Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 12:23 AM

49 posts, read 67,343 times

Advertisements

Hello; Guys I AM VERY WONDERING WHAT REGION OF UNITED STATES HAVE THE LARGEST COLONIAL WHITE POPULATION. I ALSO WONDERING WITH THE MOVEMENT OF NORTHERNERS TO THE SOUTHERN STATES ( WE ALWAYS HERE ABOUT BLACKS AMERICAN HAS A SOUTHERNER) WHAT PERCENTAGE OF WHITE PEOPLE IN THE SOUTH ARE SOUTHNERS JUST LIKE BLACKS. ALSO, WHICH SOUTHERN STATE HAS THE LARGEST WHITESOUTHERN ANCENSTRY AND WHICH HAS THE LOWEST. I JUST WANT TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHT.

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 10:30 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,991,578 times
"Colonial" white population?
We have colonials here?

Old 03-18-2011, 02:09 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,057,553 times
i LIKE TALKING IN ALL CAPS TOO BECAUSE IT MAKES ME FEEL SPECIAL YAY

Old 03-18-2011, 03:19 PM

639 posts, read 1,289,368 times
kAPS ARE SOOOO KOOOL AN DA BEST PART IS WEN U TALK IN KAPS PPL R MORE LIKELY TO NOT JUS ASSUME YOU IS DUMB AN SKIP UR POST.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:29 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,917 times
In most rural areas most white people are Southerners. In general though south Florida is largely not considered Southern there are pockets of Southerners remaining in some inland parts.

In general take the states that were in the Confederacy (for our purposes we'll pretend Oklahoma was a state then). Add in Kentucky, West Virginia, the parts of Maryland that aren't Baltimore, Annapolis, or the suburbs of them or DC, and a bit of Southeastern Missouri. Take out Atlanta and its suburbs, Florida outside the panhandle, and the suburbs of Washington DC. Texas is a mishmash of about 5 cultures so parts are in culturally and parts are out. Good luck parsing that puzzle. In addition there's a widespread belief (at least in northern Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio) that the southern parts of these states are culturally Southern.

Florida easily has the least number of Southerners. It was the least populous state in the South until the 1960s, and its growth explosion has largely been fueled by non-Southerners (Yankees and Cubans in particular).

Its hard to say which state has the most. Most of the states with much larger populations can trace significant parts of their population to people moving in from outside the South. I guess depending on how you divide up Texas it might be the most reasonable answer.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:16 PM

165 posts, read 530,399 times
Do I understand your first question correctly, you're asking which region of the USA has the highest percentage of white people of colonial ancestry, in its population?? This would NOT be Texas a whole, because Texas in general has great numbers of both Blacks and Hispanics. But on second thought, this might be true of the northwest ("panhandle" or "plains") part of Texas, however.

I would say, the best answer to your question, is THE APPALACHIAN MOUNTAIN REGION OF THE SOUTHERN STATES. The entire Southern Appalachian region has mostly white people with Colonial-era ancestry (English, Scots/Irish, German). Most Black southerners generally live in either the coastal or the Piedmont areas of the South -- not in the Appalachian mountains. Relatively few immigrants from the 1800s or 1900s settled in the Appalachian South (except in the mining/industrial parts of West Virginia).

In rural areas of the north, midwest, and west USA, on the other hand, while much of the population has Colonial ancestry, many others there are descended instead from German, Irish, Scandinavian, or Canadian immigrants who arrived in the 1800s after the Colonial era. This is also true of Cities.

Last edited by slowlane2; 03-18-2011 at 09:32 PM..

Old 03-18-2011, 11:57 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymage View Post
Is there still a lot of dislike for northerners in the south?
Only the arrogant ones who move here because their home state sucks and proceed to try to change their new home into their old one.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:11 AM

217 posts, read 417,294 times
when I TYPE IN ALL CAPS IT LENDS SOME VALIDITY TO MY WEIRD QUESTIONS. when I TYPE IN ALL CAPS PEOPLE WON'T REALIZE I'M LOOKING FOR A CITY TO START A MILITIA GROUP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.