Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:13 AM

13 posts, read 78,236 times

Advertisements

In terms of:
Cost of Living
Quality of Life
Education
Housing
Weather
Recreation and Entertainment
Also, is the Northeast becoming as racist as the South once WAS?
The Southeast isn't racist anymore (something I'm very proud of), but I've always wondered about the North.

It seems like the Southeast is the place to be now, and everyone seems to be moving there for a "better life". Is the Northeastern U.S. becoming uninhabitable? Or as some people have put it, only people who cannot afford to move will stay there?

Old 04-17-2011, 09:57 AM

639 posts, read 1,289,873 times
Only people who stay up north...

1. Brainwashed idiots who think we all play banjos
2. People who live in Chicago, Boston, Philly, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Milwaukee, or NYC because those are good cities, or Maine cause its nice
3. People who can't leave because there family has trapped them there
4. People who are scared of the unknown
5. People who are making money there an can't leave

Still many people are coming down from those cities and Maine. I'm saying other than being ignorant or being trapped there I can definitely understand why you would want to stay there, because despite the cold and the prices and everything else, there still great places providing your not poor, than your life there sucks, especially in the winter.

If you live in Detroit, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Shoot... Just choose any midwest or northern city that I didn't just post up there and your single, and have no family in the area, or no unique job offer you can only get there, WTF is wrong with you? Are you on the run from the federal government? Are you an illegal immigrant?

Old 04-17-2011, 11:58 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
Basicly if u have enough money almost anywhere can be habitable but with limited money here are a few things financially wise which make the north hard to live in:

car insurance for young male like myself with no points on my license:
200/ month
cost of heat and electric for small apartment in colder months:
300/ month
cost of wear on my car for the potholes I hit to avoid hitting another car/parking ticket since there's no parking/window replacement for breakins:
100+/month

This is the cost in a poor urban town thats convenient to college and work, only reason I have a car is my g/f. Better towns will cost up around 1000 for rent. And I never have fun outdoors half of the year because its that cold. I don't see how the native americans lived here.

Cost of living in a rural south town apartment(my estimate):
car insurance: 50/month
cost of heat: 200/month
cost of maintaining a car: 50/month

so roughly a northern city costs almost twice what it costs to live in the south. The only deal-breaker is if u mind living more rural with less job opportunities. The south is the best region in america now for small businesses though.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:47 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleBryant View Post
Is the Northeastern U.S. becoming uninhabitable? Or as some people have put it, only people who cannot afford to move will stay there?
The only people who move South are the people who don't make enough money to live up North. It all basically comes down to the cost of living. Look at states like New Jersey, Conn, and Mass for example. Those are arguably the best states in the union in terms of QOL, but people leave these states in droves due to cost and taxes, nothing else.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:05 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The only people who move South are the people who don't make enough money to live up North. It all basically comes down to the cost of living. Look at states like New Jersey, Conn, and Mass for example. Those are arguably the best states in the union in terms of QOL, but people leave these states in droves due to cost and taxes, nothing else.
It's more than that though. Weather, sick of all the a-holes, to be with family in the south, owning a nicer property for much less, fewer immigrants, organic women, sweet potato pie, etc.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:19 PM

425 posts, read 653,426 times
What exactly do you mean by the North? The Northern Rockies, the Pacific NW and Alaska are a hundred times more habitable than the fat, sweaty South, IMO.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:21 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
To answer the OP, No. I don't know about the SE not being racist anymore and there are still affordable places in the NE that are affordable. For instance, Syracuse and Greensboro have the same overall COL, roughly. So, it all depends on where you go.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:52 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Only people who stay up north...

1. Brainwashed idiots who think we all play banjos
2. People who live in Chicago, Boston, Philly, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Milwaukee, or NYC because those are good cities, or Maine cause its nice
3. People who can't leave because there family has trapped them there
4. People who are scared of the unknown
5. People who are making money there an can't leave

Still many people are coming down from those cities and Maine. I'm saying other than being ignorant or being trapped there I can definitely understand why you would want to stay there, because despite the cold and the prices and everything else, there still great places providing your not poor, than your life there sucks, especially in the winter.

If you live in Detroit, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Shoot... Just choose any midwest or northern city that I didn't just post up there and your single, and have no family in the area, or no unique job offer you can only get there, WTF is wrong with you? Are you on the run from the federal government? Are you an illegal immigrant?

Or the people that live there desire:

Diverse employment opportunities
Best education in the country
Highest concentration of cultural amentities in the country
Desire for four distinct seasons
Some of the best cities in the world
Desire to work in a more competitive and fast pased environement
Plethora of urban, suburban and rural environments all in a small area

Old 04-17-2011, 02:28 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Hmm...well, the part of the North in which I live, which is actually the Great Lakes region/Upper Midwest has these things to offer:

--COL that is comparable to most places in the Southeast

--four distinct seasons--we get snow on Christmas, April showers in April, May flowers in May, long, bright, sunny days in the summer with sparkling blue lakes and emerald green cornfields that go on for miles, and crisp air, brilliantly blue skies, gorgeous autumn leaves, and pumpkin patches in the autumn.

--Access to year round recreational opportunities--boating, jet skiing, and water skiing in the summer, snowmobiling, snow skiing, and ice fishing in the winter

--An abundant supply of fresh water with no worries whatsoever of droughts caused by overcrowding that are affecting some parts of the country

--Some of the best institutions of higher learning in the country

--Few traffic headaches

--Relatively close proximity to cities that offer everything such as Chicago

--Big Ten football, some of the best in the country

--Friendly, down to earth people who still know what it means to help each other out

--A higher wage scale for most job fields than the Southeast

...yep, you're right, the only people here MUST be here just because we can't afford to move away...

LOL

Old 04-17-2011, 02:51 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Hmm...well, the part of the North in which I live, which is actually the Great Lakes region/Upper Midwest has these things to offer:
You beat me to it! Your list is almost 100% what I was getting ready to post. The only addition I was going to make was that I have lived in the South and the lack of seasons, rude people, and miserable mud holes they call lakes made it so I have a hard time even visiting there anymore.

I can live anywhere in the US I want because both my job and my wifes are ones that are needed anywhere in the Country. I live in the North (Great Lakes region to be specific) because the schools are the best for my kids, the wages are higher than the South while the COL is lower than a lot of places. Real 4 seasons without any one of them overpowering the others. You can get a LOT of house for the money.

If the OP is referring to the Northeast more than the overall "North" they are still wrong in their stereotypical view.

For Observation... I lived in Maine for 20 years, couldn't wait to get out and back to the Midwest. Nice place to visit, but VERY hard to make a living. Sounds like you haven't got a real clue about the "North" and are basing your views on very wrong stereotypes. Maybe get out of your little bubble and visit without your preconceived ideas and prejudices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.