Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:34 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
I move a lot for my job, which requires me to work in one or two counties for about a year, and then move on to other counties. I've lived in Hunterdon, Bucks, Sussex, Warren, and Morris. Also, Pike and Northampton on the PA side. Sorry, I didn't realize you didn't mean NYC metro.

New Hope definitely has some NYC influence.

Actually all very pretty areas/counties
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 11:16 PM

27,568 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
In just thinking a bit more i often wonder why Toronto and Montreal are not more top of mind in the NE, seems there may be more of that feeling in the Midwest, especially for Toronto
Toronto and Montreal are on the radar here in D.C. Again, it's the transplant and travel factors. I also know quite a few people who went to universities in those cities.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:22 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Toronto and Montreal are on the radar here in D.C. Again, it's the transplant and travel factors. I also know quite a few people who went to universities in those cities.

Radar yes, but to me not the same as many others, maybe the different country but they are all pretty close to the NE cities

Would you find Toronto or Montreal more on the radar than a Philly or Boston, not my recollection, but I have not lived in DC in many years now

Old 08-24-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Radar yes, but to me not the same as many others, maybe the different country but they are all pretty close to the NE cities

Would you find Toronto or Montreal more on the radar than a Philly or Boston, not my recollection, but I have not lived in DC in many years now
Philadelphia is obviously more on the radar because it's only a 2 hour drive away from D.C. However, I would say Toronto is more on the radar than Boston.

Most people I know have visited Niagara Falls at some time or other. And that usually means they wouldn't miss going atop the CN Tower in Toronto either.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:44 PM

152 posts, read 392,421 times
Denver: Seattle, Phoenix, and Dallas!

Old 08-24-2011, 11:46 PM

I was about to say that Dallas is one major city you don't hear that much about in D.C. But then I realized that the Dallas Cowboys are pretty popular in the D.C. area. lol.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:56 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times
Milwaukeee, NYC, and ???

Old 08-25-2011, 12:12 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
Very interesting question...

I think there is a very obvious #1 city talked about here...but the other two would defitely be up for debate.

Atlanta is definitely #1. It's the closest larger metro, and closest place that offers more ammenities than here. It's 4 hours away, but still close enough for day trips or an easy weekend visit.

After that, it's really tough to say. Other Tennessee cities get a fair amount of mention, such as Memphis and Knoxville...a lot of people have family there, kids in college there, or are fans of sports teams there.

Major national cities like New York and Washington come up in financial or political conversations. Chicago (closest of the mega cities) and LA get some mention as well. Dallas, St. Louis, and Miami are probably in the mix as well (as more regional major cities).

Old 08-25-2011, 06:25 AM

23,465 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I've only been here for a little less than a year, but I hear Chattanooga, Savannah and Charlotte mentioned in Atlanta. Greenville, SC, DC, Miami and Nashville are also on that short list.
Savannah, Chattanooga and Asheville are all popular weekend destinations in Atlanta.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:39 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,988,118 times
Detroit;
#1 Chicago. No contest. It is the closest city that is larger than Detroit. Sports rivalry. Have known people who go to Chicago just to do their holiday shopping.
#2 Probably Toronto. Vacations. About the same distance as Chicago and same size as Detroit.
#3 Can't really think of third city. Perhaps Cleveland but it would be a really distant 3rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.