Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 03:28 AM

291 posts, read 688,666 times

Advertisements

What 3 cities are the most disliked cities in your city? For me this is a much harder one to figure out than the one regarding "Which 3 cities are the most popular in your city".

Here in Seattle I would say that the 3 most dislike cities are Los Angeles, New York, and Dallas. Dallas is an obvious one. Most of the state of Texas is not popular in Seattle with the exception of Austin. Miami is another place that most Seattle people don't like because of the humidity and the fact that Miami is just so different than Seattle.

Some people might be surprised with the Los Angeles and New York picks. Many people in Seattle do like New York but many seem to dislike it too. LA is the same way. There are many people in Seattle who like Los Angeles but many dislike it as well.

Most Seattle people choose San Diego and San Franciso over Los Angeles and they choose Chicago and Boston over New York. I can tell you that the Los Angeles Lakers are the most hated basketball team in Seattle because they used to always beat the Sonics just like the New York Yankees are the most hated baseball team in Seattle because the Yankees used to always beat the Mariners in the playoffs with the exception of 1995. So for sports fans here that has not helped the cities of Los Angeles and New York gain any love in this town. Plus, there are lots of Red Sox and Celtics fans in Seattle I have noticed.

New York and Los Angeles are also the two biggest cities in America and many Seattle people like to argue that NYC and LA are way too big and that Seattle is just about the right size. I would also say that many people are jealous of Los Angeles and New York. Especially New York. However, most people won't admit being jealous of another city.

Most Seattle people that I have talked to talk about Seattle being so great and the rest of the country not being as good. I guess this is common though because most people want to believe that where they live is the best.

I do like Seattle and think that it's a great city. However, unlike most Seattle people, I won't say that Seattle is the best city in the country. I always argue that New York City is the one place in the country that is better which has caused many Seattle people to get really mad at me with steem coming out of their ears which makes me think that they might be a little jeolous of New York.

If I had lots of money I would own homes in New York and Los Angeles and not own a home in Seattle. I would have a New York Penthouse in Manhattan with a sweeping view of Central Park and a Los Angeles home right on the ocean in Malibu. So I wouldn't bother purchasing a home in Seattle but I would visit Seattle because I have lots of friends and family here and because it's my hometown. So I would just gram a suite at the Four Seasons Hotel or W Hotel whenever I came here. If I were to ever bother purchasing a home in Seattle as a wealthy person it would probably just be a simple high-rise crash-pad at Escala here in Downtown Seattle which is similar to what I already own in this town.

So the ramble in the last paragraph above shows how money can change things. Lots of people in Seattle and around the country love to bash Los Angeles and New York yet if they could afford a sweet pad in Manhattan or a sweet pad in Malibu or Beverly Hills, they would take it in a New York minute.

So what would you say are the 3 most disliked cities in your city?

Old 08-25-2011, 03:32 AM

9 posts, read 16,902 times
Three cities in our city ???
I think there is mistake in title it should be country at the end

Old 08-25-2011, 03:43 AM

I forgot to mention a few things above. I would say that lots of Seattle people probably dislike Los Angeles because the weather is often perfect in Los Angeles while the weather in Seattle is often cloudy and gloomy. They do seem to love San Diego but they seem to dislike Los Angeles for some reason.

New York is the financial, fashion, and old money capitol of the country so maybe that is a reason for people to hate on New York. So maybe it is just a jealous thing.

New York and Los Angeles and the largest amount of good looking people and the largest amount of wealthy people. So New York always feels like a bully or big brother for lots of people. Also, NYC and Los Angeles has so many trust-funders who are just living it up while many people here in Seattle are stuck in an office working for Microsoft, Amazon.com, and Starbucks. Then when they get a lunch break they get the joy of going outside and getting rained on. Not to mention the fun commute to and from work. Seattle is like most towns in that you mainly only have nightlife and partying on Friday and Saturday nights where in New York and Los Angeles you can find people partying 24/7. New York being the city that never sleeps. Atleast Seattle has the 24 hour restaurant "13 Coins". Lol.

I should probably also throw in here that many people in Seattle don't politically dislike NYC and LA because NYC and LA are both really liberal. So many here would rather dislike a place that is conservative and republican. Seattle people tend to prefer blue states vs. red states.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:52 AM

Not a bad point allena75. It could have worked good being "What 3 cities are the most disliked in the entire country" instead of "your city". Especially being that I mentioned New York and LA. I'm sure that New York and LA are hated by people are over the country even though there are also probably lots of people are over the country that love New York and LA. I guess the one thing that is true for sure is that the 3 most talked about cities in the country are Washington D.C., New York, and Los Angeles.

I bet you would get lots of unique responses across the country though. For example, lots of people in Seattle hate Dallas, Houston, and Miami. Those could have been my 3 choices for most hated cities in Seattle but more people talk about NYC and LA so I chose those two to go with Dallas over Houston and Miami.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:55 AM

So New York and Los Angeles will probably be common choices while places like Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, and Miami might be more uncommon depending on where you live and who you talk to.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:19 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,304 times
i'd say philly, dallas, and new york. philly is a big one though.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:07 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
It's all just personal opinion at the end of the day.

For Chicago, I guess LA would be up there. I hear more people saying they don't like going to LA than people who want to do vacation there. Mostly just how far away things are and all the congestion.

New York is an interesting one. About 60% of people really love the city and like going there for long weekends. It's so close, tickets are cheap, you can take transit to the airports in Chicago and then easily get into NYC from their airports (although why they don't have solid train access is beyond me). The other 40% of people just seem to hate the city though. Too dirty, too many people, too cramped. Those are the usual complaints. Personally I love NYC.

Not really sure what the 3rd would be. Houston doesn't get much love, just cause people think it's a sprawled out generic city and it's so hot and humid down there. Detroit gets ragged on for the same reason it gets picked on by the rest of the country. There are also a lot of SE Michigan people who have come to Chicago for more opportunities and stability.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:24 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,012 times
Since moving to Philly, I haven't heard anyone express disdain for any city in particular. On the contrary, most folks I meet are very pleased to be living in such a vibrant city, and enjoy the easy access to other east cost cities within just a few hours. Of course, I'm engaging with real live intelligent adults and not anonymous CD posters.

I've been to 48 states, lived in 7 and traveled to over 40 foreign countries, and find cities fascinating. That's why I enjoy CD. That said, there is a lot of crap thrown around on this site by a handful of posters railing over cities they inexplicably seem to hate. I tend to equate the intensity of their animosity with their maturity level, however. But perhaps that's just me.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:50 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
i'd say philly, dallas, and new york. philly is a big one though.
Maybe on C-D they do, but in real life?

Old 08-25-2011, 09:50 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,101,403 times
Chicago, Madison, Hattiesburg, Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.