Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 06:52 AM

338 posts, read 1,446,923 times

Advertisements

I was coming home from taking my kids to school, I heard about it on the car radio and came back home to turn the TV on b/c I though someone was playing a joke. My neice called and asked where I was, she was waiting for me to pick her up so we could go shopping, I asked her to turn on her TV-she saw the first plane hit and said "OMG! I think that pilot was drunk or something?" I said "No, I believe we are going to war!" then I was physically sick. I called my husband and he said he heard it on his truck radio. When I went to get the kids at school later that day they both came out (4th and 6th graders) and said "Mom, did the President get shot or something?" I said "No why?" they said "Because all of the teachers are upset and telling us to go home and ask our parents what happened" I took them home and turned the TV on, sat there and answered questions as much as I could. I remember waking up the next day (quiet skies all night) and thinking "What a nightmare! Please let this be a nightmare" I turned on the TV and was sick all over again.
5 years have passed- our 19 year old neighbor leaves with the Marines for Bagdad today-keep him and all of our and our allies soldiers in your prayers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2006, 11:56 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,995,037 times
I was in bed fast asleep when my phone rang on the nightstand and it was my mother calling from California. I answered in a fog and she just said;"Turn on your tv, it's awful". I was wide awake in 1 sec. hearing the tone of her voice and the brief message. I got chills up and down wondering what I was going to see when I turned on the tv. I hung up, turned on the tv just in time to see the second plane plow into the second tower about ten minutes later. Then I remember the eerie silence of Las Vegas in the days afterward when no planes could fly. It was weird. I felt then that the America I had grown up in had irrevokably changed... and I was angry as hell. I still am. I have to admit with all the subsequent terror incidents around the world and the apparent acceptance of violence by Muslims in general, I have come to view them as the enemy.

Last edited by MoMark; 09-04-2006 at 12:04 PM..

Old 09-04-2006, 12:01 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,841,172 times
I was at the house getting things together to bring home our first child. Watching the news when the 2nd plane hit the towers. I thought at first I was on HBO and watching a twisted movie.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:19 PM

273 posts, read 1,650,695 times
I was on my way to buy a horse. I kept thinking I should turn around and go home because it seemed inappropriate to be doing such a trivial thing but then I decided I wasn't going to allow those d*mn terrorists change the way I was living that day.

Old 09-04-2006, 02:41 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,715,630 times
I was just getting out of bed and making some breakfast when I saw the first plane hit the tower. I was shocked, I thought the pilot was drunk or the plane was damaged at first. I called my mum in Iowa and asked her if she saw the same thing I did. I then hung up and a few minutes later I saw the second plane hit and I automatically went to my drawer, pulled out my gun, and loaded it. The safety was on but I knew that this day was going to be like none other and I wanted protection. I actually though that this may be the start of the end of days.

I first went to the bank and withdrew some money. Then I had my first morning classes but I called in "sick" (and trust me....I was sick of what was happening). I called my parents and talked to them for about 20 minutes before my cell phone battery was too low to use. After that I just sat in front of the tv for most of the day.

Old 09-04-2006, 02:57 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,475,584 times
Default Great Topic

HEathersmom, this is a fantastic topic and I love reading the responses.

My husband and I both worth late afternoon and evening. I had come home from work around midnight and tried to sleep. I had an awful cold. About three or four in the morning, the phone rang and my husband had to leave since someone had broken into the courthouse. He was gone for a few hours. He came back home a few minutes after our grandson was dropped off at our house because he would hang out with us in the morning. Husband immediately turned tv on because he'd heard just a bit on the car radio. Husband, 8 month old grandson, and I were glued to the tv until we had to leave for work and grandson went to the babysitter. Normally, we watched cartoons in the morning, but grandson could sense something wasn't right and just sat on our laps and cuddled and didn't even care that he had to miss cartoons. We also called my brother to see how his daughter was doing. She lives in NY and was supposed to be in that area, but the planes hit about two hours before she was supposed to be there.

As they started having stories of people who lost loved ones, I couldn't watch tv. It was just too sad. The political stories were interesting and we watched those. I haven't gone to the new movie that's out and I still can't watch any stories of the families who were left behind.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:38 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,258,340 times
I was sitting at my desk at work. I was the only one in the "cube farm" who had a radio. The d.j. was trying not to give any mis-information, but you could tell he was upset. We had a tv in the office that was used for training videos. We used binder clips to boost the antenna enough to get a fuzzy picture. It was errie the way the phones did not ring in the office that morning.

When I went home at lunch my husband was up on the roof making a repair. He did not know that anything had happened. I had to bring him in and turn on CNN because he did not believe what I was telling him.

I have relatives who work in the Pentagon. It was 4 days before I was able to get through to them to find out if they were alright (thankfully they were), due to the high volume of calls being made into that area.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:55 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,179,731 times
I had just moved to Michigan and was on the phone, talking to a dog trainer about classes. He abruptly broke off the conversation, telling me had to go because a plane had crashed into a building in NYC.
I was thinking, a little private plane or something - turned on the TV and saw the second plane hit. I just sat there and cried, it was so unbelievable.
I am getting goosebumps just thinking of that awful day, again.

Old 09-04-2006, 05:24 PM

338 posts, read 1,446,923 times
Default the title of the question...

I got the title from the Alan Jackson song-"Where were you when the world stop turning on that September day?" I get chills when ever I hear that song b/c it seems to me that all the things he said were things I did...dust off the bible, just sit down and cry, turn on some I Love Lucy re-runs...weep for the children that lost their love ones or cry for the ones left below...we went to Ground Zero in November 2005. My kids had to get my husband for me and he walked me out of that area: Down below, where the sub way still runs, the people just go so fast- thousands of them- on their way home for the weekend-when along the right wall are pictures that kids drew...they say "Dear God, is my Daddy with you?" or "I miss you Mommy", there are child drawn pictures-horrible pictures of black smoke and fire trucks, planes and fires-all drawn by little kids- I couldn't see where I was walking for the tears in my eyes--it was surreal ( I'm making myself cry again...gotta go)

Old 09-04-2006, 08:12 PM

22,940 posts, read 28,331,838 times
I was in Canada, scheduled to return to the U.S. that day. Needless to say, it didn't happen. We were able to get back the next day, but the usual border crossing of 10-15 minutes took almost 5 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.