Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 08:46 PM

17 posts, read 58,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
Why is lightning so big of a deal? The odds of getting struck by lightning are like as high as winning the lottery. Even if you were one of the (un)lucky ones, most who are struck by lightning live to tell about it.
Thanks everybody for your answers.
I live in Columbus, OH. Two weeks ago the lightning struck the car that was parked in front of mine. That car burnt completely! And today tornado was over the building where I work! That's enough for me!
Any other suggestions where I can move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 08:58 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,223,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontbelloTopHat View Post
Denver Baby!
Denver only has about 567,000 people and its historical tornado activity is above Colorado state average. It is 62% greater than the overall U.S. average.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:06 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,223,627 times
Quote:
I heard Colorado has the second most lightning strikes behind Florida...

I don't know about lightning strikes, but Colorado ranks 10th in lightning deaths and injuries.

FL
MI
PA
NC
NY
OH
TX
TN
GA
CO

Old 08-26-2007, 12:16 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,500 times
Consider Chicago. We do have lightning (doesn't everywhere) but tornados are rare in the city. It's always the far away suburbs that get hit. Tornados need space and generally don't thrive in cities with many high buildings like Chicago. We have no earthquakes, no mud slides, no brush fires, no hurricanes and best of all, one of the nation's best natural sources of water...Lake Michigan. Water is plentiful and cheap. You can water your lawn as much as you want, the water system is awesome and the water is very clean. I would be wary of CA or AZ due to the water fights going on within those state. Water is going to be a more valuable commodity in the not so far future and we have a huge supply here. We have all 4 seasons and it does get cold in winter, but we rarely have severe snow. City services are so good at handling snow that it's plowed immediately. I've lived here for over 40 years and have never been even close to being a victim or a tornado. And unless you live along a river, flooding is close to non existant.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:48 PM

43 posts, read 216,060 times
Default Tornados in NYC

A tornado was recently (I think it was August 6) in both Brooklyn and Queens, causing a lot of property damage. Also, high winds causing damage are not unheard of in both Long Island and Rockland County, NY.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:50 PM

369 posts, read 1,638,968 times
Phoenix or Denver would probably be your best bet. All cities on lying directly on the West Coast are at risk for earthquakes. All the major cities in America's core are at serious risk for tornadoes. All major cities on the Gulf and Atlantic coast are at serious risk of hurricanes. Another that comes to mind is San Antonio but idk if it has tornado problems or not.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingvar View Post
Do you know american metro area with following criteria:

population over 2 million,
no lightning storms,
no tornadoes,
no hurricanes,
no earthquakes.

Any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newintha719 View Post
Denver Baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newintha719 View Post
Denver doese not have some of the highest lightning strikes in the nation even though we do get them, so does everywhere else in the world, and I think you made that up about tornados, the front rage has a very small risk due to the mountains also how can you say Denver is "OFF THE WALL" and you said Phoenix witch has the same chance of lightning, and a higher chance of tornados?
Quote:
I heard Colorado has the second most lightning strikes behind Florida...
Denver has a lot of lightning. There is a thunderstorm with lightning many a summer evening. I believe the quote about Colorado having the second most lightning strikes after Florida is true. There are probably fewer lightning deaths b/c there are fewer people here.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:49 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,031 times
the answer to your question is no.

and to the person that said DC, we get lightning, tornadoes, hurricanes, flooding, droughts, etc.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:26 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,898,807 times
The Weather Channel ran a what-if story on a supercell tornado hitting Chicago. They claim "it's a matter of when."

Michigan and Wisconsin have the fewest natural disasters, 1980-2004, per the NOAA. The Carolinas are a high-risk area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.