Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:33 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,163 times

Advertisements

I don't know if RTP in NC is all that great. I read about job cuts all the time.
It may be better than other places though, IDK.

I would say MN, DC or TX would be a better choice, but that is just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 08:34 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
DC doesn't really have a tech ecosystem. The tech community in DC is tied to the fed.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:33 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Actually Kansas City has a lot of IT jobs. Some people like it there but I don't (former resident for 20+ years).

Old 09-13-2011, 06:06 PM

562 posts, read 989,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Actually Kansas City has a lot of IT jobs. Some people like it there but I don't (former resident for 20+ years).
Really? Working for who? I've never heard of it in big industries. I think west coast all of the way. However, Kansas City would be much cheaper living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
DC doesn't really have a tech ecosystem. The tech community in DC is tied to the fed.
Don't know about OP but this is something I personally want to avoid.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:24 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
Really? Working for who? I've never heard of it in big industries. I think west coast all of the way. However, Kansas City would be much cheaper living.

Don't know about OP but this is something I personally want to avoid.
Kansas City has Sprint, Cerner, and plenty of engineering firms like Black and Veatch. Lots of STEM types of jobs (Science, Tech, Engineering, and Mathematics).

Old 09-14-2011, 01:02 AM

562 posts, read 989,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Kansas City has Sprint, Cerner, and plenty of engineering firms like Black and Veatch. Lots of STEM types of jobs (Science, Tech, Engineering, and Mathematics).
Oh, Sprint! Now I feel dumb, I knew that. Thanks for the knowledge.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:56 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
One nice thing about Portland is we have the Tri-County Gun Club. I'm told cities like Houston, Atlanta, despite being southern, actually have few options for shooting hobbyists. I am prepared to make sacrifices for my hobbies though, if survival is in question. Need to make money in order to maintain my hobbies.

I appreciate the suggestion about Austin, but probably is too liberal for my tastes. Being a mountain person, I would probably hate life in Texas, anyway. Not to mention the 110F days with 90% humidity, in places like Houston, would drive me mad.

I'm told DC job market requires high security clearance in the IT field, whatever that means.. LOL I, personally, don't want to live in the Northeast, especially places like DC or Boston. Long, cold winters, high crime and high cost of living don't seem like a great combination. And, I don't know what kind of job I could land that could match the living expenses and higher taxes in the NE. However, Richmond or other parts of Virginia may be a viable option, but I am not sure if I will run into security issues with the type of IT jobs available, as I would in DC.

You couldn't pay me to live in Minneapolis.. Sorry, -20F winters just won't work for me, especially with the absence of mountains.

Salt Lake can be option, but I sure will miss drinking beer and wine. I guess I will have to look into joining a wine/beer club and get my daily allowance of metered drinks.. Being a person who loves freedom, I don't want to live in a Mormon theocracy. I know I may inflame a few people by saying that, but it really seems to be truth of the place. On the other hand, if I could find a cheaper place to live, have a good job, maybe I could sacrifice my love for beer/wine. I know Utah is a good place for gun hobbyists.
No offense hon but you're kinda picky. The south is too hot and the north is too cold. No place has perfect weather except maybe southern California.

I live in the DC area and can vouch for it. This is a great place to live but its awfully expensive. So prepare for sticker shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Shooting ranges, huh? Well, you may be interested in knowing that the NRA headquarters is in Fairfax, Virginia. BTW, most semi-affluent neighborhoods in the D.C. area are very, very safe. In all likelihood, you will never see any real crime.
Yeah Virginia has some of the loosest gun laws in the union. Also crime is so not a issue in Northern Virginia.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:02 PM

405 posts, read 1,280,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
No offense hon but you're kinda picky. The south is too hot and the north is too cold. No place has perfect weather except maybe southern California.

I live in the DC area and can vouch for it. This is a great place to live but its awfully expensive. So prepare for sticker shock.

Yeah Virginia has some of the loosest gun laws in the union. Also crime is so not a issue in Northern Virginia.
No offense, but I am not that picky. I do live in the state of ORegon.. You want to talk about extreme weather?? Well, I think 9-10 months of constant rain is extreme and I live with it. Also, I said I'd be willing to live with extremes, but rather live with them in a beautiful place like Montana, rather than a flat and empty looking place like Minnesota. Sorry, Minnesota is just very flat for me. Same with Texas and many other places. However, I have not ruled the places out, especially if there is a high availability of jobs and a cheaper cost of living. Beggars, cannot be choosers. If you can re-read my posts you will see I said I was willing to make concessions. All I was doing was merely stating my preferences, is that not allowed?? Does that make me picky, that I state what I prefer? I might end up in Texas or some place like that, doesn't mean I will like the place. I'm a mountain man and love nature, living in a hot, humid, flat desert or swamp isn't exactly what I consider ideal. YMMV

Oregon has much "looser" gun laws than Virginia and yet we have much less crime than DC, NYC or any of the cities with stricter gun laws. PLEASE lets not get into a gun laws debate, I want to stay on the topic I originally posted.. We can go debate that in separate thread. Virginia's crime problem probably has more to do with being near DC or being in the "South". It seems that the South has more crime, as does the Northeast. THe Midwest cities have their fair share. In the Northwest, where I live, we have low crime, despite "loose" laws. I think demographics and culture play a major part.

ANYWAY, back to the topic at hand.

Quote:
Well, I lose out on all the beautiful nature and mountains, but at least I get some good barbecue sauce. I hear KC is known for that. Like other Great Plains cities, probably a place I would go as a last resort.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:32 PM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Fairfax County is the safest county in terms of crime in the D.C. area. What violent crime there is is mostly associated with MS-13s. But overall, it is very safe.

For the record, I've lived in the D.C. area (in Maryland) for close to 4 decades. I have never witnessed a violent crime. As long as you stay away from certain run-down, drug-infested areas (who in their right mind would go to those places anyway?), there is no reason to feel unsafe in the D.C. area. Most of it is pretty affluent and very family-oriented.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 09-16-2011 at 03:31 PM..

Old 09-16-2011, 06:01 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
Salt Lake can be option, but I sure will miss drinking beer and wine. I guess I will have to look into joining a wine/beer club and get my daily allowance of metered drinks.. Being a person who loves freedom, I don't want to live in a Mormon theocracy. I know I may inflame a few people by saying that, but it really seems to be truth of the place. On the other hand, if I could find a cheaper place to live, have a good job, maybe I could sacrifice my love for beer/wine. I know Utah is a good place for gun hobbyists.
I don't know what in the world makes you think you can't get beer and wine in Utah. About living in a "Mormon theocracy," you might want to go over to the Salt Lake City thread and see how many non-LDS transplants to the area absolutely love it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.