Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,299 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My DH and I are looking into visiting the US. For a variety of reasons we are consigned to these locations:

Phoenix
Jacksonville
Buffalo
Nashville
Tampa
Atlanta
Charlotte

Our holiday criteria is:
- Nice city. Little crime
- No humid heat
- Lots to do
- Typical Americana feel
- Good culture/food
- Good experience for a Brit

Any suggestions from THAT LIST? No alternate suggestions

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 03:05 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,503 times
How about visiting other cities like Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Seattle, Boston?

Old 01-22-2014, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
How about visiting other cities like Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Seattle, Boston?
It has to be on this list. It's to do with cost/packages, etc.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:21 PM

I will speak for Florida. Jacksonville has a nearby beach and St. Augustine might be a cool place. But I'm not sure if Jacksonville can compete with Atlanta in terms of culture, food, amenities, etc. Tampa also has the beaches, Ybor city and now that it's winter time, you won't be experiencing so much heat. But I don't think Tampa has a lot to offer in terms of food, culture, and amenities compared to some of the other places you mentioned.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:28 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,294 times
I would put them in this order, best fit to worst:

Atlanta
Nashville
Buffalo
Phoenix
Charlotte
Tampa
Jacksonville

What time of year are you going to visit? If you're here in the summer, every city except Phoenix and maaayyybe Buffalo will be very humid. Florida will be humid all year round.

Atlanta has the most to do - lots of culture and history. You'll have a good time exploring. As far as crime... it's a big city, but you're not in any real, present danger unless you're monumentally unlucky or do something really dumb.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:31 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Nashville's the best of those options from what I've heard second hand from other Canadian tourists.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
I would put them in this order, best fit to worst:

Atlanta
Nashville
Buffalo
Phoenix
Charlotte
Tampa
Jacksonville

What time of year are you going to visit? If you're here in the summer, every city except Phoenix and maaayyybe Buffalo will be very humid. Florida will be humid all year round.

Atlanta has the most to do - lots of culture and history. You'll have a good time exploring. As far as crime... it's a big city, but you're not in any real, present danger unless you're monumentally unlucky or do something really dumb.
This looks about right.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:53 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
Based on your "no humid heat" criteria:

Phoenix (but Phoenix is a vile, boring, tedious place and no one should ever go there and besides it gets up into the 110s in the summertime, yuck. Yes, I lived there as a kid.)

Buffalo (I've been there but it's been so long ago I couldn't tell you anything about it. I think if you told any American that the only place you'd ever been to in America is Buffalo they would laugh hysterically at you.)

Nashville (Go to Nashville, there's lots of stuff for tourists to do, and it is in a very pretty natural environment if you can get out of town to see the surrounding countryside for a few hours)

Atlanta (But Atlanta is a huuuuge city with awful traffic jams.)

Charlotte (I think a trip to Charlotte would be fun. It's VERY pretty and has an interesting history and it's not so huge to be unmanuverable.)

Tampa (Humid, humid, humid, but near tons of touristy stuff to do.)

Jacksonville (Humid, high crime, and meh)

Old 01-22-2014, 03:56 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
An an obvious caveat: If this is a winter time trip, stay out of Buffalo!

But yes, Nashville and Atlanta would be the two most interesting places on that list to visit.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:29 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by British Holidaymakers View Post
Hi,

My DH and I are looking into visiting the US. For a variety of reasons we are consigned to these locations:

Phoenix
Jacksonville
Buffalo
Nashville
Tampa
Atlanta
Charlotte

Our holiday criteria is:
- Nice city. Little crime
- No humid heat
- Lots to do
- Typical Americana feel
- Good culture/food
- Good experience for a Brit

Any suggestions from THAT LIST? No alternate suggestions

Thanks
Of that list? I'd either go to Nashville(you'd get a sense of the country music side of American culture) or go to Phoenix, rent a car and go to Flagstaff and go see the Grand Canyon and Red Rocks around Sedona and southwestern landscapes.

I wouldn't plan a trip to just one of those cities and just stay in the city alone. None of those places are really interesting enough alone for those. Tampa or Jacksonville you can at least go to the beach, but the cities themselves aren't that special.

Atlanta is the best overall city for just stuff in the city, but don't stay downtown(it's dead at night), Midtown is better. If I went to Atlanta, I'd take a trip up to the mountains or Savannah as well (Savannah is a really interesting place).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.