Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2011, 06:36 PM

50 posts, read 144,859 times

Advertisements

I am trying to relocate my family. Here is what I am looking for:

-Safe community
-small-ish town (small enough that I know my neighbors and it has a community feel but not so small that it gets boring) or a suburb of a larger city
-either exceptional public schools or private school options
-large houses and a good amount of land where my 4 kids can play
-snow in the winter and warm in the summer

-price is not an issue
-finding jobs is not an issue (work from home)

thank you for your suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 07:07 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Town Of DeWitt - Onondaga County, New York. Established Since 1835.
Welcome | CBA Syracuse | Christian Brothers Academy
Holy Cross School (http://www.hcschooldewitt.org/welcome-to-holy-cross-school/ - broken link)
Manlius Pebble Hill School: A Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 12 Private School near Syracuse, New York
Jamesville Dewitt School District
East Syracuse Minoa CSD

Home Page - Town of Manlius, NY
http://www.manliusvillage.org/
http://www.fayettevilleny.gov/
Fayetteville-Manlius Schools
Immaculate Conception School

Some others I could think of in NY are: Williamsville, Brighton, Pittsford, New Hartford, Niskayuna, Guilderland, Vestal, Lansing, Webster, Clarence, Skaneateles, Fairport and Corning, among others. This could help too: 2011 Upstate school district rankings - Business First

Old 12-07-2011, 09:04 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck96 View Post
I am trying to relocate my family. Here is what I am looking for:

-Safe community
-small-ish town (small enough that I know my neighbors and it has a community feel but not so small that it gets boring) or a suburb of a larger city
-either exceptional public schools or private school options
-large houses and a good amount of land where my 4 kids can play
-snow in the winter and warm in the summer

-price is not an issue
-finding jobs is not an issue (work from home)

thank you for your suggestions
Maine is ranked as the safest state in the country (lowest crime rates) and would recommend the Falmouth area north of Portland. It has the climate you're after, many larger homes on large lots, excellent public schools and a great sense of community.

Falmouth - Maine Office of Tourism

Old 12-08-2011, 12:55 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
Rochester, MI

Northville, MI

Both are historic small towns, but surrounded by new large houses. Out of all the suburbs in SE Michigan, these retain the most sense of community while also having much of what you're looking for and then some.

Also, Northville and Rochester are among the Top 10 school districts in the state.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 12-28-2011 at 06:23 AM..

Old 12-08-2011, 08:28 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Rochester, MI

Northville, MI

Both are historic small towns, but surrounded by new large houses. Out of all the suburbs in SE Michigan, these retain the most sense of community while also having much of what you're looking for and then some.

Also, Northville and Rochester are among the Top 10 school districts in the state.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Okemos, Haslett and DeWitt are some other MI communities that come to mind as well.

A couple of the NY communities that I mentioned are on lakes: Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce - Welcome to Skaneateles
Town Of Skaneateles Government Site
Welcome to the Village of Skaneateles! | The Village of Skaneateles
Skaneateles CSD

GCACC
Village of Cazenovia
Town Of Cazenovia: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]
Cazenovia School District

Here are a couple of other communities I like as well: Clinton, New York: Historic Village of Clinton, NY Shopping & Entertainment Travel Guide
Clinton, New York: Chamber of Commerce: Clinton, NY Business - Event Listing: located in Oneida County: home to Hamilton College, NY, 13323, Central ny, Clark Mills, Franklin Springs, Deansboro, Oriskany Falls, Utica, Central New York, Mohawk Valley,
Village Of Clinton: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]

Village of Hamilton - Welcome to Hamilton New York

Last edited by Yac; 12-28-2011 at 06:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.