Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 05:54 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Many large cities do not have subways. One example that comes to mind is Orlando, Florida. Yes Disney has a monorail but the city of Orlando does not.
Orlando is not a large city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 06:02 PM

195 posts, read 250,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
For me, a big city is about much more than population numbers. Big cities are places that have diverse entertainment, cultural, shopping, and commercial options.

In a big city, I can go downtown and choose between a classical concert and a dance club-- a movie or a play. I can see major league sporting events throughout the year, and after the game, choose between a classy bar or a strip-club. I can dine at a different high-quality restaurant each evening of the month.

In a big city, transportation options are numerous. The city is easily walked. Bicycle paths are abundant. Freeways are intelligently constructed. Mass transit allows one to visit the venues and attractions of the city. There is an international airport with non-stop flights to most major US cities and to at least two other continents.

In a big city, I can find neighborhoods that distinguish themselves from the others: places where the streets have small ethnic shops and restaurants, and I can hear different languages being casually spoken.

Big cities serve as regional "magnets", drawing people form the surrounding area with major medical centers, universities, and corporations.

Big cities meet the needs of their inhabitants by understanding that people are all different, and that citizens and visitors have different needs and interests--a truly "big" city has something for each and every one of them.
Redwood City, California for example has a strip club and it only has a population of over 76,000 people.

Strip clubs are not limited to big cities.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:06 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
I think it depends on where the city is located.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:19 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I think it depends on where the city is located.
true, some areas a geographically small but dense city would be big in the east, but in the west a large area with a large population would be big. In the south a small city with a sprawling metro would be big. You can't go by city limits in the south because then all of them would be from Texas. From the top 20 biggest by city, 9 are in the south and Jacksonville, Charlotte and Memphis are the only ones that are in there not from Texas. Miami and ATL are like in the 40's

Old 06-04-2011, 06:27 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,050,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nostalgia Critic View Post
Redwood City, California for example has a strip club and it only has a population of over 76,000 people.

Strip clubs are not limited to big cities.

I think you're missing my point: some of the things I mentioned, including strip clubs, can be found in small cities, or even rural areas. However, my post mentioned numerous criteria for defining a city as "big". Redwood city, obviously, doesn't come close to meeting those criteria.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:40 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
For me, a big city is about much more than population numbers. Big cities are places that have diverse entertainment, cultural, shopping, and commercial options.

In a big city, I can go downtown and choose between a classical concert and a dance club-- a movie or a play. I can see major league sporting events throughout the year, and after the game, choose between a classy bar or a strip-club. I can dine at a different high-quality restaurant each evening of the month.

In a big city, transportation options are numerous. The city is easily walked. Bicycle paths are abundant. Freeways are intelligently constructed. Mass transit allows one to visit the venues and attractions of the city. There is an international airport with non-stop flights to most major US cities and to at least two other continents.

In a big city, I can find neighborhoods that distinguish themselves from the others: places where the streets have small ethnic shops and restaurants, and I can hear different languages being casually spoken.

Big cities serve as regional "magnets", drawing people form the surrounding area with major medical centers, universities, and corporations.

Big cities meet the needs of their inhabitants by understanding that people are all different, and that citizens and visitors have different needs and interests--a truly "big" city has something for each and every one of them.
You can find that in the city I live in, Pueblo Colorado, and the MSA about 160,000 people. For example last night there was some local plays, Friday Art Walk on Union Ave, the annual Sangre De Cristo Art Center Gala, Festival Fridays on 'B' street etc. Later that night most of the bars and clubs in downtown were packed and many had lines to get, much like you would find in cities many times our size. To be honest some people were down from Denver for the Art gala and were surprised as to how busy Pueblo is as they thought that Denver was the only busy city in Colorado on the weekends. The reason is Pueblo might only be 160,000 people but the Pueblo region is over 400,000 people and many of them come to Pueblo for their entertainment and shopping etc.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:41 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
true, some areas a geographically small but dense city would be big in the east, but in the west a large area with a large population would be big. In the south a small city with a sprawling metro would be big. You can't go by city limits in the south because then all of them would be from Texas. From the top 20 biggest by city, 9 are in the south and Jacksonville, Charlotte and Memphis are the only ones that are in there not from Texas. Miami and ATL are like in the 40's
That's exactly what I meant! Are you psychic?

Old 06-04-2011, 06:45 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Orlando is not a large city
Why do you say that??????

Old 06-04-2011, 06:57 PM

195 posts, read 250,446 times
Orlando has all of the big city amenities.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:17 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Why do you say that??????
The idea of the big city is subjective. The idea of a big city to someone from a city of 300,000 will be much different than that of someone from a city of 3,000,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nostalgia Critic View Post
Orlando has all of the big city amenities.
Depends on who you ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.