Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you visit your central city?
Go there for work and most of my leisure stuff 8 13.79%
Go there for work only 8 13.79%
Go there for most of my leisure but not work 8 13.79%
Go there for about half of my entertainment/etc 8 13.79%
Only visit once in a while for events or when people visit 26 44.83%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 11:33 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that many people who live outside very touristy or famous cities actually are unfamiliar with the downtown area and/or rarely actually go there. For example, Washington DC and Las Vegas are two places where it seems where most locals live and work in the suburbs and never really venture downtown. I remember on my roadtrip we saw a friend who lived outside Las Vegas and she could not find her way around the Strip area because she said she only goes there when friends or relative are visiting or when there is a major event going on. Its the same with DC, and here in Baltimore also unless people have a job downtown though now across America more and more jobs are in suburban areas too to the extent that people don't really have to go downtown. Detroit is another city where people live AND work in the suburbs and in that case rather than touristy, downtown Detroit is an abandoned ghetto.

So where do you live and how often do you visit downtown? If you rarely go there, why? Is it because of crime, parking issues, crowding, prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 11:42 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
I live in Perth, WA and go on average about once a week. I live 14 km, about 8 miles, from downtown.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:53 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,052,100 times
Originally, I only went to LA maybe once every few months. My parents had no reason to go there and hesitated because there was "oh-so-much traffic".
Now that I'm old enough and can actually drive myself, I find myself going there at least a couple times a month to go clubbing or bar-hopping.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:10 AM

74 posts, read 275,022 times
I actually avoid going there as much as I can. I only go there if I need to or for work since there are barely any jobs in my suburb. Even then, I try to find a job in Boca rather than going to Fort Lauderdale. And Miami? I never ever ever go there. The only time I went to Miami was when I went to Ultra Music Festival with my wife since she really wanted to go.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:21 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,079 times
I can't believe you're using DC as an example of this. Suburbanites quite often come into DC for night life. Especially those suburbanites who live near a metro station, which is actually a decent proportion.

And as far as work, the "business" district in DC is the nation's third-largest in terms of office space. Inbound trains and inbound roads are awfully packed in the morning! Definitely more so than the outbound.

My experience there was almost the opposite of what you have observed.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:09 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Many suburbanites are afraid of cities, often because of minorities. Also due to being stuck in traffic most of their life they dont have time to visit a city, even if they wanted to. Of course their are a few exceptions.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:27 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,793,351 times
Cairo really isn't built along New World dense-core, sprawling-doughnut lines, but given I have to travel through some country to get home to work, I do fall into the suburban / exurban category.

I work downtown every day, but really, I only tend to go downtown every third weekend or so, if I averaged it out. Downtown Cairo has a lot more to do, but my suburb is a city in itself with enough options for food and day-time outings ( nature-spots, movies, good restaurants ) that I tend to mostly go downtown only to tourist ( all the history is downtown, or over by the pyramids in Giza ) or for speciality stores.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:18 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,804,424 times
I was surprised even in NYC there are many in the outer boroughs who do not leave their 1 mile radius. Obviously many do but even NYC has many who avoid going to The City.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:59 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
I was surprised even in NYC there are many in the outer boroughs who do not leave their 1 mile radius. Obviously many do but even NYC has many who avoid going to The City.
This is true. I grew up in NJ, 30 miles from NYC, and rarely went there except on the occasional school field trip to the UN or a museum. We weren't "city people" ,and my parents, who also grew up in the same town, were wary of the city and considered it a dangerous place.

I ended up working there and have for more than 30 years, but I still encounter people from my hometown (and family) who don't understand how I could go there every day.

When I was 31 years old, I went to the Statue of Liberty for the first time because someone from Wisconsin was visiting and wanted to see it, lol.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:23 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertrepuR View Post
I actually avoid going there as much as I can. I only go there if I need to or for work since there are barely any jobs in my suburb. Even then, I try to find a job in Boca rather than going to Fort Lauderdale. And Miami? I never ever ever go there. The only time I went to Miami was when I went to Ultra Music Festival with my wife since she really wanted to go.
Isn't this the truth?! All my family is from south Florida and we never go to Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.