Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 12:23 PM

214 posts, read 427,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
was this a ignorant racial post?
See you know nothing at all! No it isn't. The poster simply meant thats the one of the reasons why Californians are fleeing because of the three strike rule which hands down a mandory and extended period of incarceration of those who been convicted of a serious criminal offence on three different occasions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 08:23 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,040 times
I can't believe somebody asked why "Washington and Baltimore could be southern but not Wilmington."

BECAUSE WILMINGTON IS NORTH OF BOTH OF THEM, BY 60-100 miles. Wilmington is associated with Philadelphia, not Baltimore, and not D.C.

I try not to post on the ghetto threads anymore (where nobody can spell right, people curse, and post rappers on youtube videos - you guys are pathetic,) but I don't want people thinking that Wilmington has anything to do with the south or southern culture.

Wilmington is traditionally Roman Catholic, does not serve grits, sweet tea, does not have any southern accent whatsoever, and does not identify with the south at all.

There is a gray area, and that gray area IS MD and DC. It's not Northern Delaware - don't try to push it into the south because you're angry that D.C. is being called southern. Please cull your retardations just a bit.

Southern Delaware might be as southern as it wants to be, but that doesn't affect anything 80 miles north in Wilmington. The census doesn't determine culture either. Do you geniuses think that all of a sudden, since the Census calls Delaware southern that we all have to start wearing hats and boots and talking with a southern accent, drinking sweet tea?

I can't believe how poor people's logic is: Well, if "D.C. and Baltimore is southern, you have to be too." I would love to see the results of an IQ test on you guys.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:12 PM

12 posts, read 15,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post

The nation's African-American population continued its southward migration over the past decade, shifting a large part of the black middle class from northern states to faster-growing economies of the South.Among 25 big U.S. metro areas with the largest growth in African-American population between 2000 and 2009, 16 were in the South—including Atlanta and Dallas—according to the Census Bureau's American Community Survey. Among the big losers were cities in the North and West, including Detroit, Los Angeles and Cleveland.
The biggest gainer was Atlanta, a magnet for black professionals. Its metro area added about 500,000 African-Americans between the 2000 and 2009 period, and more than twice the next-largest numeric gainer, Dallas, according to an analysis of Census data by William H. Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C. Over the same period, the share of Atlanta's 25-and-over black population that had college degrees increased to 24.6% in 2009 from 21.5% in 2000.

South Draws U.S. Blacks - WSJ.com
Expect crime rates to go up in the South and down in the North.
Somehow I doubt it's the 'black professionals' migrating from city to city looking for cheap digs and low paying jobs.
Once you got a good thing (and a mortgage) you tend to settle down in one spot.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:40 PM

265 posts, read 330,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
The census doesn't determine culture either. Do you geniuses think that all of a sudden, since the Census calls Delaware southern that we all have to start wearing hats and boots and talking with a southern accent, drinking sweet tea?
Exaggerate much?

Old 02-05-2011, 10:58 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
YES!!!!!!! We need more blacks in Dallas!
Over 30% of the city of Dallas is Black Americans. What's the matter there aren't enough Black Americans in Oak Cliff, or South Dallas or North Dallas between Preston Road and 635 and Forest Lane and 635? Also the population of Black Americans in the nothern suburbs in slowing increasing.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:02 PM

314 posts, read 759,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmInternetUser View Post
Somehow I doubt it's the 'black professionals' migrating from city to city looking for cheap digs and low paying jobs.
By your same logic the whiteys migrating to Dixie in mass are also likely to increase the crime South too huh

Old 02-06-2011, 02:18 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
I can't believe somebody asked why "Washington and Baltimore could be southern but not Wilmington."

BECAUSE WILMINGTON IS NORTH OF BOTH OF THEM, BY 60-100 miles. Wilmington is associated with Philadelphia, not Baltimore, and not D.C.

I try not to post on the ghetto threads anymore (where nobody can spell right, people curse, and post rappers on youtube videos - you guys are pathetic,) but I don't want people thinking that Wilmington has anything to do with the south or southern culture.

