Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 12:03 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Correction. UofWI Madison :"arguably better then all of the private schools in the region."

Even better than Lawrence University?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 02:31 PM

161 posts, read 246,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I would not. MTU's engineering has a better reputation than MSU and Albion does not offer engineering.
Yeah, but outside of engineering, I can't think of anything else MTU is known for. You can go compare individual programs (heck, MSU has the best nuclear physics grad program in the country), but you have to look at the school as a whole. I'm not knocking MTU whatsoever...I like it a lot. Similarly, Western Michigan has a great aviation program.., but it woudn't be fair at all to say they are there with UofM in terms of overall school.

Best Nuclear Physics Programs | Top Physics Schools | US News Best Graduate Schools

One of my good friends is a Syracuse grad and I asked her this same question - she put UM, MSU, and then Albion. Didn't even consider MTU or Kalamazoo.

As this discussion shows, it's more important to look at individual programs than overall reputation of schools.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:09 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
For Wisconsin, the state I currently live in:

1. U of Wisconsin-Madison
2. Lawrence University
3. Marquette University
4. U of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
5. Beloit College

....and the next five is a mixed bag, perhaps including UW-La Crosse, another couple of UW schools, and maybe a couple of small private schools.
Beloit College? How do you figure THAT?

For Wisconsin, I think the top two are UW-Madison and Marquette, and after that I'd say it depends on the major. UW-Whitewater for finance, UW-Platteville for engineering, etc.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:48 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Even better than Lawrence University?

66% of the students are accepted with an average ACT of around 29. Similar numbers to UofWI Madison. Other than people from WI, who has ever heard of Lawrence University? I had to google them.

If I was sitting in HR from a MN company, I wouldn't have ever heard of this college.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:52 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Connecticut:

Yale University
UCONN
Wesleyan University
Quinnipiac University
Connecticut College
University of New Haven
Fairfield University
Trinity College
Albertus Magnus College
University of Hartford

Old 12-23-2011, 09:33 PM

846 posts, read 1,798,019 times
South Carolina:

1. Furman (hard to get into, but always has had a great legacy)
2. Clemson
3. USC-Columbia (both get thousands more applicants than the other schools combined)
T-4. Wofford (probably closer to 3rd)
T-4. C of C- My school, and reputation growing by the
6. The Citadel
7. Presbyterian College (just opened pharmacy school)
8. Converse
9. Coastal Carolina
10. Winthrop/Francis Marion

Few people have heard of Francis Marion outside of the Pee Dee area and maybe a little bit around South Carolina.

Honorable mention: Lander (good nursing program), Charleston Southern, Columbia College, several others.

South Carolina is well-served with its over 40 colleges and universities, even though they are some of the most expensive in the nation for in-state students (USC, Clemson and C of C all are over $10,000/year).

If you can't get into a university, some of the technical colleges (like Trident, Tri-County and Midlands) are basically universities only with the technical college name and the programs. Trident alone has over 22,000 students, and nearly 12,000 just on its main campus. They have 3 other campuses around the area.

Midlands and Tri-County also serve as bridge programs for USC-Columbia and Clemson respectively.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:45 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkytofu10 View Post
Yeah, but outside of engineering, I can't think of anything else MTU is known for. You can go compare individual programs (heck, MSU has the best nuclear physics grad program in the country), but you have to look at the school as a whole. I'm not knocking MTU whatsoever...I like it a lot. Similarly, Western Michigan has a great aviation program.., but it woudn't be fair at all to say they are there with UofM in terms of overall school.

Best Nuclear Physics Programs | Top Physics Schools | US News Best Graduate Schools

One of my good friends is a Syracuse grad and I asked her this same question - she put UM, MSU, and then Albion. Didn't even consider MTU or Kalamazoo.

As this discussion shows, it's more important to look at individual programs than overall reputation of schools.

That is true. Some people think UM is THE best college in Michigan. Most of us know better.

Michigan Tech's flagship program is metallurgical engineering/materials science. But I know business grads from there who have done quite well for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.