Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:44 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Interstates were built along the path of least resistence where possible. Several years ago somebody on another forum, SSP, gave an outstanding online photo tour of the geography of Nebraska and it's amazing how beautiful that state is once you get off I-80 and outside of the Platte River Valley. I wish that thread were still up and wish all of us had one for every state to enjoy and reference. It was that good.
This is very true. Moreover, even when the Interstates are built through hilly terrain, they often use fill to ease the grades or cuts through the hillside. This sometimes makes the hills seem less dramatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 08:21 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
This is very true. Moreover, even when the Interstates are built through hilly terrain, they often use fill to ease the grades or cuts through the hillside. This sometimes makes the hills seem less dramatic.
You see this a lot in MO on I-55, South of St. Louis. Even then, it's still a very hilly drive. It's scary to drive at night, for me at least

Old 04-11-2012, 07:14 AM

17,776 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Is that supposed to be some kind of offensive remark? Because if it is, I'm offended.
I guess that depends on what your definition of "is" is.

All I am saying is that I-40 west isn't table top flat. The hills aren't large but they are there. However, it seems flatter than it really is because it is so wide open. I can promise you however, if you get on a bicycle and try parts this area............you'll be glad when you hit some of the flat parts.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:34 PM

307 posts, read 802,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Define irony: The flattest part of Missouri is the part of Missouri that's not considered to be part of the Midwest .
How about this...what is currently probably the most boring area of the state (in terms of lack of interesting landforms) is one of the more historically diverse, interesting areas in the region. I'm referring to the Bootheel, of course.

Google Little River Drainage, New Madrid Fault, Swampeast Missouri, etc. this area sure doesn't look like it did even 100 years ago.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:55 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcintyre1s View Post
How about this...what is currently probably the most boring area of the state (in terms of lack of interesting landforms) is one of the more historically diverse, interesting areas in the region. I'm referring to the Bootheel, of course.

Google Little River Drainage, New Madrid Fault, Swampeast Missouri, etc. this area sure doesn't look like it did even 100 years ago.
I love the Bootheel. Honestly it's my favorite part of the state because of the fact that it is so laid back and lots of good fishing. And it has always felt like home to me. (Even though I'm from the Cape area I consider the Bootheel to be the home part of the state for me). Totally agree with you on the history.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
You see this a lot in MO on I-55, South of St. Louis. Even then, it's still a very hilly drive. It's scary to drive at night, for me at least
I wish I had a dollar for every time I have made that drive.
Never even occurred to to me that it might be scary for some folks.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcintyre1s View Post

Get off the main roads, and you would be surprised at how much it actually does look like it did originally.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Get off the main roads, and you would be surprised at how much it actually does look like it did originally.
That's why I love Duck Creek, Otter Slough and 10 Mile Pond. It does look like the old Bootheel and I love it.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
That's why I love Duck Creek, Otter Slough and 10 Mile Pond. It does look like the old Bootheel and I love it.
Exactly!
I would add the whole Mingo area to that list.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Exactly!
I would add the whole Mingo area to that list.
True. I call the whole area Duck Creek but I guess I should be more clear. Some of the best fishin in Southeast Missouri
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.