Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:40 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crlyk4 View Post
I know that after WWII, William Levitt created Levittown on Long Island, and since then suburbs have flourished into cookie cutter houses with sub divisions and developments and the death of the downtown area.

I was wondering if there were suburbs before then, and if so where were they and do they still exist.
Is this a serious question? No, before WW2, everyone lived either in NYC, Chicago, or Boaton, except for five people who lived on a farm in Nebraska. The idea that people could actually live outside the city limits of central cities was discovered by Einstein in 1943.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 12:33 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,778,850 times
The Northern Liberties and Germantown neighborhoods in Philadelphia were suburbs of the city in the 18th century. The famous "main line" suburbs west of Philly were settled in the 19th century soon after the railroad came.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Suburbs have been around since there were cities.

For instance ... Many neighborhoods of Cincinnati were originally settled as suburbs of the city and later annexed by the city; the neighborhood I lived in was first settled in the late 1790s, established as a town in 1809. When the railroads were built, and then streetcars, the town became more and more populated, and was annexed by the city in 1911.
This is true of Denver as well. In fact, the entire northwest side (w. of the Platte River) used to be a separate city, Highlands. Highlands was annexed in about 1900. Many Denver suburbs were once little farm and mining towns.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:22 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Yes. I can't remember the name of the "first" suburb but I think it's like Forest Park, IL or somewhere in Chicago. Cities like NYC, Philly, etc. also have suburbs dating pre-war. Shaker Heights, OH would be another one that I'm more familiar with.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:06 AM

20 posts, read 40,826 times
"Is this a serious question? No, before WW2, everyone lived either in NYC, Chicago, or Boaton, except for five people who lived on a farm in Nebraska. The idea that people could actually live outside the city limits of central cities was discovered by Einstein in 1943."

Don't be rude. Not everyone majored in History.

Though I did major in History, and one of my papers covered suburbs. If you want to know about more than just Levittowns or streetcar 'burbs, read up on "green belts" and "garden cities." The history of manufactured homes is interesting, too. That includes not just trailers but also more "suburban" developments that were prefab.

PS - I imagine most of the original suburbs have been eaten up by their respective cities by now. They would still have a lot of their original houses, though, I would think.

Last edited by Rottenfester NY; 01-17-2011 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 01-19-2011, 11:38 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottenfester NY View Post
I imagine most of the original suburbs have been eaten up by their respective cities by now. They would still have a lot of their original houses, though, I would think.
In fact... In some places the whole neighborhood is a historic district

In Atlanta, Ansley Park was primarily built from 1904 to 1930 and is a huge growth barrier for Midtown Atlanta

Atlanta, GA - Google Maps

Capital View was made in the same era... It is very indicative of middle class streetcar-> car crossover suburb.

The Virginia Highlands are indicative of streetcar era suburbs (pre-car)

Old 01-20-2011, 04:43 PM

537 posts, read 818,853 times
A lot of the suburbs built right on the edge of large cities were the original, pre-WW2 suburbs. During the 1950s and 1960s, as the new suburbs formed modern "suburbia", the older suburbs came to be considered "inner city". Areas such as Oak Park in Chicago, the NYC borough Queens, and Inglewood in Los Angeles are examples of the old suburbs.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:26 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Of course there are pre-1945 suburbs. In fact some of Chicago neighborhoods were once towns of there own. Hyde Park, Lincoln Park, and Beverly used to be towns/suburbs of their own before they got annexed.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:04 AM

165 posts, read 530,452 times
Takoma Park MD, supposed was Washington DC's first streetcar suburbs, built in the 1890s.

In one of the original Sherlock Holmes mystery stories, he mentions London's vast suburbs extending out. This was in the 1880s- 1890s.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:28 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Of course there are pre-1945 suburbs. In fact some of Chicago neighborhoods were once towns of there own. Hyde Park, Lincoln Park, and Beverly used to be towns/suburbs of their own before they got annexed.
Right, Lake View was a suburb of Chicago way back in the 1800's. The difference was normally a suburb couldn't get the critical mass at the time to create police forces, infrastructure, water, fire, schools, etc. etc. So normally after they reached a certain point, they would vote, or elect or whatever the norm was in that location to be absorbed into the core city.
This is how Chicago ate Lakeview. Normally people were quite happy with this, since services would increase.

The issues started when the core cities started seeing problems and taxes went up, growth stagnated, etc. Then there was less desire by the new little suburbs and housing plots popping up around these cities to assimilate. They could be competitive now in taxes, etc. and would choose to stay independent. They also (obviously) did so to avoid having to share in the core cities problems.

Some states though give the larger core cities much more control over annexation. Like Texas. It's how Houston keeps growing in size and eating a lot of these unincorporated burbs.

Omaha also has dibs to annex areas around it, which is why it has very few suburbs. They become part of Omaha. Des Moines, Iowa on the other hand makes the larger cities jump through hoops and barrels before they can annex. It's much harder, and it's why most suburbs there don't become part of Des Moines - they can fight it off. Hence why Des Moines has 13 incorporated suburbs smashed up against its own city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.