Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:12 PM

102 posts, read 454,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
(in order)
San Diego--too close to the border and why live here when L.A. is close by?
I dunno maybe because San Diego doesn't have the horrible traffic, smog, and urban sprawl that LA does. It's also safer. SD isn't perfect but compared to LA it wins by a big margin. If I had a lot of money it would be between Seattle, San Francisco, and San Diego. Any of them would be good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 02:14 PM

436 posts, read 1,348,124 times
Top Tier:
Chicago: like a more manageable version of NYC, love the midwest attitude
Boston: like Chicago but with a NE accent

Middle Tier:
Atlanta: similar to where I already live but with hills
NYC: great to visit, just don't see myself living there
Minneapolis: despite the fact that a friend from there thinks that sunny and minus 3 degrees makes for a beautiful day...
San Francisco: love the weather, like the city and being close to a variety of activities, afraid of earthquakes...
Philadelphia: nice city, close to NYC and DC
Portland: heard good things about it

Bottom Tier:
Miami: while it would be great to be by the water, the heat and humidity would get to me; may not be true but it strikes me as not well maintained unless you're in the money although that's not an issue, is it?
St. Louis: Humidity city! When I was there in April, I thought they were shooting off fireworks at the Arch which was right across from my hotel. Uh, no, they were gunshots. Nice. Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth unlike Ted Drewe's which leaves a good taste in my mouth.
Seattle: too much rain
Los Angeles: Despite the fact that zillions of tv shows not only are filmed there and take place there, no way. That's tv. Real life: expensive and crowded. The highways are insane. Even if money wasn't an issue, I'm still only willing to visit for work. Not sure why people are so impressed with LA.
San Diego: love the weather, hate the proximity to Mexico.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:03 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
San Francisco
New York

Old 09-13-2007, 01:07 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,294 times
New York City-Manhattan to be exact

Old 09-13-2007, 02:32 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
Top Tier:
Chicago: like a more manageable version of NYC, love the midwest attitude
Boston: like Chicago but with a NE accent

Middle Tier:
Atlanta: similar to where I already live but with hills
NYC: great to visit, just don't see myself living there
Minneapolis: despite the fact that a friend from there thinks that sunny and minus 3 degrees makes for a beautiful day...
San Francisco: love the weather, like the city and being close to a variety of activities, afraid of earthquakes...
Philadelphia: nice city, close to NYC and DC
Portland: heard good things about it

Bottom Tier:
Miami: while it would be great to be by the water, the heat and humidity would get to me; may not be true but it strikes me as not well maintained unless you're in the money although that's not an issue, is it?
St. Louis: Humidity city! When I was there in April, I thought they were shooting off fireworks at the Arch which was right across from my hotel. Uh, no, they were gunshots. Nice. Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth unlike Ted Drewe's which leaves a good taste in my mouth.
Seattle: too much rain
Los Angeles: Despite the fact that zillions of tv shows not only are filmed there and take place there, no way. That's tv. Real life: expensive and crowded. The highways are insane. Even if money wasn't an issue, I'm still only willing to visit for work. Not sure why people are so impressed with LA.
San Diego: love the weather, hate the proximity to Mexico.
You have given some thought to your preferences. I like that.......Unfortunately there are not many places in the US that fit the bill. If Canada was included
,O' So many Cities. ( remember, if you have the funds , you can live there ! ). Places like Vancouver, Toronto, are great cities. Clean, great people, low crime , and the views, sports , culture, they got em all !

Old 09-13-2007, 08:25 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,808 times
Boulder, CO and Boston, MA are the two at the top of my list.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:52 AM

234 posts, read 1,158,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicman25 View Post
I dunno maybe because San Diego doesn't have the horrible traffic, smog, and urban sprawl that LA does. It's also safer. SD isn't perfect but compared to LA it wins by a big margin. If I had a lot of money it would be between Seattle, San Francisco, and San Diego. Any of them would be good.

this is comming from someone who lives in minnesota. hey kevin garnett doesnt agree with you. He has a home in LA while he was playing for the minnesota timberwolves... lol you

Old 09-13-2007, 11:36 AM

301 posts, read 823,665 times
Having been to them all, have to go with Seattle since someone "forgot" to put Anchorage on the list!

Old 09-13-2007, 12:27 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
Having been to them all, have to go with Seattle since someone "forgot" to put Anchorage on the list!
Anchorage would be my pick also, for sure , however the economy up there is not what it used to be. You do not have to be young to live there , but , it helps. I encourage young people in general to check it out. The future for the area is , there is another boom coming,get in now while you still can !
The nature , the raw opportunity, the " last frontier " , is a winner.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:42 PM

6 posts, read 17,784 times
San Francisco, Seattle, Portland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.