Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 03:17 PM

22 posts, read 42,105 times

Advertisements

are there still any towns left with those small family carnivals, rodeos, country accents, cowboys and etc........where are they? im from the north and i LOVE that culture!! much funner than stupid, boring and liberal north
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 03:22 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,424 times
Sounds like you're looking for the set of the Andy Griffith show. Short answer is- no- not really. Also- cowboys aren't really a part of Southern culture. Texas would be more like it if you want Cowboys.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:38 PM

68 posts, read 110,068 times
If you are looking for cowboys and rodeos head out west like Montana, Wyoming etc.

if you are looking for southern culture - front porches, friendly folks, going to church on sundays, southern accents and food you can't go wrong in any city in the deep south.

I would suggest my town, Baton Rouge, LA Shreveport, Louisiana Houston, Texas Savannah, GA or Nashville, TN. I can only comment on cities that I have been to.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:52 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
You can find small towns somewhat like that throughout Tennessee, and I'd imagine much of the south. But substitute "cowboys and rodeos" with "rednecks and dirt track racing", though you may find a rodeo around here occasionally.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:46 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_missouri View Post
are there still any towns left with those small family carnivals, rodeos, country accents, cowboys and etc........where are they? im from the north and i LOVE that culture!! much funner than stupid, boring and liberal north
Small town Oklahoma fits the bill. We're a rowdier version of the South. We're much more westernized and Rednecky (Badge of Honor)......at least this ol' Indian/Cowboy is.

Oklahoma and many parts of Tejas have a lot more "cowboy" culture than other parts of the South. Just a thought.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:04 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Like others I think of Cowboys as more Western. The "Pro-Rodeo Hall of Fame" is apparently in Colorado Springs. Oklahoma has a fair amount of Rodeo though if you consider it a Southern state. (I don't really, but the Eastern part is a related culture)

To go more into the South-proper I guess around Memorial Day Fort Smith, Arkansas has the "Old Fort Days Rodeo", which will have its 78th.

Kay Rodgers Park : Fort Smith, AR

Louisiana has the "Angola Prison Rodeo."

Angola Rodeo | Louisiana State Penitentiary

Jackson, Mississippi has the "Dixie National Rodeo."

MDAC - Dixie National Rodeo and Livestock Show (http://www.mdac.state.ms.us/n_library/departments/fair_com/far_col_dixienational.html - broken link)

Texas has several. A couple notable ones are the "San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo" and the "Mesquite Championship Rodeo."

San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo - Home
Welcome to the Mesquite Championship Rodeo at the Resistol Arena | Mesquite, Texas - Mesquite Championship Rodeo

For old Southern stuff Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, and West Virginia (if you deem it Southern) seem possible. They all have a relatively low percent of their people be from other states. I get the sense you want white non-Cajun Southern culture so small-to-medium towns in Kentucky and West Virginia might be the best bet for you. Although "Mountain Southern" culture is different than "Lowland Southern culture" in many ways. (That thing of Southerners being overly polite and not saying stuff to your face? Yeah in my experience we Mountain Southerners aren't like that quite so much. I mean our people will say "Ma'am" and "Sir", but our culture often values being blunt and opinionated. The culture has a more Scotch-Irish ancestry with less pretenses of being aristocratic.) If you want old non-Cajun "Lowlands Southern white" culture I would guess Mississippi and non-coastal South Carolina.

Map: U.S. Migration Flows | Pew Social & Demographic Trends

Old 03-04-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Like others I think of Cowboys as more Western. The "Pro-Rodeo Hall of Fame" is apparently in Colorado Springs. Oklahoma has a fair amount of Rodeo though if you consider it a Southern state. (I don't really, but the Eastern part is a related culture)

To go more into the South-proper I guess around Memorial Day Fort Smith, Arkansas has the "Old Fort Days Rodeo", which will have its 78th.

Kay Rodgers Park : Fort Smith, AR

Louisiana has the "Angola Prison Rodeo."

Angola Rodeo | Louisiana State Penitentiary

Jackson, Mississippi has the "Dixie National Rodeo."

MDAC - Dixie National Rodeo and Livestock Show (http://www.mdac.state.ms.us/n_library/departments/fair_com/far_col_dixienational.html - broken link)

Texas has several. A couple notable ones are the "San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo" and the "Mesquite Championship Rodeo."

