Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 09:34 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times

Advertisements

Richmond Virginia
Southern PA to Richmond VA

When I look for 4 seasons though has to be a wet rainy with little snow winter for 2 months. (December & January) 25 inches or less of snow. With once in a blue moon a 2ft or 3ft snow storm.

The cold rain goes into Spring for 2 months. (Febuary-March) With 20 inches of rain falling in these months.

With a hot muggy summer for 4 to 5 months. (April-August) 10 to 15 inches of rain during the summer.

That leads to 3 months of crisp cool fall weather. (September-November) 5 inches of rain in the fall.

Last edited by RunD1987; 08-04-2016 at 09:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 12:12 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times
Flagstaff, AZ. Mild seasons, but four of them. Snow that comes down hard and melts quickly, decent fall colors, awesome summers, short Springs. All with dry air.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:46 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redelephant1703 View Post
Hi. My wife and I are looking to relocate from Memphis, TN. We are tired of the hot, humid weather and lack of four seasons. Here we have summer and winter. We would like to find a place with four seasons, but where the summers and winters aren't too hot/cold. We want the spring flowers and the beautiful fall foliage. When we picture Halloween for instance, we don't want it to be 65 and humid. We would like it to be crisp and have leaves all around us both in the trees and on the ground. We have been looking in places like Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, but aren't sure about the winters. We are also looking at Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Connecticut, and Massachusetts, with an interest in Colorado as well. Any feedback on the weather in these areas would be appreciated. Thanks!
How much snow do you want and where are you looking at in Maryland? The Baltimore-Washington Area is good for 15" (parts of the low-lying areas) to 25" (foothills). I will have to warn you, though, that summer is the longest season here, with 80° weather lasting for four months (late May to late September).

Spring usually starts in early March and is in the 50s-70s, though sometimes you will see warm and cold extremes during that time.

Fall is less variable and is warmer than spring. You should expect 70s through mid October, 60s through mid November, and 50s though early December. We may not be New England, but we still do have some good fall foliage that peaks in early November. A day trip to Cumberland in the mountains in early October will provide you with some of the best colors in Maryland.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:07 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,222 times
sw va gets my vote! summers aren't too humid and we get winter but it's not crazy like i imagine mn, wisconsin or michigan would be! we came here from georgia, before that missouri and before that ca...i think georgia and missouri had much more humidity than we do here! we are about a half hour out of roanoke.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:59 PM

626 posts, read 381,171 times
I would stay away from the eastern portion of Virginia, such as Richmond.

In Richmond you get four seasons, but it's really just two seasons with a month break between the transitions. Summers are around five months (May-September) and Winter (mid November and ends around April.)

The mountains in VA may work though.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:25 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Memphis has 4 seasons as far as I'm concerned, it's not a frostless palm lined paradise, and they do get snow and some very cold temps in the winter. I guess it's all relative

Old 08-06-2016, 12:07 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Memphis has 4 seasons as far as I'm concerned, it's not a frostless palm lined paradise, and they do get snow and some very cold temps in the winter. I guess it's all relative
LOL, have you ever seen a memphis 'snowman'? You might be able to build one about 8" tall and it might last all of a day, if you are lucky.
A bit misleading to suggest memphis 'gets snow' like it's a regular occurrence, heck mobile and a lot of florida 'get snow' but I wouldn't really consider those to be 4 season areas either. But coming from a desert area, maybe....

Old 08-06-2016, 06:27 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
LOL, have you ever seen a memphis 'snowman'? You might be able to build one about 8" tall and it might last all of a day, if you are lucky.
A bit misleading to suggest memphis 'gets snow' like it's a regular occurrence, heck mobile and a lot of florida 'get snow' but I wouldn't really consider those to be 4 season areas either. But coming from a desert area, maybe....
A place that is too cold for palm trees and sees hard freezes and ANY snow whatsoever is a 4 season climate, albeit a mild one. Where I live would be the COLD end of a "winterless" climate

Old 08-06-2016, 07:20 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
I would stay away from the eastern portion of Virginia, such as Richmond.

In Richmond you get four seasons, but it's really just two seasons with a month break between the transitions. Summers are around five months (May-September) and Winter (mid November and ends around April.)

The mountains in VA may work though.
My kind of Weather

Old 08-06-2016, 03:06 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
The northern lower peninsula of Michigan and the UP have the best four season climate according to what I prefer, (lots of snowfall and mild summer temperatures).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.