Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 08:20 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Don't let the numbers fool you. The interracial marriages in DC are nearly all between Latinos, Asians, and whites. Blacks are seen as absolute scum by everyone else in that city, regardless of income or educational status. Granted some of them bring it on themselves, that still doesn't justify a 0.3% intermarriage rate between blacks and non-blacks.
Does it really matter, to be honest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 02:22 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Does it really matter, to be honest?
When you're stuck in a city due to the national economy, and within that city have your social liberties limited by what the populous deems "proper", then YES, it matters.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:16 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Reminds me of a crazy article i was reading yesterday:

Quote:
Reporting from Washington— After years of battling false claims and viral emails alleging that he is a Muslim, President Obama hasn’t gotten far among Republican voters in Alabama and Mississippi – about half still believe he is Muslim and about 1 in 4 believes his parents’ interracial marriage should have been illegal, a new poll shows.
Quote:
A few states, including Alabama, kept the laws even though they could no longer be enforced. Alabama finally repealed its law in 2000 through a public referendum, though 40% of the electorate voted in favor of keeping interracial marriage illegal.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
When you're stuck in a city due to the national economy, and within that city have your social liberties limited by what the populous deems "proper", then YES, it matters.
Even if those things are true, it isn't really something that important, either way. It could be a matter of choice. Plain and simple.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:42 PM

604 posts, read 1,521,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MostInterestingPoster3 View Post
http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/files...arriage-II.pdf

Intermarriage by region:
West: 21.9% of all marriages
South: 13.9% of all marriages
Northeast: 12.6% of all marriages
Midwest: 11.1% of all marriages
United States: 15.1% of all marriages

Outmarriage by group:
Non-Hispanic White: 9.4%
Black: 17.1%
Hispanic: 25.7%
Asian: 27.7%

Intermarriage Types
White/Hispanic: 43.3% (of which are located 37.1% West, 34.5% South, 15.5% Midwest, 13.0% Northeast)
White/Asian: 14.4% (of which are located 42.9% West, 26.7% South, 15.5% Midwest, 14.9% Northeast)
White/Black: 11.9% (of which are located 50.9% South, 19.8% Midwest, 15.7% West, 13.6% Northeast)
Other Types: 30.4% (of which are located 37.0% South, 36.1% West, 15.8% Midwest, 11.4% Northeast)

Top 10 states by intermarriage
1. Hawaii: 42.4%
2. Oklahoma: 26.3%
3. Nevada: 25.6%
4. New Mexico: 25.4%
5. Alaska: 23.9%
6. California: 23.2%
7. Arizona: 22.0%
8. Washington: 21.2%
9. Oregon: 20.4%
-DC- 19.3%
10. Colorado: 18.5%

Thoughts?

I actually thought the Northeast was going to be way higher, especially in states like New Jersey and New York, where there are interracial couples everywhere. Guess intermarriage isn't as common as I thought there.

This shouldn't surprise you. In my experience people on the east coast tend not to be as open as people out west when it comes to inter marriage. Plus many of the people on the east coast come from very established families that are less likely to break from old traditions compared to the western states.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:43 PM

604 posts, read 1,521,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Black people are the least likely to get married in general.

I was about to say the same thing. 75 percent of the black population never gets married. The majority of black families have been destroyed by absent fathers and single mothers.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:35 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
I was about to say the same thing. 75 percent of the black population never gets married. The majority of black families have been destroyed by absent fathers and single mothers.
It's mainly because the women purposely kept the father out of their children's lives and black women were becoming affiliated with feminism, an anti-male female supremacist hate group. That's what destroyed the black family unit.

It's one of the reasons many black men are getting involved in intermarriages.

Last edited by West of Encino; 03-14-2012 at 08:05 PM..

Old 03-14-2012, 07:55 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
It's mainly because the women purposely kept the father out of their children's lives and black women were becoming affiliated with feminism, an anti-male female supremacist hate group. That's what destroyed the black family unit.
Uh, "feminism" isn't an "anti-male female supremacist hate group," it's a philosophy

Anyway, back on topic...

Does anyone have numbers on how many black folks are involved in interracial relationships beetween the regions? I wonder how the percentages hash out between the West and elsewhere.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:55 AM

103 posts, read 274,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post

It's one of the reasons many black men are getting involved in intermarriages.
That is not true. A lot of black men don't want to be in their children's lives. A lot of black men get incarcerated which leaves the women on their own to raise the kids. As a black woman and I grew up in a all female household, I can tell you we weren't a bunch of man hating feminist. Black men marry outside their race because black women don't put with all the crap others do. Also I have noticed that when black men "move up" they feel that dating black women is a down grade.

On any given day in the United States, about one out of every eight black men between ages 20 and 29 is in jail or prison, and more than 60 percent of the inmates in U.S.

I am a huge fan of interracial marriage, and hope to marry outside my race one day soon. I know many black women who don't want to marry inside their race because of disappointing potential mates.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
I wouldn't go that far, but in comparison to other groups, Black folks don't get married as much. Black African American Demographics Population

There are other factors, that can be found on that same website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.