Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 12:53 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,219 times

Advertisements

Anybody else notice the different lifestyles between the two...I mean it may be me...but just came back from 2 business trips from California and New Mexico. Currently in Charlotte, NC. , but if you have ever been to Charlotte, it seems the whole city "lives to work"....I mean the majority of people here, eat, breathe, and sleep their job. As opposed to Albequerque, and San Jose natives, who actually know how to cut off the job at 5pm and go out and have some fun. In other words, its not all about the job to people out west...I mean our work teammates were so, so, so much more laid back and in "chill" mode compared to the 'stuff-shirts" whom i work with in Charlotte. I work in Corporate America and I expect "stuffiness" to an extent, but it just seem like out west, people were so much more relaxed.....Now I could be wrong about this...but this was just my observation.....Anybody else agree
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 01:37 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,617,686 times
I absolutely agree and I have never even been to the west. I've just heard story after story about this same thing regarding business etiquette and attire. All across the east coast is very formal and conservative in attire and practice. It's especially evident in NYC where you will see a handful of business men and women employees dressed to the nines in suits and ties getting to work. Whereas in the west, employees may come to work in shorts and flip-flops. Amazing. Personally, I'm done with the east coast and it's stuffiness.

Last edited by allenk893; 04-04-2012 at 02:57 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 02:06 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,460 times
Yes this is not uncommon. I've heard this from others too, and it's something that is felt and observed upon traveling to cities in the east and western united states, but yes, the west coast tends to put more emphasis on "Living" Life verses the "Daily Grind" both have there place that's for sure. When compared to the rest of the world the Western mindset is probably more in line. Eupopean nations far and away get more vacation time than Americans do. And in the Island nations of the carribean and into central and south america everyone knows that at sometime in the afternoon is it (2:00 pm) That most people kinda break out and take a few moments out of there day to just chillax!!

Old 04-04-2012, 02:18 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I absolutely agree and I have never even been to the west. I've just heard story after story about this same thing regarding business etiquette and attire. All across the east coast is very formal and conservative in attire and practice. It's especially evident in NYC where you will see a handful of business men and women employees dressed to the nines in suits and ties getting to work. Whereas in the west, employees may come to work in shorts and flip-flops. Amazing. Personally, I'm done with the east coast and it's stuffiness. People work to live here. To me, there are not enough cons to justify it. Not even for NYC. This is one of the major reasons why I'm moving to Southern California later this year. I'm done with the rudeness, low quality of life, weather (awful humidity), animals (f-ing critters everywhere in FL), and the people.
You might want to research that one further.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:24 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
You might want to research that one further.
+1
Only thing left is a hawaiian shirt. lol

Its all a beach party out here dontchaknow?

Old 04-04-2012, 02:30 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
I think it depends on the line of work and where you live on both coasts. That may just be me though.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:27 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,899 times
Isn't this the Eastern vs. