Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 06:41 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Illinois also has Lake Michigan (and a larger and more scenic chunk of it than Indiana except for the dunes), a section of the Driftless region (more scenic than anything in Indiana), the Illinois river valley, part of the Great River Road and the bluffs of the Mississippi, which makes the entire western border of the state, and the Shawnee national forest.
The Hoosier National Forest in southern Indiana is actually quite nice. That part of Indiana was beyond the reach of the glaciers and is pretty hilly, kind of like the Driftless. Brown County State Park is pretty impressive. I happen to have a few pics I took down there:

Last edited by michigan83; 11-07-2014 at 06:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 06:49 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
Quote:
Illinois also has Lake Michigan (and a larger and more scenic chunk of it than Indiana except for the dunes), a section of the Driftless region (more scenic than anything in Indiana), the Illinois river valley, part of the Great River Road and the bluffs of the Mississippi, which makes the entire western border of the state, and the Shawnee national forest.
I disagree with a "more scenic chunk" of Lake Michigan. Indiana has a more sunset view of it, which, ironically thanks to Chicago's skyline looks way better. Michigan's view is the best but IN is second. Illinois' is so BLEH. Not to mention that MOST of Indiana's Lake shore is made of of the dunes. So, with that being said, IN wins.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:55 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I disagree with a "more scenic chunk" of Lake Michigan. Indiana has a more sunset view of it, which, ironically thanks to Chicago's skyline looks way better. Michigan's view is the best but IN is second. Illinois' is so BLEH. Not to mention that MOST of Indiana's Lake shore is made of of the dunes. So, with that being said, IN wins.
It's fine, we can agree to disagree. There's no actual quantifiable measure here, so you can't objectively say "IN wins," because it's just personal preference. But this notion that Indiana is some bucolic paradise and that somehow Illinois is flat and featureless by comparison is just bunk.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:52 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Quote:
Oooh, this is a toughie. The dunes and beach themselves are beautiful in NW Indiana, but when you are on the dunes you actually have a clear view of.... the industry/smoke stacks in Gary, IN. That is not great. I don't think we can declare a clear winner on this one.

This photo blog documents the weird scenery at Indiana Dunes really well:

Indiana Dunes & Chicago: Photos & Trip Report

Old 11-07-2014, 10:52 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Illinois is WAY more flat and boring that Indiana is. At least Indiana has the Uplands. What the hell does IL have? Also, the Northwest corner has a lot of roads that wind around forested areas near Lake Michigan.
And SE Indiana is very hilly.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:26 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
And SE Indiana is very hilly.
Not as hilly as IL's chunk of the Driftless, though.

IL & IN are about a push, I think. Both have a small piece of Lake Michigan; both have some nice river valleys; IN in the south has some hills, and in a greater area than IL's Driftless; IL also has this on the southern tip:

As well as cypress swamps:

I'll still say "push." And both are, outside these small regions, up there with the most boring states (overall) in terms of scenery in the country.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:11 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I think most states are pretty boring to drive across when you're on the interstate. Most states have at least some redeeming features; quaint small towns, beaches, mountains, etc., but when you're on the interstate you don't often see much of anything, particularly the quaint towns, so it's extremely boring.

One state that kills me to drive through, even though I personally like the state a lot, is Georgia from top to bottom on I-75. The only thing that breaks up the monotony is Atlanta, and that is often a nightmare to drive through because of the traffic. But this is what I mean. Georgia has a lot of lovely scenery, beaches, mountains, small towns full of character, but when you drive the whole state on the interstate it is BORING!
Exactly! Interstates aren't supposed to be the part of the state you're supposed to particularly enjoy Everything fun and nice is off the highways.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
It's fine, we can agree to disagree. There's no actual quantifiable measure here, so you can't objectively say "IN wins," because it's just personal preference. But this notion that Indiana is some bucolic paradise and that somehow Illinois is flat and featureless by comparison is just bunk.
Well, Illinois IS the 2nd flattest state. Indiana isn't even in the top 5 for flatness. I was just dispelling the myth that Indiana is in the same flatness and boring category as Illinois, and whoever thinks Indiana is just flat hasn't seen much of the state.

I don't think IN is some paradise, I personally won't even move there, I just think that putting it in the same place as Illinois means that people haven't much of Indiana.

I know IL isn't featureless but neither is Indiana. I know the states are in the same geographical region but I don't think they look the same.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Oooh, this is a toughie. The dunes and beach themselves are beautiful in NW Indiana, but when you are on the dunes you actually have a clear view of.... the industry/smoke stacks in Gary, IN. That is not great. I don't think we can declare a clear winner on this one.

This photo blog documents the weird scenery at Indiana Dunes really well:

Indiana Dunes & Chicago: Photos & Trip Report
Yes Indiana's Lakeshore has the factories. Doesn't change the fact that their Lake Michigan has a nice view of OUR skyline. It's funny because their side of Lake Michigan looks better because of US, and our side of Lake Michigan looks worse because of THEM. If you're on the Lake and live in a high rise, you look Southeast and you see the heavy industry. But if you're on the dunes, you look Northwest and you see our skyline. So Indiana's view looks better in the same way that the Brazilian favelas have the nicest views. So I am crediting Chicago for Indiana having a better Lakefront.

Also, their beaches are nicer because of the dunes.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:53 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Well, Illinois IS the 2nd flattest state. Indiana isn't even in the top 5 for flatness. I was just dispelling the myth that Indiana is in the same flatness and boring category as Illinois, and whoever thinks Indiana is just flat hasn't seen much of the state.

I don't think IN is some paradise, I personally won't even move there, I just think that putting it in the same place as Illinois means that people haven't much of Indiana.

I know IL isn't featureless but neither is Indiana. I know the states are in the same geographical region but I don't think they look the same.
Most studies show FL and LA as the flattest states, but in the end flatness doesn't really matter. For example, MN is considered flatter than IN (I think it's fifth flattest or something), but it's far prettier and more picturesque than IN. At the end of the day, IN and IL are basically evenly matched when it comes to access to Lake Michigan, river valleys, hilly regions in their southern parts with national forests in them, virtually identical highest points etc. Each has something that the other doesn't have like the Driftless, dunes, cypress swamps, etc. In my opinion, they look pretty much the same for the lion's share of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.