Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US region is more interesting or exciting?
Midwest 9 10.84%
Northeast 30 36.14%
South 14 16.87%
West 30 36.14%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 05:31 AM

399 posts, read 1,549,775 times

Advertisements

Without over-glorifying it...I'd have to say California...
Now, before you roll your eyes...

I've learned a lot about this place since I've moved here. We have the highest mountain and the lowest elevation, the highest and coldest recorded temperatures (contiguous US) and have the Sierra Nevada Mountains, Yosemite, Death Valley, Santa Monica Mountains, the Bay Area, the Central Coast and Central Valley, the Cascades up in Northern California...the ocean...it's everything.

That being said, others know that so paradise is expensive and loaded...there are 11.25 million people in my county alone! (LA) But we all know about LA...there are also many other beautiful aspects of being on the West Coast...such as being near Hawaii! The Deserts and Colorado Rockies are a short flight away too, my second and third most beautiful areas of this side of the country, being the Arizona deserts and mountains, and the Colorado Front Range and Rockies...

Hands Down, this side just has more beauty and diversity than any other part of the country. All places have their beauty...I miss the raging summer thunderstorms and beautiful winters of the Midwest, not to mention the Fall beauty in the Appalachians...wow! And the Gulf Coast and Florida is amazing too. But overall, I think you get more bang for your buck, (And out of it) here.

My priorities are as follows...

1. Diversity, liberal, artistic
2. Mountains and landscapes
3. Ocean or water
4. Energy and vibe
5. Connection to natural beauty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 08:47 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
IMO the South is the most exciting. It's a huge region with plenty of rural space, and just has a peaceful, stress-free atmosphere (except for the major cities). The Northeast is too stressful, cold and too down-to-business. And way too congested to be fun. I've never been to the Midwest, so I won't judge it.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:57 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,848,395 times
The west by far: great beaches, Hollywood, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, San Diego. The west is the best.

-Cheers.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:22 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
I would choose the northeast but, west coast would be a very close second. I'm not looking for the things which most people find exciting.

It seems that some here consider the northeast busy, crowded, edgy. There are plenty of areas in the mid-atlantic and northern states which are not at all like that.

"I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;..."

Old 09-23-2011, 06:29 PM

908 posts, read 1,829,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The Northeast is too stressful, cold and too down-to-business. And way too congested to be fun.
Thats what makes it the most exciting region of this country.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:37 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
I have been to 48 states and I'll tell y'all something. The USA is one beautiful place. There is no state in the USA that is not great. I've seen amazing things in ND and in Nebraska and many would label these places as boring. My personal Faves are both coasts, Appalachia, The great lakes region, Montana and Wyoming, Colorado, Utah and NM.

I'm going to single out Del. here. I love taking a 2 week holiday on the Delaware shore. I wish I was there right now! LOL.

Portland Oregon or Savanna Georgia, I could spend years in either of those towns.

And to reply to the post above. Yes there are Alpine plants and animals above 5000ft in the east.
I have spent a lot of time at the top of Mt. Washington in NH. There is about 2000 ft of mountain above the treeline and true alpine conditions.

I skied Tuckermans ravine every year when I was a teen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.