Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 05:17 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times

Advertisements

From Fairfield County, CT to somewhere south of Quantico, VA, east of the fall line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 09:09 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Well, I say that because of the coastal community aspect of it. It's more distinct than what people see as Southern. It has an unusual accent and that waterman culture is its trademark. I haven't spent significant time in the OBX but I kind of see it as an extension of VA but someone mentioned how it could just be its own thing. It just seems like the last stop for VA's brand of rural Mid Atlantic waterman culture before the normal Tarheel culture starts to shine through.

EDIT: BBQ is huge in NC. Can you even get good bbq in the OBX? Seem like seafood rules (I get it, they are on the coast but is bbq fish and shrimp big there?)
Believe it or not, the OBX has just as many BBQ places as it has seafood. I had a crab cake from there, it definitely didn't resemble a Baltimore crab cake, but it didn't taste bad. Honestly, NY pizza, BBQ, and Seafood is the appropriate order.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:35 PM

5,949 posts, read 2,871,799 times
Except for about 15 miles of land ,to the East of Albany NY , New England is separated from the the Mid Atlantic and the rest of the U.S. by the Hudson River .and I think we like that.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:49 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times
Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, DC, New York, and New Jersey. Pennsylvania and West Virginia by default.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:55 PM

828 posts, read 647,527 times
Mid-Atlantic I consider upstate NY (although Syracuse west is more like the Great Lakes region in some ways) from Albany west and south, as well as all of PA, all of MD except maybe counties south of Ocean City, VA near DC, northernmost WV, all of DE, and NJ outside of NYC metro.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:34 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, DC, New York, and New Jersey. Pennsylvania and West Virginia by default.
That is my view of the Mid-Atlantic today also. You may like this National Geographic map which includes everything from New York State down to Virginia, including West Virginia.

https://www.maps.com/national-geogra...-wall-map.html

I keep seeing people saying things like "this corner of New York down to this quarter of Pennsylvania and that corner of Maryland etc., is the Mid-Atlantic". The ENTIRE state of these states are Mid-Atlantic - the Atlantic is just descriptive like the way Pacific in Pacific Northwest is. All of Oregon and Washington are Pacific Northwest, you do not have to be on top of the water, even Idaho is sometimes considered PNW and she is no where near the Pacific coast.

Another example are the Gulf States along the Gulf of Mexico - the whole state is considered a Gulf state, not just the part by the Gulf of Mexico.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_C..._United_States

The Gulf Coast of the United States is the coastline along which the Southern United States meets the Gulf of Mexico. The coastal states that have a shoreline on the Gulf of Mexico are Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida, and these are known as the Gulf States.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:48 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Believe it or not, the OBX has just as many BBQ places as it has seafood. I had a crab cake from there, it definitely didn't resemble a Baltimore crab cake, but it didn't taste bad. Honestly, NY pizza, BBQ, and Seafood is the appropriate order.
That's interesting that seafood would come in 3rd (NY pizza is even more surprising). My experience with OBX is small and my opinion was just on the surface. I have more experience with VA and MD easily over OBX. Maybe OBX is just a glaring anomaly on the Southeastern Coast.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:00 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I keep seeing people saying things like "this corner of New York down to this quarter of Pennsylvania and that corner of Maryland etc., is the Mid-Atlantic". The ENTIRE state of these states are Mid-Atlantic.
I agree that's dumb. These definitions aren't meant to be literal. Sure there's nothing "Atlantic" about Pittsburgh, but having to cut up Pennsylvania this and that way to fit some definition is doing too much.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:18 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
That is my view of the Mid-Atlantic today also. You may like this National Geographic map which includes everything from New York State down to Virginia, including West Virginia.

https://www.maps.com/national-geogra...-wall-map.html

I keep seeing people saying things like "this corner of New York down to this quarter of Pennsylvania and that corner of Maryland etc., is the Mid-Atlantic". The ENTIRE state of these states are Mid-Atlantic - the Atlantic is just descriptive like the way Pacific in Pacific Northwest is. All of Oregon and Washington are Pacific Northwest, you do not have to be on top of the water, even Idaho is sometimes considered PNW and she is no where near the Pacific coast.

Another example are the Gulf States along the Gulf of Mexico - the whole state is considered a Gulf state, not just the part by the Gulf of Mexico.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_C..._United_States

The Gulf Coast of the United States is the coastline along which the Southern United States meets the Gulf of Mexico. The coastal states that have a shoreline on the Gulf of Mexico are Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida, and these are known as the Gulf States.
Well being that the term "mid-Atlantic" has evolved in a way those other terms have not, I can somewhat see how and why the term is sometimes limited to basically the southern part of the Bos-Wash corridor.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:47 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,736 times
for me mid atlantic runs from Delaware bridge to Richmond. Mainly going by culture, once you are south of Richmond things get southern fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.