Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 04:40 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,207,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Amen. Even though we rarely get snow for Christmas up here. Its just the whole scene though, Christmas in the desert or tropics is just wrong, allllll wrong.
The original Christmas was in the desert, you fake, blasphemous, materialistic, holiday poser you. And I'm not going to prove myself to a New York person or anyone else that I can be 'trustworthy' before I can receive kindness and respect, especially during the holidays! You guys have issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 08:33 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Arizona! I love seeing Saguaro cacti draped in Christmas lights, the never-changing environment, the rock/gravel yards instead of snow, snowmen dressed in cowboy hats and boots, etc.

I hope everyone is picking up on my blatant sarcasm.

I think the NE wins far and away, especially in states like VT, NH, etc. Id rank the Midwest second, then states like CO, MT, KS, third.
No, KS is one of the worst Christmas regions. It hardly snows very much at all for the most part in KS. It is so dry in eastern Kansas and western Missouri that it looks like a desert outside right now.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:34 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
I don't think snow was common in Bethlehem.

My most enjoyable Christmas memories are with sunny weather above 80 F at a nice beach.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:40 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,847 times
New England or NYC or Chicago for their beautiful city decorations. I live in Chicago and attend the annual lighting of the Christmas Tree downtown and it's such a nice event. The mayor gives a speech and thousands of people surround the tree. There are choirs singing caroles and they sell German hot wine and spiced hot apple cider. Regardless of how cold it may be, those drinks will warm you up. I love snow at Christmas. Nothing is prettier than snow covered trees with spakling lights peeking through. I have spent 2 Chrismas' in warm snow-free climates and it just wasn't the same.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:43 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Bronner's in Frankenmuth, Michigan, where it's Christmas year-round.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:17 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,825 times
Default Underrated area: New Mexico

I just lived for 4 years in Albuquerque, New Mexico...that is a highly underrated Christmas experience.

Unlike Phoenix, Vegas, or Florida, Albuquerque can be semi chilly-ish around Christmas (highs range from 40 degrees to 60 degrees roughly, but lows range from 15 degrees to 28 degrees roughly). There is even always a respectable chance for snow in ABQ for Christmas - much more so in Northern New Mexico at the higher altitudes (Santa Fe, Taos, etc.).

You have ancient, historic New Mexican Christmas traditions that are so unique. Faralitos/luminarias are awesome...especially the tradition of lighting the real ones on Christmas Eve. Eating tamales with red chile and biscochitos and drinking hot chocolate. Ancient (from the 1600s and 1700s) churches being dressed up for Christmas. The scent of pinon burning in chimneys. The Christmas tree lighting tradition in Old Town.

Wow...just typing this makes me really, really already miss being in Albuquerque for Christmas (and it is only September!).

Old 09-05-2007, 02:27 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
The original Christmas was in the desert, you fake, blasphemous, materialistic, holiday poser you.
Thats great and all, but I dont live in the Middle East. If I did, only then would Christmas in the desert seem natural.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:50 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,080 times
I always have this idyllic picture of Christmas in a small northern town with Main Street lit up with those old fashioned big colored lights, and snow on the ground. Hardly what we get here in Louisiana. Actually in 2004 it snowed for the first time in over 150 years in the NOLA area. It was the most awsome Christmas day ever. The following Summer Katrina hit. If it ever snows on Christmas again, I'm renting a U-Haul and heading for the hills.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:13 AM

859 posts, read 3,321,547 times
I can't imagine being some place warm for Christmas! I'd hate it. December is the one month of the year I like the cold.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:37 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
New England at Christmas time is a pure joy, beautiful, festive and some villages are so impossibly picturesque and pretty they almost look fake. I just love it. I think a "traditional" old fashioned Christmas is something to cherish...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.