Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 10:52 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Just because Jacksonville could not handle a Superbowl does not mean anything. If that was your definition then Orlando would be a mega city because they could not only handle the Superbowl but both republican and Democratic national conventions at the same time and have rooms to spare. Maybe I am exaggerating but not by much. Jacksonville has all of the amenities found in large cities and that is what makes it feel like a large city.

I think again this is perspective. I also do not consider Orlando a big city. A better convention city yes, but tourism is the industry of this place; as is with NOLA or a Vegas neither of which to me feel at all like large cities either. I see you point on my SB comments but that was to me one glaring example of how small the city was; it was literally overrun. I just returned from Chicago and conferance of over 50K people and the cty didnt miss a beat and on top of that the city didnt even know it was going on it all blended in. Big cities have a critical mass that exist in few places. Again this is my perspective but there are many cities in the US but very few feel like large actual cities. Jax is most definately not one of them. Its DT is hardly bigger than Wilmington DE which to me is a small city.

I think there is probably only 10 or so BIG cities in the US depending on the criteria. Places like DFW or Houston are very large metros but for the most part dont give the traditional big city feel, but at this point are large enough (especially on metro expanse) even if not in the traditional sense.

To me the cusp places are cities like Seattle, Minneapolis, Denver, Pittsburgh etc. which feel large and medium all at once
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 11:32 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
The largest town I ever lived in as a kid was 2000 people. I see everything 50,000 up as a big city. XD

In all honesty I call 10,000-100,000 micro cities, 100,000-900,000 big cities, 900,000 and up are major cities. More than 5,000,000 people? Megalopolis. o.O;

Old 06-07-2011, 11:38 AM

195 posts, read 250,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I'm going to give him/her a bit of the "benefit of the doubt" and guess he means it's a medium-city not that it's small. S/He also named Nashville and Memphis, but I don't think anyone deems them "small town." (Well someone might, I remember a poster asking us how people live in "Small towns like Virginia Beach.")
How can Jacksonville only be a medium sized city when there are over 821,000 people within it's city limits, making it's population larger than San Francisco.

Jacksonville is also the 11th largest city in the ENTIRE United States, meaining only 10 other cities in this country have a larger population. Jacksonville is by no means just a medium sized city, unless ofcourse your definition of a medium sized city is any city that is not as large as New York City, Sao Paulo, London, or Tokyo.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:39 AM

867 posts, read 2,139,610 times
a big city for me would be in the neighborhood of 250.000 or more

Old 06-07-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nostalgia Critic View Post
How can Jacksonville only be a medium sized city when there are over 821,000 people within it's city limits, making it's population larger than San Francisco.

Jacksonville is also the 11th largest city in the ENTIRE United States, meaining only 10 other cities in this country have a larger population. Jacksonville is by no means just a medium sized city, unless ofcourse your definition of a medium sized city is any city that is not as large as New York City, Sao Paulo, London, or Tokyo.

Oh yes Jax is bigger than SF, Boston, DC etc.

city boundaries are a joke and the population stats are mostly meaningless

I mean really have you been Jax and SF or Boston; they most definately should be discussed in the same context

Old 06-07-2011, 11:46 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Quote:
That still doesn't answer the question of what percentage of Americans live in those 275 cities that all have over 100,000 people.
I finally did the math but I did round to the thousands.

Combined population of the top 275 cities in the United States is: 83,400,000.

Total population in the country is: 308,000,000.

*Both numbers are from 2010.

So about 27% of the population in the United States lives in one of the largest 275 cities that are above 100,000 people. That means if you live in one of those cities you are in the minority. Since I live in Pueblo and its the 246th largest city in the U.S. I am one of the 27% who live in the nations largest cities.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Oh yes Jax is bigger than SF, Boston, DC etc.

city boundaries are a joke and the population stats are mostly meaningless

I mean really have you been Jax and SF or Boston; they most definately should be discussed in the same context
City boundaries are not a joke and population stats are not meaningless. Anything you can find in San Francisco or Boston, you can also find in Jacksonville.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I finally did the math but I did round to the thousands.

Combined population of the top 275 cities in the United States is: 83,400,000.

Total population in the country is: 308,000,000.

*Both numbers are from 2010.

So about 27% of the population in the United States lives in one of the largest 275 cities that are above 100,000 people. That means if you live in one of those cities you are in the minority. Since I live in Pueblo and its the 246th largest city in the U.S. I am one of the 27% who live in the nations largest cities.
Only 27% of Americans live in a city with a population that is above 100,000. I thought the percentage would be a lot higher than that.

So America is a country where most people live in places that are not inhabited by that many people.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:02 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Quote:
Only 27% of Americans live in a city with a population that is above 100,000. I thought the percentage would be a lot higher than that.

So America is a country where most people live in places that are not inhabited by that many people.
Keep in mind that is using the strict definition of cities above 100,000 people. So people living in the MSA of one of the large cities yet lives in a suburb under 100,000 people was not counted.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind that is using the strict definition of cities above 100,000 people. So people living in the MSA of one of the large cities yet lives in a suburb under 100,000 people was not counted.

Interesting stat but is tough to compare places with different boundaries. For example the area in this picture (foreground) is not a place of more than 100K yet is more urban/city like than many places. Municipal boundaries vary so widely accross the US

IMG_4961 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lebanonpamovie/2807461764/ - broken link)

Metros or even moreso Urbanized Areas are probably more meaningful in comparison.

If you took the 11 largest CSAs the population equals ~103 million or one-in-three of the US population
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.