake Ponchatrain was the same. People were told to wear full scuba diving suits upon entering it.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
I think because many people like water. In Chicago, Lake Michigan is a gem. It's adds much beauty to our city and its skyline, it's a place to boat, swim, sail, fish from land, deep "sea' fish and powerboat. It's our water supply. As a child, I started taking the bus to the beach at 13 years old with friends, and we'd sit on the rocks and hang out for hours. In my early 20's I had a job at the ad agency, J. Walter Thompson and we used to go to Oak Street Beach at lunch at swim! Aside from the water itself, there are miles and miles of paths along the lake that people use walk, jog, rollerblade and bicycle. There are doggy beaches, volleyball courts, soccer games and a myriad of other things going on along the beach. Water is beautful and people pay dearly to live along it. Lake views can't be beat. The human body is mainly made up of water, water sustains life and nearly everyone finds enjoyment from being in water. For that reason, I personally, could not live in a city that did not have a large body of water that was swimable. I once lived along the Mississippi (in New Orleans) and it wasn't the same. It was mainly used for barge transporation and riverboat cruises, but was way too polluted to swim in. Lake Ponchatrain was the same. People were told to wear full scuba diving suits upon entering it.

Yea. I think the Mississippi may be too polluted to swim in even here in the Midwest. In New Orleans it is known as "Big Muddy." it becomes muddier and muddier with each additional river that flows into it. The Mississippi, truth be told, is not a matter of being too dirty to swim in...you can't swim in it period. The current is so strong it will overpower you. At least Lake Michigan has a tide that brings you back ashore Once the River has you, it's going "You're mine now mwahahaha"

Old 09-06-2007, 10:16 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
I live in the Twin Cities and we have lots of small lakes in both cities and across the suburbs. And of course we have the Mississippi running right through both downtowns. All this water adds lots of charm and yes, a special feeling you don't find in cities with little liquid environment. But much as I like the lakes and rivers of the Twin Cities, I like Milwaukee, where I lived for a couple years, even better because it is bounded by Lake Michigan. There's something about looking out over a large body of water and not being able to see the other side, whether it is an ocean or a Great Lake. Also, I lived on the East Side, about 8 blocks from the lake, and we'd get very different weather patterns than areas west of downtown just a few blocks away (e.g., more snow, dense fog, and waemer winter temps). Kinda cool how powerful the lake effect is.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:30 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,905 times
I refuse to consider living in a city that isn't by a large body of water. I don't know what it is, but unless it is by one of the great-lakes or the ocean, it just doesn't quite feel right to me.

I lived in a small town for college that was far away from any water, and there was just something sort of 'off' about that experience, as, up until that point, I've never lived further than 20 minutes from shores of Lake Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.