Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 03:09 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Not going to happen.

1. The current situation in Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Austria, Switzerland, U.K., Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland is equal or better than the situation in the United States.
2. The countries in 1. will be the number one choices for anyone leaving those countries that are worse off.
3. Even if people wanted, they couldn't just immigrate to the U.S.. The times when people could just hop on a ship/plane and enter the country are long gone. It is ridiculously difficult to (legally) immigrate.
There are reasons for that.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:24 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
The US has a visa waiver program for the Irish making it easier for them to come here compared to people from other countries.
Most 1st world countries have a visa waiver for the US...
Is there a special waiver for the Irish that extends beyond those of other foreigners?

Old 03-27-2012, 04:09 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
I stream a popular London UK radio station and there is actually an ad playing advertising jobs in Canada and Australia. Of course Britain is in better shape then most of Europe so I don't see more than a trickle leaving.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
Most 1st world countries have a visa waiver for the US...
Is there a special waiver for the Irish that extends beyond those of other foreigners?
Yes, however I forget what it is called at the moment.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:32 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,398 times
Quote:
Yes, however I forget what it is called at the moment.
I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I really would like to see proof of this and know what the waiver specifically allows because this is an area of interest for me.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:16 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Are Canadians also actively soliciting immigrants from Mexico and Latin America or does Canada prefer White Europeans?

Old 03-27-2012, 08:47 PM

239 posts, read 509,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
i checked the boston forum, and there are also a few threads there of Irish folks looking to immigrate to the US, but there does not seem to be discussion of a single neighborhood like Woodlawn in NYC - perhaps because irish and irish americans are so common all over the area there?
I'm from Long Island/NYC and you are right, there are many Irish immigrants in Woodlawn. My guess is that they have Irish American families already living in NYC and are coming over to work.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:49 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,385 times
Quote:
The US has a visa waiver program for the Irish making it easier for them to come here compared to people from other countries.
Yes they do. But this visa waiver program is only for a 90 day visit, you need to present a return ticket and it is strictly forbidden to work or to use the visa waiver program with the intention to stay permanently. So that is not going to help any (legal) Irish/Greek/whatever immigrant at all.

Quote:
There are reasons for that.
And your point is...?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:49 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
It may be worse in some places (Greece, Ireland). But, the US isn't doing so well either. I don't know many who would give up what they have in Europe to come to America these days. The standard of living in many of those countries is actually higher than here in the US and government programs make it easier to get by on lower wages than in the US.

I'm French and most of my relatives think I'm crazy for living and working here. The image of America as the land of hope and opportunity, at least in Europeans' eyes, is gone.
government programs shouldn't be considered in a standard of living survey. if it is, then it has an agenda. there is no way europe exceeds the states standard of living, be it disposable income, material goods, or whatever. europe tried so hard to be that utopian society and is failing miserably. americans are far happier, far more generous and giving people than europeans and we've managed to have a much more stable government and society in recent history. much of europe is going on what, 20 years of its "system" and stability and they all want to sit here and lecture us? get real.

do you believe what your relatives and other europeans like to believe that our standard of living is lower, meanwhile they pay $10 a gallon for gasoline, drive around in little basic cans all day, follow our trends, listen to our music, even imitate our frickin gangs? at the same time they dog us, they constantly look to us to either protect them, blame us, or set new trends for their people.

to me it only seems like it's more of an inferiority complex they don't want to accept.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 03-28-2012 at 01:57 AM..

Old 03-28-2012, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
And your point is...?
It explains why immigration is such a long process in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.