San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo - Home
Welcome to the Mesquite Championship Rodeo at the Resistol Arena | Mesquite, Texas - Mesquite Championship Rodeo

For old Southern stuff Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, and West Virginia (if you deem it Southern) seem possible. They all have a relatively low percent of their people be from other states. I get the sense you want white non-Cajun Southern culture so small-to-medium towns in Kentucky and West Virginia might be the best bet for you. Although "Mountain Southern" culture is different than "Lowland Southern culture" in many ways. (That thing of Southerners being overly polite and not saying stuff to your face? Yeah in my experience we Mountain Southerners aren't like that quite so much. I mean our people will say "Ma'am" and "Sir", but our culture often values being blunt and opinionated. The culture has a more Scotch-Irish ancestry with less pretenses of being aristocratic.) If you want old non-Cajun "Lowlands Southern white" culture I would guess Mississippi and non-coastal South Carolina.

Map: U.S. Migration Flows | Pew Social & Demographic Trends
As usual, good points, Thomas R.

>>>>>
Oklahoma has a fair amount of Rodeo though if you consider it a Southern state.
<<<<<

Hence, the reason I underscored the "western" qualities of Oklahoma along with its Southern touches. For the OP, don't forget about the Cowboy Hall of Fame located in OK City.

Also, Fort Smith is very much culturally akin to the rest of Oklahoma. I have family from the Fort Smith area and it quite similar to the vast majority of Oklahoma culture. There is more of a significant cultural shift once you get deeper into central Arkansas and east of Little Rock and keep moving east....that's where you'll get more classically understood Deep South culture. Just FYI.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:08 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Just to elaborate a bit on what several others have said (including my good friend Bass&Catfish), if you want more of the "cowboy" culture. then Texas and/or Oklahoma is your best bet. It is definitely the South, but with a frontier/western flavor that is not so much found in the southeastern states. The "western South" as it is.

It is sometimes hard to exactly articulate and pinpoint it (either in description or where the boundaries are), but the term (western South) deliniates a sub-region of the larger South. A place where essential Southern culture and history and folkways are heavily flavored with many things thought of as "western."

It is absolutely not to be confused with the true "West" (as in the interior Southwest states of NM and AZ, or the Rocky Mountain states).

The "western South" has very little in common with those states above, either historically or culturally. It is, again, the classic South transplanted into a more "western" physical environment; and it sorta evolved into a unique sub-region of the South itself.

So, in a nutshell, if you want the best of the Old South along with some of the frontier western aspects, you might want to consider somewhere in eastern Texas or SE Oklahoma...or even parts of SW Arkansas or NE Louisiana. You will find some towns and small cities that offer the flavor of the ante-bellum Deep South along with a rodeo not far away!

Old 03-06-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Just to elaborate a bit on what several others have said (including my good friend Bass&Catfish), if you want more of the "cowboy" culture. then Texas and/or Oklahoma is your best bet. It is definitely the South, but with a frontier/western flavor that is not so much found in the southeastern states. The "western South" as it is.

It is sometimes hard to exactly articulate and pinpoint it (either in description or where the boundaries are), but the term (western South) deliniates a sub-region of the larger South. A place where essential Southern culture and history and folkways are heavily flavored with many things thought of as "western."

It is absolutely not to be confused with the true "West" (as in the interior Southwest states of NM and AZ, or the Rocky Mountain states).

The "western South" has very little in common with those states above, either historically or culturally. It is, again, the classic South transplanted into a more "western" physical environment; and it sorta evolved into a unique sub-region of the South itself.

So, in a nutshell, if you want the best of the Old South along with some of the frontier western aspects, you might want to consider somewhere in eastern Texas or SE Oklahoma...or even parts of SW Arkansas or NE Louisiana. You will find some towns and small cities that offer the flavor of the ante-bellum Deep South along with a rodeo not far away!
>>>>>
<<<<<

This is one of the best descriptions I've read describing the overarching culture of Texas/Oklahoma. Excellent thoughts ol' Buddy.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:08 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Breaux Bridge, Donaldsonville, and St. Francisville are all Louisiana towns with great Louisiana culture. No cowboy stuff though, although we do have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.