Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:10 AM

175 posts, read 296,524 times

Advertisements

Well, the problem with having a family so big is that everyone wants something different. Even though most of us want to stay where there are "seasons" (including snow) everyone has said they would also be willing to give that up (especially after this season when we've had no snow at all and we might as well be living where it's warmer).

We have all really been talking about this lately (especially in the last few days over the holiday) because we kind of want to move NOW as opposed to beginning plans for the end of the school year in June. But realistically, we'll be moving in June, and that still requires looking now to close on a home that could take a while.

Ok, here's what I have...smaller city, suburb, or rural town close (within 2 hr drive or so) to a big city, with an amazing public school. Lots of city amenities (our town now has a waterpark, and the kids really like it) like parks, events, etc. for families...not looking for a college town or someplace with a lot of singles or professional couples, and not looking for something with a lot of retirees (but we're ok to be close to college towns and such.) From what I've culled down, no:
Ohio, DC, New Jersey, South Carolina, West Virginia, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missisippi, Arizona, Alabama, New Mexico, Indiana, Maine, Illinois, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Florida, Louisiana, Texas, Wisconsin, Washington, Oregon, Minnesota, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Alaska, Hawaii, Nevada, Montana.

There's has been favorable opinions among the troops (not based on cost, mind you) for Nashville area TN, Southern California, Western Massachusetts and area (lower NE), upper or western North Carolina, Virginia, Louisville KY area, but this is wholly non-inclusive.

I guess I'm on here because I don't even know where to begin.

Last edited by thebpseven; 12-28-2011 at 10:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 09:21 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
If you want snow, leave Alabama off your list. Mot of the state gets none, EVER. Or a light dusting once or twice a year. The most northern and higher parts, such as the Fort Payne area, get a couple more days.
And then we occasionally have a record-setting year, like this year, where we had snow on the ground for a couple of weeks. Of course, we don't have the equipment to deal with it so everything ground to a halt.
But if you demand snow each and every winter, don't come to Alabama.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:32 AM

I went on the Glens Falls website, and on the main page was an article about methadone clinics (plural) in the city...so that one's a big no. But Saratoga seems nice, if just a bit like where we live now.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:00 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebpseven View Post
I went on the Glens Falls website, and on the main page was an article about methadone clinics (plural) in the city...so that one's a big no. But Saratoga seems nice, if just a bit like where we live now.
Perhaps Queensbury, a suburb would work: Town of Queensbury

Welcome to Queensbury Union Free School District

Queensbury, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can't forget about Ballston Spa too: http://www.ballstonspany.org/

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballston_Spa,_New_York

http://www.ballston.org/

http://www.bscsd.org/

Old 01-03-2012, 08:44 PM

Ok, I'm going to try something different...Even if I found a nice place to live, there's still no guarantee I'd find a suitable home. So, my husband and I talked and we decided we need to find the right home, and the rest will fall into place. I have opened a new thread here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...l#post22386239
Thanks for all your help!

Old 01-07-2012, 10:21 AM

815 posts, read 737,048 times
One place you should look into is Idaho Fall, Idaho. Not a big city, but big enough to have any amenities you might need. Lots of families. Very close to some of the best outdoor recreation in the country, and has four seasons! I am trying to save up to move there myself!

Old 01-15-2012, 10:24 PM

49 posts, read 76,513 times
Thebpseven, sent a pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.