Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 12:20 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Isn't TBN Catholic?
No, its Pentacostal/Charismatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 04:02 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
No, its Pentacostal/Charismatic.
Oh, ok thank you.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:45 PM

17 posts, read 44,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I consider Missouri (like Maryland), a border state- because look how it touches Tennessee and Arkansas. Those from Southern MO are definitely in the South.

I heard that you can't get chicken n' dumplings north of Kansas City, so I guess thats where the transitional zone would be.

I also like the tv show "Mama's Family"- that takes place in Missouri and showcases the areas Southern-Midwestern feel.
In my experince in St.Louis we do have chinken n' dumplings here

Old 10-01-2008, 07:28 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,390,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missouri guh314 View Post
In my experince in St.Louis we do have chinken n' dumplings here
Chicken 'n dumplings can be found in many places besides St. Louis. St. Louis is a solidly Midwestern city. Just because it has some Southern characteristics doesn't make it Southern or not a part of the Midwest. The same applies to most of Missouri as a whole. Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois all serve chicken 'n dumplings in some areas (I know because I had it in Southern Illinois years ago, and saw it promoted in Southern Indiana and Southern Ohio, and I know there are some places you can get them in Chicago or pretty much any city. To be honest, I've lived in St. Louis for 22 years and rarely have I seen chicken 'n dumplings advertised together....there's no sweet tea here either except at McDonald's or the fast food restaurants and other Southern franchise chains advertise. Two years ago sweet tea was hard to find above the Mason Dixon line. Chicken 'n dumplings is not cuisine that's really popular in Missouri at all to my knowledge...it's not heavily advertised nor do I ever hear anybody say, "Hungry? Let's go for some chicken 'n dumplings." That said, I will agree that Missouri is in the Bible Belt. But the Bible Belt and the South are not one and the same. St. Louis certainly is not a Bible Belt city, nor is Kansas City, and the Bible Belt covers most of the Lower Midwest.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:16 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,022,888 times
as its been shown on the maps Eastern New Mexico is part of the bible belt,I would have to agree with this, most people think all of NM is the same but they dont realize that eastern NM is more Texan than it is New Mexican

Old 10-02-2008, 05:49 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times
It's funny to me how these really old threads come back

Old 10-02-2008, 11:25 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
This map should end the discussion. The Bible Belt is the red and dark red areas of this map....anywhere thats orange, baige, or white is not in the Bible Belt. Orange can't be included because then you would have to include cities like Kansas City, Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, and others that are definately NOT Bible Belt cities.

Baptists are the litmus test because not only are they the denomination of "in-your-face 'you're going to hell'" Christianity, but they are the most politically active and try blur the line between church and state whenever and wherever they can. Red state DOES NOT = Bible Belt. There is a big difference between true conservatives and the Christian right.
>>>>>
Red state DOES NOT = Bible Belt. There is a big difference between true conservatives and the Christian right.
<<<<<

This is a great post BChris. I will say that Okies, Arkies, and Texans have always known we're pretty much the most theologically/morally conservative folks on the block. I certainly can't speak for everyone, but in my book that is a very good thing and gives OK, TX, and AR a unique (good or bad) feel religiously and in the way folks deal with one another.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,313 times
Default Bible Belt/Southern Illinois/We're in the south

Hey y'all... I am from Southern Illinois and let me tell you we are the south! We are the northern part of the south not to be confused with the deep south.. (Alabama,Miss,Georgia,Louisiana,Florida,South Carolina) but where we live we are 3/4 under the entire state of Kentucky. We talk like the south and the culture is the absolute same. We reside in the bible belt and tornado alley, cultural wise the food is the same.. home made and fried.. It's beautiful down here! We SHOULD NOT be associated with our state and we recieve nothing! Everything goes 7 hours north to Chicago, where all the people come down to University in So. Illinois and have no clue where they are just to get in state tuiton. So. Indiana and Southern Missouri should be considered as the south as well. Historical wise, we did not suceed but then again neither did Kentucky. By the way, if anyone disagrees with me, tell me we are not in the south while you can drive to Chicago in 7 hours, but then again it only takes 3 1/2 and you are in Mississippi... hmm... by the way, there is no major airport really close by so everyone flys out of Nashville,TN, all you hear on the radio here is gospel and country. Yes my fellow American's welcome to the south if you enter southern Illinois (Below Interstate 70) we are known as the dagger to the south!! Its truly a beautiful place to visit, we have the start of the ozard mountains here. Not to mention I can be in 4 southern states in 1 hour or less! Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee, and Arkansas. Also, parts of Illinois extend all the way down to Tennessee!! I love this place! So please when anyone asks you the next time where does the south begin don't leave us out!!

Old 10-20-2008, 07:44 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,458 times
Albeit Colorado is not in the Bible Belt, we are also one of the least religious states, our city of Colorado Springs is considered part of the Bible Belt. Thus sometimes it ain't a State but that of a region and I think that is the keyword.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:01 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,390,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdnmcguire View Post
Hey y'all... I am from Southern Illinois and let me tell you we are the south! We are the northern part of the south not to be confused with the deep south.. (Alabama,Miss,Georgia,Louisiana,Florida,South Carolina) but where we live we are 3/4 under the entire state of Kentucky. We talk like the south and the culture is the absolute same. We reside in the bible belt and tornado alley, cultural wise the food is the same.. home made and fried.. It's beautiful down here! We SHOULD NOT be associated with our state and we recieve nothing! Everything goes 7 hours north to Chicago, where all the people come down to University in So. Illinois and have no clue where they are just to get in state tuiton. So. Indiana and Southern Missouri should be considered as the south as well. Historical wise, we did not suceed but then again neither did Kentucky. By the way, if anyone disagrees with me, tell me we are not in the south while you can drive to Chicago in 7 hours, but then again it only takes 3 1/2 and you are in Mississippi... hmm... by the way, there is no major airport really close by so everyone flys out of Nashville,TN, all you hear on the radio here is gospel and country. Yes my fellow American's welcome to the south if you enter southern Illinois (Below Interstate 70) we are known as the dagger to the south!! Its truly a beautiful place to visit, we have the start of the ozard mountains here. Not to mention I can be in 4 southern states in 1 hour or less! Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee, and Arkansas. Also, parts of Illinois extend all the way down to Tennessee!! I love this place! So please when anyone asks you the next time where does the south begin don't leave us out!!
Missouri is a Midwestern state, not a southern one....despite your close proximity to Kentucky, Tennessee, and Arkansas, Southern Illinois is culturally mixed...the people change dramatically once you cross the Ohio River. not to mention, the Ozarks are not exactly Southern...they are a hodgepodge for both the Midwest and the South at least in most of Missouri. And Chicago is NOT 7 hours to the north...try more like 5. You can also be in Indiana in less than one hour and Ohio in less than 3. Southern Illinois is not the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.