Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 08:20 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,399,243 times

Advertisements

I came across this article in the daily news today...apparently the I-35W bridge over the Mississippi River collapsed during rush hour today while in the midst of being repaired. 6 people are dead, 28 injured. How on earth could this have happened? I still can't believe this..

Mayor says 6 killed in bridge collapse - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 08:33 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,657,733 times
Wow.That will make me think next time Im on a bridge.Especially if it was over water,I don't know how to swim.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:05 AM

554 posts, read 2,501,910 times
I can't swim either... I'm just suprised that George Bush stepped on that problem immediately.. it wasn't like that when Hurricane Katrina came around.

Anyway I hope those people are okay. So far only 4 have been killed, and 62 hurt. God bless America.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:15 AM

It doesn't really matter whether you can swim or not, even though I can. A lot of the time once you are caught in a current as strong as the Mississippi's...what usually happens when people fall into a river like that is that eventually they just get exhausted from battling the current and wind up drowning. the river's current has a lot more control over your body than your limbs do.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:19 AM

The Mississippi is a dangerous river,its nice to see through.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
The Mississippi is a dangerous river,its nice to see through.
So are the Missouri and Ohio Rivers...their currents are just as strong if not more strong... I would imagine the Ohio River has the strongest current of the three because of how much wider it is....I believe it is maybe a mile and a half to two miles wide. the Mississippi's current only gets stronger when the Missouri and Ohio flow into them. I'd say the Mississippi is the most dangerous south of the where the Ohio flow into it...it is much bigger than north of the Ohio River, and the added current of the massive Ohio River just makes the Mississippi an incredible force to contend with. if you find yourself stuck in the middle of any one of these rivers halfway between each shoreline, you are in BIG trouble.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:36 AM

Im sure that happens all the time too.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:26 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,564,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
I can't swim either... I'm just suprised that George Bush stepped on that problem immediately.. it wasn't like that when Hurricane Katrina came around.

Anyway I hope those people are okay. So far only 4 have been killed, and 62 hurt. God bless America.
We have the Army Corp. of Engineers coming here too! Hopefully they won't flood Uptown.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:20 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
We have the Army Corp. of Engineers coming here too! Hopefully they won't flood Uptown.
Ah, someone from Minneapolis

Did you ever suspect that happening to the bridge?

I've always wanted to visit.. but I guess I'll have to wait now

Old 08-03-2007, 01:52 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,564,540 times
First, the city at large is fine. If you wanted to visit, we would love to have you. I personally didn't suspect. I live on the West side of the river and usually took side streets to NE Mpls. (The bridge connects Mpls. to Mpls., Randy Kaye shoulda known that, she worked for CBS Here) So I wasn't on it much. I have heard of some negligence that hasn't been reported. A friend of my friend is an engineer and they had apparently been avoiding the bridge for three weeks. I'm sure the NTSB will figure out that a combination of heavy traffic (which usually wasn't there), heat (95*), the train vibrations on the East Bank, and construction led to this. When you look at the pictures, remember that traffic was bumper to bumper. The few cars on the deck pale in contrast to those in the River. Cell phones up here were dead for a couple hours. NEVER GET RID OF YUR LAND LINE. I am amazed by the local response, but this is a national tragedy moreso than Sept. 11. The government can't stop determined terrorists, but they do nothing about our infrastructure. When you really look at it, the bridge, Chinese toys, and Chinese food products are the same story. This nation used to make quality products and was able to be self-sufficient. In a quest for cheap products, quality of EVERYTHING had decreased. Homes are built like crap, cars don't last, bridges fail, food makes us sick, toys have lead. This bridge story has made headline news in every city on earth. Not because of the death toll (tragedies are not measured by such), but because these nations see the American system in peril. These foreigners maintain interest out of concern, irony (build Iraq, tear down the Motherland), and even Schadenfreude. They see a problem beyond the problems recognized domestically. This tragedy is only the first in a series. Infrastructure is one problem, but our communal tastes seem to be another. Sorry to get philosophical, but someone has to say this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.