Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 07:38 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zxtwinturbo View Post
yea all rural areas of every state tend to be about the same, devoutly christian, republican, lacking in diversity, not quite as much higher education, people tend to be a little more close minded ect ect. I live in a rural area and it sucks so I kinda have some close experience with country people. "not that those a bad things, just often true" Definately not judging anyone. Some people love it, but its not for me.
I think a big part of it is in the South, this rural culture also dominates small and midsized cities as well. To escape it you pretty much have to be in Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Austin, San Antonio, Raleigh, Charlotte, or Louisville. I didn't include Miami or other Florida cities because Florida is quite different than the rest of the South. Outside of those places, rural Southern culture is predominant even if the area isn't so rural. The northeast and Midwest on the other hand has some of that culture in their rural areas but when you get in the more populated places it usually isn't there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 10:33 AM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I've noticed a pattern on CD where some members equate rural areas as southern. This takes a couple of forms. For example, there was a thread a few months ago where people claimed cities such as Houston and Atlanta are "rural." Conversely, I've also noticed some posters labeling rural areas in the north as "southern." A poster recently claimed a small town in Pennsylvania was southern because (I'm not making this up) he did not see a lot of men in suits or wealthy homes. I can only imagine how folks with that mindset will short-circuit when they encounter images such as this in their travels across New England:

All sizes | Vermont Redneck | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/2779668...n/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | DSC_5407 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebsid...n/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | Tobacco workers in Connecticut | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/junie_m...n/photostream/ - broken link)

Although I doubt anyone one will admit it, I personally believe some folks have trouble acknowledging that there are parts of the south that have a high degree of sophistication, while at the same time, can deny that there are some pretty backwards areas in their own neck of the woods. To try to make sense of this, they revert to the worst kind of stereotyping to make the world fit their pre-conceived ideas. I chalk it up to intellectual laziness, but perhaps that's just me.

What about you: Does rural = southern?
Someone just posted this week that the backwoods of northeastern CT = Deliverance due to confederate flags. I can't even answer that.

Rural is rural and southern is southern. Rural can be found anywhere. But to me it's not Deliverance, in many cases it's heaven.

It also amazes me that people equate unschooled with stupid. I've known many "uneducated" people who are incredibly intelligent especially in the common sense area - something sorely lacking these days.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:16 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,399,014 times
Upstate New York is backwoods. Its not Southern but its Redneck.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:10 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think a big part of it is in the South, this rural culture also dominates small and midsized cities as well. To escape it you pretty much have to be in Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Austin, San Antonio, Raleigh, Charlotte, or Louisville. I didn't include Miami or other Florida cities because Florida is quite different than the rest of the South. Outside of those places, rural Southern culture is predominant even if the area isn't so rural. The northeast and Midwest on the other hand has some of that culture in their rural areas but when you get in the more populated places it usually isn't there.
I don't think Florida is any different than Texas on this topic.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:45 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think a big part of it is in the South, this rural culture also dominates small and midsized cities as well. To escape it you pretty much have to be in Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Austin, San Antonio, Raleigh, Charlotte, or Louisville. I didn't include Miami or other Florida cities because Florida is quite different than the rest of the South.
You can say that about Texas, but you included it. And you're missing some cities: Richmond, Hampton Roads, NOVA (which is in Virginia, a Southern state), New Orleans, Nashville, Memphis, etc.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:34 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Northern Florida is very Southern. Jax is nothing like Miami.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:11 AM

650 posts, read 867,729 times
No. To me, rural just means very tiny town not close to anything. Many places outside of the south meet this especially in the mid west and northeast such as Maine.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:26 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Texas, outside of it's major cities, is God's country. Ultra conservative, and religious (mostly Baptists) and very redneck. Florida, save for the panhandle, is not like that. Maybe the panhandle isn't like that either, I have never been there long enough to tell.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:07 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Old 12-05-2015, 06:19 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Texas, outside of it's major cities, is God's country. Ultra conservative, and religious (mostly Baptists) and very redneck. Florida, save for the panhandle, is not like that. Maybe the panhandle isn't like that either, I have never been there long enough to tell.
Northern Florida is like Alabama and its overall Florida is the deep South. Florida usually as a state votes Red. Even many Latinos PR and Cubans vote GOP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.