Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 02:11 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,915,323 times

Advertisements

This may be obvious but Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont are all Sox, Celtics, and Bruins territory. I didn't mention the Pats because since it "New England" it is there team by name as well.

Connecticut is half Boston teams half NY teams. I read an article once where they tried to map the border between Sox and Yanks territory. It went southeast to northwest and passed just outside Hartford with the capital city barely in Sox territory. Obvious this line is more of a gradient and you'll find a lot of overlap. You will also find some overlap in VT (Although this is historically Boston sports territory) and the Adirondacks area. Western Mass is very close to NY so you'll find some NY sports support but mostly from ex-nyers. Mass is unquestionably Boston sports zone.

Up in Nova Scotia the Red Sox are probably the most popular baseball team although the Jays have support too. The Leafs and Habs are both more popular than the Bruins there although all 3 along with maybe the Sens have visable support. For NFL, the maritimes are solid Pats country since there is no canadian team to compete, although many people root for other teams for various reasons. Basketball isn't very popular in the area but the Cs or Raps definitely hold the majority, probably Raptors.

EDIT: here is the article I was talking about. it includes a picture of the alleged border.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/18/sp...ll/18fans.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 04:11 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,339 times
Fargo/Eastern ND

NFL- 1. Vikings, 2. Packers, 3. Broncos, 4. Cowboys
MLB- Twins completely dominate the region
NBA- Nobody really cares about the NBA, there were some Wolves fans when they were good.
NHL- 1. Wild after that there are some Avalanche, Blackhawk, and Stars fans.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:48 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
In Eastern Iowa Chicago teams rule. Bears and Cubs fans everywhere...With a (big)handful of Pakers fans and St. Louis Cardinals fans.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:26 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,246 times
In some cases, there is a sub-major level team affiliated with the majors. Mississippi has an AAA baseball team affiliated with the Bluejays. I've know two people from Mississippi who were big Jays fans for that reason. As for me, I really can't fathom living somewhere that doesn't have a major league baseball team. It's just a fundamental requirement.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:45 AM

489 posts, read 1,324,734 times
Here in Las Vegas, all Southern California (especially San Diego Chargers) and Arizona teams seem to be the most popular. Also Dallas Cowboys.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:34 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris000 View Post
Here in Las Vegas, all Southern California (especially San Diego Chargers) and Arizona teams seem to be the most popular. Also Dallas Cowboys.
Yeah I've heard that the Cowboys are extremely popular in the Vegas area. Dallas is also popular in Virginia and....Washington DC. You really have to be here to understand my comment lol.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:52 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
my SIL is from Oklahoma and I believe she told me for the most part ppl were Cowboys fans (despite the love/hate relationship between OK/TX)....Baseball I think is Cardinals, but all of her family (except her) are Yankees fans (yuk), which isn't unusual.
Yes, like Arkansas, many Okies root for the Cardinals....HotLanta is just too far away. The Rangers would be 2nd in pro baseball for Okies.

For basketball, we have the OK City Thunder, of course, and it looks like we'll have 'em for a long time.

For pro football, Okies are definitely Dallas Cowboys fans. However, the Dallas Cowboys take a major backseat to the most premier college football program in history = the Oklahoma Sooners. Who needs pro football when you got the Crimson&Cream?!

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 06-02-2010 at 10:10 PM..

Old 06-03-2010, 12:40 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Yes, like Arkansas, many Okies root for the Cardinals....HotLanta is just too far away. The Rangers would be 2nd in pro baseball for Okies.

For basketball, we have the OK City Thunder, of course, and it looks like we'll have 'em for a long time.

For pro football, Okies are definitely Dallas Cowboys fans. However, the Dallas Cowboys take a major backseat to the most premier college football program in history = the Oklahoma Sooners. Who needs pro football when you got the Crimson&Cream?!
both she and my brother went there, and this NJ'ian roots for the Sooners!

Old 06-03-2010, 12:51 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Orlando

NBA Orlando Magic or Miami Heat
NFL Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Miami
NHL Tampa Bay, Miami, or Atlanta
MLB Tampa Bay, Florida, or Atlanta
Hmm I think
NBA is Magic unless we didn't make the playoffs and in which case it reverts by default to the Heat (assuming they made the playoffs).

As for NFL in my experience Orlando people generally cheer for wherever their parents originally came from - I know a lot of Packers and Steelers fans. I really don't meet many people in Orlando that cheer for any Florida NFL team, I mean they will but if its Tampa -vs- Pittsburgh for example they'll go Pittsburgh, that sorta thing.

I have no idea on NHL or MLB.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:53 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times
Oh Hawaii I imagine for NFL cheers for either SF or Oakland probably whichever has more Californians or Samoans on it. No idea for NHL or MLB. I know the Samoan community loves Oakland and Pittsburgh (Troy Polamalu is Samoan).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.