Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 01:44 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times

Advertisements

Complaining about taxes
Mixing church and state (when they are supposed to be separate)
Comedy, especially making fun of ourselves
Giant Interstate intersections
Malls (though Asia is really tearing it up lately from what I have personally experienced)
Cultural change. The country has an amazing ability to turn on a dime sometimes.
Technology innovation (we just aren't the best at mass production anymore because we can't compete with corporate slavery in China where people live at work)
Basketball
Olympic swimming and track&field
reinventing recent history to our liking and convincing others that the revision is true (even if we are old enough to remember what really happened)
pop-culture (especially music) and trendsetting
building trucks
creating celebrities out of air
Ignoring the world around us
peach cobbler and pecan pie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 01:47 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Lets put it this way, xenokc...if you're an enemy combatant, the only military prison that you want to go to is a US prison. During WWII many German POWs did not want to leave, lol.
True. My mother has told me that you wouldn't want to go to any prison in Asian (Japan included) because you'll come out half the weight you came in. Extremely stressful. Probably why Sheriff Joe appeals to many people, he's not one to indulge the prisoners.

Things USA does better:

~BBQ
~Rock n Roll (and most music)
~Muscle cars
~Roller Coasters
~The very many landmarks and parks, both natural and man-made (SF Golden Bridge, Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, et.c)

Old 01-23-2012, 03:52 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
The USA is the best nation at destroying the enviornment
This is quite debatable.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:18 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times
I'll assume that many of the people posting negative things here about the U.S. haven't spent enough real time in many other countries. There are plenty of other countries in the world doing bad things in terms of environmental destruction, wars, oppressing human rights etc. that are far worse than anything the U.S. does.

This country is far from perfect, but seriously if some people hate it here so much...LEAVE. Nobody is forcing you to be here. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Quit whining.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
The USA is the best nation at destroying the enviornment.

A couple of tiny countries called China and India immediately come to mind. Do you really want to argue about environmental pollution?

Old 01-23-2012, 04:29 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Our National Parks would give any other country a run for the money like Yellowstone, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Yosemite. I mean is there any country on earth that can match our landscape and climate diversity.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:15 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Our National Parks would give any other country a run for the money like Yellowstone, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Yosemite. I mean is there any country on earth that can match our landscape and climate diversity.
Not diversity, but I think that British Columbia has the prettiest scenery in the world (Banff, etc). That place is magical.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:16 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I'll assume that many of the people posting negative things here about the U.S. haven't spent enough real time in many other countries. There are plenty of other countries in the world doing bad things in terms of environmental destruction, wars, oppressing human rights etc. that are far worse than anything the U.S. does.

This country is far from perfect, but seriously if some people hate it here so much...LEAVE. Nobody is forcing you to be here. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Quit whining.
I've been to only a few countries, but I couldn't wait to get back to the USA after 2 weeks!

Old 01-23-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
I've been to only a few countries, but I couldn't wait to get back to the USA after 2 weeks!

I was practically kissing the ground after coming back from India!

Old 01-23-2012, 05:38 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
If this thread so far is any indication, it seems that there's a large number of Americans who excel at dumping on themselves...

Last edited by 415_s2k; 01-23-2012 at 05:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.