Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:24 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurbyThug View Post
I really wish you were right. I live in the sun belt. For every person from NY moving here with a job, there are 10 high school dropouts with criminal records from NY moving down here.

The competetion for high paying jobs here is actually not too bad, its the low paying jobs that are hard to get. The tri states worst have moved here and taken all the high school kids jobs.

If you move down here and you don't have an IMMENSE support system, and a college degree, your extremely ignorant of how the real world works down here. Good luck getting a job at mcdonalds, your gonna need it.

I'm actually planning a move from "the sun belt" to the "rust belt" in the near future because no offense, people from the northeast and midwest have completely ruined it. It's not the people themselves, its just theres too many of them at one time, and too many of them appear uneducated with a checkered past.
It's the people who flock to greener pastures, have little community loyalty, or are otherwise transient in nature ("flighty") that are flocking to the Sun Belt. THOSE people exist in every region.......the Sun Belt just has more than its fair share. The rest of "us" here in the FROST BELT (a better name for the region misnomered as the "Rust Belt") are good, hard-working people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 01:05 PM

62 posts, read 98,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
It's the people who flock to greener pastures, have little community loyalty, or are otherwise transient in nature ("flighty") that are flocking to the Sun Belt. THOSE people exist in every region.......the Sun Belt just has more than its fair share. The rest of "us" here in the FROST BELT (a better name for the region misnomered as the "Rust Belt") are good, hard-working people.
Your not speaking from personal experience, I am.
The south is literally being invaded by millions of people and a scary percentage of them are quite simply criminals or deadbeats. If I was dumb enough to assume we are getting your best and not your worst I would hate everyone from north of the mason dixon line, and assume the tri-state is a massive slum breeding ground for criminals and deadbeats.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:12 PM

62 posts, read 98,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just to bring some balance, the Syracuse and Rochester metros gained people this past decade. While it hasn't been huge, they have gained nonetheless and some other metros have made slight gains as well.
Spend some time in Atlanta, or Charlotte, Nashville, or Raleigh.
These are places where almost every single person you meet is from somewhere else. It's really rare to meet a native.

In Raleigh, ive met more people from the borough of Brooklyn alone than people from Raleigh.

In Atlanta ive met more people from Long Island than Atlanta, and its more common to meet someone from detroit, cleveland, or philly in most suburbs than natives in said suburbs.

These are not "gains nonetheless", or "slight gains". Each of these metros has doubled in about 10 years. There are large sections of these cities the size of the city of Philly that are now fully developed that 10 years ago didn't even exist.

Unfortunatly, too many of these people coming in are losers and not winners.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:28 PM

869 posts, read 1,278,311 times
I personally believe it is a combination of what everyone has mentioned:

1) The Rust Belt has been forced to reinvent itself (creating jobs and city rehabilitation)

2) The Sun Belt has had over a decade (or more) of population influx...of both skilled and mostly unskilled labor.

Are we seeing a national balancing act of evening the playing field?? I personally think we are.

Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, Rochester, Syracuse, and many smaller examples have become increasingly stable and sustainable. As population growth inevitably happens in these areas, it will occur through a much smarter model through what has been learned and the cultures of the places.

The Sun Belt may in fact struggle for another decade or so overall. Signs seem to point to this.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:47 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Spend some time in Atlanta, or Charlotte, Nashville, or Raleigh.
These are places where almost every single person you meet is from somewhere else. It's really rare to meet a native.

In Raleigh, ive met more people from the borough of Brooklyn alone than people from Raleigh.

In Atlanta ive met more people from Long Island than Atlanta, and its more common to meet someone from detroit, cleveland, or philly in most suburbs than natives in said suburbs.

These are not "gains nonetheless", or "slight gains". Each of these metros has doubled in about 10 years. There are large sections of these cities the size of the city of Philly that are now fully developed that 10 years ago didn't even exist.

Unfortunatly, too many of these people coming in are losers and not winners.
I already know about this. My parents are from Mississippi and SC originally. I have a sister that lives in Charlotte and a brother in Virginia Beach. I've spent time in other Southern states. So, I get all of what you are talking about.

I think it comes down to people thinking the South has all of the jobs and is more affordable(another misnomer), as well as some Black folks just wanting to come back to their Southern roots and the history in that part of the country.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:42 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
I think Texas should be left out of this since its doing extremely well.

The deep south, Arizona, Florida, and Nevada are starting to hurt, but theyll get over it.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:52 PM

8,631 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I think Texas should be left out of this since its doing extremely well.

The deep south, Arizona, Florida, and Nevada are starting to hurt, but theyll get over it.
Why are you lumping AZ in with CA, NV, and the deep South? Unemployment has dropped here too and the state's unemployment rate is closer to that of TX than NV, CA, FL, NC, GA, MS, etc:

Nevada - 13.0
California - 11.3
Mississippi - 10.5
Florida - 10.0
North Carolina - 10.0
Georgia - 9.9
Arizona - 8.7
Texas - 8.1

List of U.S. states by unemployment rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-22-2011, 03:53 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
Unemp rates are sloppy stats
US has near-zero unemployment rate for anyone w job skills useful to some profitable private employer....esp for college grads w/useful degrees and/or work expce (esp engineers in tech or o&g) or a non-college grad w/technical skills in stuff like machining, etc for precision manufacturing, oil&gas, etc
Modern era's highest-paid jobs w/superb job security and lavish pay/benefits, despite dubious economic productivity and skills, are those in government, healthcare and education (both K-12 and colleges)....millions of $75K+/yr "make work" jobs w/no need to earn a profit or compete for customers' money (healthcare and education, whether public/pvt, are largely taxpayer-subsidized industries, just like gvt)
Many of largest employers in towns like Bos, Phila, DC/VA/MD, Cleve, Pitt, etc are this new form of overpaid unionized labor, much like UAW of RustBelt of last century...perhaps explaining the remarkably low unemp rates (and poors of any major city (maybe 25+% of population of ole cities) aren't in unemp stats as have lifelong "jobs" of leisure in form of welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, public housing, mass transit, etc, all paid for by taxpayers who largely reside in affluent suburbs)
Many major regions like FL, Atl, Phx, LV, etc face issues of a lack of many skills-based, profitable, private-sector industries...but just have a lot of credit-fueled, consumptive/discretionary industries like housing, tourism, retail, etc...industries w/lots of skill-free, low-income jobs in a more profligate economy than today's

Old 12-22-2011, 04:26 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Where are you getting this 25% of old cities have people in those categories you mentioned? Many of those cities have tech jobs and smaller scale company manufacturing jobs. There are other jobs too. For instance, the Central NY area, which includes the Syracuse, Utica-Rome and Ithaca metros, has the second biggest insurance/risk management industry employment east of the Mississippi River. SUNY Oswego - News & Events

Here is a website highlighting jobs in parts of NY, including those that would be "Rust Belt" areas: Central New York Jobs

Central New York Jobs

Old 12-22-2011, 04:29 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Quote:
Your not speaking from personal experience, I am.
The south is literally being invaded by millions of people and a scary percentage of them are quite simply criminals or deadbeats. If I was dumb enough to assume we are getting your best and not your worst I would hate everyone from north of the mason dixon line, and assume the tri-state is a massive slum breeding ground for criminals and deadbeats.
I don't think we are disagreeing -- I am saying you're getting the worst of the North, not our best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.