Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your opinion, what is the best southern city to live in for a gay couple in their 30's?
Atlanta 13 48.15%
Dallas 9 33.33%
Houston 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 01:46 PM

9 posts, read 24,616 times

Advertisements

We are a Gay Couple in our 30's seeking relocation advice. We are relocating from Miami to either Atlanta, Dallas, or Houston. Our main requirements are a decent gay community, low-commute time, outdoor recreation, and low crime. If anyone can offer insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Christopher
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 01:52 PM

112 posts, read 615,674 times
Your criteria are pretty general, but I voted for Dallas since it has a pretty thriving gay community right now, and it seems to only be increasing. It is also pretty affordable and I believe has a better public transportation system than the other two cities, which may help with commuting.

Any other specific criteria in a city?

Old 08-29-2007, 01:58 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,056 times
I was going to say much the same as the pp. Dallas has a large gay community in the Oak Lawn area and that's pretty close to the expanded Dallas Light Rail. Plenty to do, nightlife, theater, music, museums, umpteen restaurants, lakes and parks, etc.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:13 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
None of those cities have "low" crime. But I believe in the last stats I saw, Atlanta had the highest crime of the three and Houston the lowest.

If you enjoy the beach/water scene at all, the closest you'll get to that is Houston. The other two places are obviously land-locked. There's certainly nothing remotely close to Miami's South Beach, but at least you'll have nearby beach access and water recreation if you go with Houston.

Also Houston has a very large and well-established gay population in its Montrose area, which is also close to downtown and most places of interest.

So... I'd go with Houston first, and probably Atlanta last.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:19 PM

True, Dallas is land-locked but there are a number of very nearby lakes if one were so inclined.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:53 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Dallas has large gay populations in Oak Lawn but also in North Oak Cliff, Uptown, East Dallas and Lakewood. Anywhere in Central Dallas you will see gay people in restaurants, community activities, stores, etc. In fact gays are often featured in the society columns and upscale publications.

See The Lavender Heart of Texas - TIME

Old 08-29-2007, 04:39 PM

9 posts, read 24,616 times
Thank you for the responses. We are also looking for a nice place to buy an affordable home in an area not so congested as Miami.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:40 PM

572 posts, read 1,994,747 times
I'd welcome you to Saint Louis. If you moved to the Central West End, you could walk to boutiques, cafes, movies, galleries and Forest Park. Though it's a little more expensive. If you moved to the southwest part of the city, you could have a 1700+ sq. ft. house plus basement with a nice yard and garage for about $175,000. Commutes to activities could be within 15 minutes. Work place commute, who knows. Plenty of gays bars, if you're into that. No fear of gay bashing and I wouldn't worry about crime.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:49 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
As a fellow gay person, I can tell you that you're setting yourselves up for a mistake by using a "thriving LGBT community" as one of your main criteria. I've decided to raise my family here in my vanilla hometown of Scranton, PA, which is one of the least diverse metros in the entire nation. Why? There are more important things to me than gay pride festivals, gay bars, anti-Republican rallies, etc.

I'm not trying to discourage you from choosing amongst the three cities you selected, but I'm tiring of everyone looking for a "gay-friendly" area in the U.S. You're not going to find one---there are even homophobes in the Bay Area and in Manhattan (they're just kept quiet for fear of retaliation by the liberal majority in both of those areas). I've only been the victim of hate or prejudice several times here in PA, even though we apparently have a reputation for being a "redneck" state. As such, you and your partner should search anywhere for a city that you personally feel "at home" in, not just because the residents are more "progressive" or are well-educated enough to support gay rights. There are even thriving LGBT communities in places you wouldn't even think of, such as Albany, NY, Columbus, OH, and Harrisburg, PA. I'm a firm believer that someone of minority status shouldn't feel "forced" to move to one place or another just in order to feel accepted; if someone in your new city has a problem with you, just hold your head up high to realize that you have more class than they do by not stooping down to their level of uneducated pettiness.

Do I wish my native Scranton, PA was home to a thriving progressive liberal, well-educated population instead of its socially-conservative blue-collar roots? You betcha! Is that a deterrent for me? Nope. I just want to make sure you and your partner have chosen these three cities for the right reasons, not just because they're some sorts of gay meccas. Good luck!

Old 08-31-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
As such, you and your partner should search anywhere for a city that you personally feel "at home" in, not just because the residents are more "progressive" or are well-educated enough to support gay rights. There are even thriving LGBT communities in places you wouldn't even think of, such as Albany, NY, Columbus, OH, and Harrisburg, PA.
On that note, I would count Fort Worth as one of those communities. It's half the size of Dallas and gets overshadowed by its glitzyness but there is also a thriving LGBT community there, although on a smaller scale than Dallas. Don't be put off (if you are) by Fort Worth's "western" image. It plays it up so as not to be overlooked by all the attention that Dallas gets, its neighbor about a half hour to the east. There is even a Texas Gay Rodeo Association chapter in Fort Worth as well as other Texas cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.