Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2007, 05:20 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times

Advertisements

I'm still waiting for the day you see an AA community that not only has middle class blacks but also AA owned Mc Donalds, True Values, Insurance Offices, Grocery Stores, Dry Cleaners, Dr.s Office, Auto Shops, Drug Store, Dentist, Radio Shack, Auto Dealership, Clothing Stores, Plumbers, Electricians, Bars, Realtors, etc. etc. . In other words a totally self sufficient AA community. I know there appear to be such in Atlanta and some other towns but, when you look into it most of the business in these communities are actually white owned.

Before the non whites reading this get angry and conclude: That's separatism! Can't we all be color blind and just get alone!? My reply is the black population in America is in desparate need of this type of business ownership. AA's are only 1/16 as likely to own business' as whites and when they do they tend to be smaller income type business' (this is because AA's tend to only concentrate on traditional small mom and pop type business' of a very small variety.)

If this were to happen AA income in that community (and even more important net wealth) would dramatically rise and very possibly the higher negative statistics ( higher poverty rates, prison rates, unemployment rates) that plague AA's as a whole would drastically decline. (In that community at least). Such a community would be a model for other AA communities to try to emulate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 07:49 PM

359 posts, read 1,312,425 times
Default Asses are everywhere.

He's just being an ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marya View Post
I'd say that this isn't always the case, especially if you go to many of the little towns in the South.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:03 PM

Angry What You Don't Get It!

And you want us to move on?!? Why couldn't you just put the money in her hand instead of throwing it at her like a dog! Who does that crap anymore...tossing the money on the counter like "fetch it"? It's funny even the guy in the line BEHIND YOU got it but you BIG DUMMY DIDN'T GET IT AT ALL! She should have been pissed and if I were in the line I would told you the exact same thing. This is why we can't progress cause dummies like you don't really WANT to get it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBlue View Post
I found this post by someone on another thread. I thought it was relevant to this topic. Enjoy.

"I live in S.W. MS and yesterday was entertaining a couple who was visiting from another state. We patronized a convenience store, where upon purchasing a beverage, I tossed a $5 bill onto the counter. The cashier, who was African American looked at me in disgust. When I asked her if there was a problem, a African American male in line with me said, "she is pissed off with you 'cause you didn't put the money in her hand". GOOD GRIEF!!!! Have we become so sensitive????? It's not like I took it and threw it at her. I am colorblind when it comes to people, and will give my shirt off my back to someone who needs it.... YES, reverse discrimination is alive and well in Mississippi.... I also encounter this quite frequently at our local discount stores and fast food restaurants........ Can people just try to get a long, and not show partiallity to their own race? Thanks for allowing me to vent...Time for me to move as well, but this kind of "crap" goes on everywhere, just seems more so here..........."

Last edited by ArthursChoice; 06-16-2008 at 08:12 PM..

Old 06-16-2008, 08:10 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Flossmoor, IL (suburban Chicago).

Old 06-16-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Flossmoor, IL (suburban Chicago).
lol...Thanks for that simple answer bringing us back to the OG question?

Old 06-17-2008, 12:50 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,333 times
The Ladera Heights, Baldwin Hills, View Park(All adjacent to one and another) area where I grew up is considered the richest black area in the USA and quite possibly the world. The median income for these areas in 2000 were over 100,000k per household. It is a upper-class enclave in West LA that is home to the established Black Professional that came into prominence in the 50's and 60's. Doctors, Lawyers, Dentists, Realtors, Athletes and Black owned restaurant and establishments thrive in this area.

Magic Johnson has a 24 Hour Fitness, Starbucks and Fridays in the area. Most homes in the area start out at $1 million and your in the heart of West LA close to the airport with sweeping views on the Pacific Coast. It was a joy growing up in the area and being around strong role models and other kids who wanted success and who had examples at home who were already successful. These areas are populated by ESTABLISHED Black families that have made it. If you can afford to move there it's truly a great area to live in.

Ladera Heights, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

View Park-Windsor Hills, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-17-2008, 01:53 PM

9 posts, read 35,373 times
Also include with Flossmoor, the village of Olympia Fields, Il. I lived there for most of my childhood during the 80's. Homewood, Flossmoor, and Olympia Fields were the places to be if you were Black professionals at that time. Also, I remember Matteson having a large Black middle class population, to the point where the median income for Blacks was higher than that of the Whites living in the town. I have sinced moved from the area so can't tell you the current state of the towns, but I reckon they haven't changed much because they were quite old/established areas, with historic homes with winding tree-lined streets; And there had to be about 10 country clubs within the area. I did see you mention something about the blue vein society, and I will say that the majority of the Black professionals that settled in the area in the 60's, 70's, and 80's were the children and grandchildren of the old Black elite in Chicago. So of course you will be amidst the whole south surburban chapter of The Links and the south suburban chapter of Jack and Jill of America.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:18 PM

938 posts, read 4,093,697 times
Dont buy this bs people.

Ladera Heights, Baldwin Vista, Carlton Square and Windsor Hills are good, safe black communities-thats just in LA!

Old 06-18-2008, 11:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBlue View Post
After researching, it seems you are very correct. However, I think it has to do more with culture than race. There are elements in the AA culture that are acceptable that may not be acceptable in other race cultures. It's not the color of the skin... its the thought process, the home life, the rearing of the children, what the money is spent on, etc. Its not that its wrong... its just different.
folks in hunters point (black or white) dont call it different at 300 am
they call it dangerous.

pdclipart.com
free clipart

Old 06-19-2008, 08:53 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Default In my area......

Syracuse, NY, many of the middle and upper middle class Blacks live on the city's East side close to Syracuse University, all the way into the eastern suburb of DeWitt. Actually, the high school for the East side of Syracuse is 55% Black and you can still get a good education there. Other Blacks are spread throughout the nice neighborhoods in the city and even now in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.