So you can spell but your grammar is atrocious?I guess you think that makes you less ghetto

Wilmington is traditionally Roman Catholic, does not serve grits, sweet tea, does not have any southern accent whatsoever, and does not identify with the south at all.
You do realize than many parts of the South (like New Orleans and parts of Alabama)are Roman Catholic?

There is a gray area, and that gray area IS MD and DC. It's not Northern Delaware - don't try to push it into the south because you're angry that D.C. is being called southern. Please cull your retardations just a bit.
Delaware was a Slave state.As well as Maryland.Thats usually where the notion of what Southern is.As well has the history of Jim Crow.It was not just Southern Delaware

Southern Delaware might be as southern as it wants to be, but that doesn't affect anything 80 miles north in Wilmington. The census doesn't determine culture either. Do you geniuses think that all of a sudden, since the Census calls Delaware southern that we all have to start wearing hats and boots and talking with a southern accent, drinking sweet tea?
HELL-OOO...Dover is the capitol.You had riots and Jim Crow as late as the mid 60's!
I sugest you go visit St.Jseph Church and learn their history before you speak
Quote:
The African American Catholics in Wilmington did not have a church of their own and were segregated from the white parishioners in other churches by Delaware's Jim Crow Laws

St Joseph Church French St Wilmington DE History

I can't believe how poor people's logic is: Well, if "D.C. and Baltimore is southern, you have to be too." I would love to see the results of an IQ test on you guys.
Wow.Its one thing to be ignorant but to be so bold as question other peoples intelligence before arming yourself with a education is just....WOW!

Most people with high i.Q.s know that Southern culture as you put,has very little to do with Southern Rap but more haing to with having the first black millionaire and woman Sarah Breedlove(Madame C.J. Walker),The first black legislators and Governors,The nations oldest continuosly black run newspaper like the Atlanta Daily Voice,I can go on and on.But while bad things have happened in the South,plenty of lemonade was made out of lemons

Old 02-06-2011, 02:23 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmInternetUser View Post
Well it has gone down to pre 1960s levels in Atlanta and many Southern cities.
Atlanta now has most affluent black population after D.C.Also th highest black educated populace.
NYC is loosing its black population faster than any other race in the city.Its a fact that poor people dont move.They cannot afford too.You doubts are completely substantiated.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:03 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Wow.Its one thing to be ignorant but to be so bold as question other peoples intelligence before arming yourself with a education is just....WOW!

Most people with high i.Q.s know that Southern culture as you put,has very little to do with Southern Rap but more haing to with having the first black millionaire and woman Sarah Breedlove(Madame C.J. Walker),The first black legislators and Governors,The nations oldest continuosly black run newspaper like the Atlanta Daily Voice,I can go on and on.But while bad things have happened in the South,plenty of lemonade was made out of lemons
Here we go, talking about Jim Crow Laws, which were in New York, and ignoring the fact that New Jersey had slavery up to the very start of the civil war.

These threads are ATROCIOUS. I'm embarrassed for the people who construct paragraphs like you did. Your critical thinking, and adherence to the points of the previous poster is very poor. I'm not saying everyone should be perfect, I just am making the point that this is a discussion forum. Being a discussion forum, it's not a teen chat room, not a text to your girlfriend, not a note scribbled down on paper towel to put the dog out.

Read over the http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=188100 thread. See how structured it is? See how the posts legitimately discuss topics? Recognize the properly constructed paragraphs? That is how people discuss things on an internet forum.

And, as to Dover being anything important in Delaware - it really isn't. Delaware is three counties, two of which are not very densely populated. The true cultural and economic capital of Delaware is Wilmington.

What a tiny town like Dover did or didn't do hardly dictates the culture of the major city in the state, which is part of the same urbanized area as Philadelphia. If anything, Wilmington dictates the rest of the state, and probably kept it out of harm's way during the Civil War.

Last edited by Joe84323; 02-06-2011 at 10:20 AM..

Old 02-06-2011, 10:54 AM

257 posts, read 458,374 times
Quote:

Whens the last time you had any sex?
Because that essay you just wrote is total bullsh*t...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.