Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 08:34 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times

Advertisements

File:CityCenter Tram - 2010-03-06.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Las Vegas CityCenter project along with the tram there. They also need to upgrade the monorail on the Strip it can make it a lot easier for tourists.

Baltimore is planning on building a new 14 mile light rail line. As a local resident I do not really support that, first off because of the taxes that are spent on it (and tax hikes), and also sometmes I think its good that some people in the city not have easy access to the suburbs and many suburbanites here prefer it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 08:38 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
I don't see anything wrong with the National Mall as it is today. It has its classical and historic value. I don't think they should try to "modern" it any, especailly given the surrounding architecture.

With the new downtown in Las Vegas looks like they are really trying to be a typical "urban" city besides its suburban atmosphere. Right now the city is dominated by the tourist districts and most local residents don't really venture downtown much. Well as long as Glitter Gulch and the Strip stay as is. I actually don't like the changes on the Strip, trying to be generic luxury I do miss the old times when all the hotels were heavier on the themes. And the Fremont Street Experience is okay but I miss the old Fremont Street with the neon light now it just feels cluttered.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:35 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
Update on the New International Trade Crossing. The last part of the process is for it to be approved by the US State department before construction can start.

In the mean time, Canada is well underway on extending the 401 highway to connect with the future location of the bridge.

PHOTOS: Aerial shots of Windsor's parkway and surrounding area

Old 08-25-2012, 03:32 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,302 times
New StratCom Headquarters in the Metro-Omaha city of Bellevue at Offut Air Force Base got it's first round of funding recently.

KiewitPhelps gets contract for new StratCom HQ - Omaha.com

Quote:
Completion of the project, estimated at $524.4 million, not counting hundreds of millions of dollars of technology, is expected Sept. 11, 2016.
Quote:
The new 915,876-square-foot facility will replace the 55-year-old structure that houses the command responsible for the nation's nuclear arsenal, global strike and deterrence, military satellites, information warfare, missile defense, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance and combating weapons of mass destruction.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:45 PM

19 posts, read 34,885 times
actually its funny...if you want a nice list of recent infastructure projects completed within the United States, many important projects have utilized a contracter by the name of Hensel Phelps which is the same contractor being used for the StratCom project mentioned in the post above...if you google the name, go to their website, and click on project experience link at the top you can actually browse different categories under which they have undertaken projects all fron land border crossings to airports to mission critical military complexes etc

Old 08-26-2012, 07:25 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,167,323 times
Austin, TX

The new 408ft. JW Marriott Convention Center broke ground last week. It will be the largest hotel in Austin with 1,012 rooms.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:54 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Back to infrastructure, as opposed to skyscrapers, hotels, etc.

Total reconstruction and widening is ongoing on the Pennsylvania Turnpike (America's first superhighway) in the Pittsburgh area, with a new pair of bridges over the Allegheny River being completed two years ago, and work completed from MM 67 to MM 75 last year. Here are a couple of "before and after" photos of the work done between MM 67 and MM 75...

MM 70.4 before

MM 70.4 after

MM 74.3 before

MM 74.3 after

Total reconstruction from MM 31 to MM 38 should wrap up by the end of this year, with the Turnpike being widened from four lanes on an 82' right-of-way to six lanes on a 122' right-of-way. Preperatory work has also begun this year on the total reconstruction from MM 40 to MM 48. Most of the overpasses along this segment of the Turnpike will be torn down and reconstructed next year, with the remainder done in later years. Due to the number of overpasses, this project is not expected to finish until 2017. By the time this segment is finished, the Turnpike will be a six-lane highway on a 122' right-of-way from Cranberry (MM 28) to Harmar (MM 48).

The big recent news is that bidding has taken place for engineering firms to do preliminary and final design work on the Turnpike from MM 49 to MM 53, and from MM 53 to MM 57. The former will involve the replacement of two long bridges over the Bessemer & Lake Erie Railroad and a local creek. The latter will involve the reconfiguration of the interchange with I-376, and the replacement of the Northern Pike overpass. Both segments will be widened from four lanes on an 82' right-of-way to six lanes on a 122' right-of-way like the others across Pittsburgh's northern suburbs. The design and engineering process will likely take a few years, though, so reconstruction of either segment is not likely to begin until after 2015. When they're finished, however, the only segment between Cranberry (MM 28) and New Stanton (MM 75) left to be reconstructed and widened will be between Monroeville (MM 57) and Irwin (MM 67).

Farther east, preparatory work has begun for the total reconstruction of the Turnpike from MM 99 to MM 109. The heavy-duty work begins next year. This is the last remaining segment of the Turnpike left to be reconstructed between New Stanton (MM 75) and the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel (MM 124). By 2020 or so, all 96 miles of Turnpike between Cranberry (MM 28) and the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel (MM 124) will be a modern, six-lane highway on a 122' right-of-way as seen in the two "after" photos above, with the last segment to be completed between Monroeville (MM 57) and Irwin (MM 67).

Old 08-27-2012, 08:28 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Austin, TX

The new 408ft. JW Marriott Convention Center broke ground last week. It will be the largest hotel in Austin with 1,012 rooms.
Is that really an "important infrastructure project" though? If you ask me, a hotel is not "infrastructure" in the sense the word is being used in this thread, or how I'd use it in a sentence. Infrastructure is more like roads, rails, canals, tunnels, bridges, energy centers, etc.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Back to infrastructure, as opposed to skyscrapers, hotels, etc.

Total reconstruction and widening is ongoing on the Pennsylvania Turnpike (America's first superhighway) in the Pittsburgh area, with a new pair of bridges over the Allegheny River being completed two years ago, and work completed from MM 67 to MM 75 last year. Here are a couple of "before and after" photos of the work done between MM 67 and MM 75...
Based on some of those before and after pics it doesn't look like the road needed widening at all! I'm sure there was a reason for widening it though....I've noticed a lot more 3-lane interstates here in the East compared to my homeland: the Upper Midwest. Between Minneapolis and Chicago there is only maybe 70 miles of interstate that does NOT need to be widened to accomodate daily congestion on I-94/90. It's rarely slow without an accident or weekend cabin traffic (when the interstate CRAWLS), but it's completely maxed out its capacity almost any day I've driven on the stretch between Minneapolis and Eau Claire, and especially Tomah to Madison and beyond! At least widen it from Rockford to Tomah....it is SUCH a busy stretch of freeway! I've seen far less busy interstates with more infrastructure!

Rant over.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeburgSavage View Post
New Orleans is building 2 billion dollar medical complex downtown
VA 800 million
University Medical Center 1.2billion +
Wow! Is this an expansion/renovation of an existing complex or the relocation of a new complex/medical clinic? I ask because I'm wondering if other cities should expect something similar if/when they need to revamp their mega-county hospitals/clinics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.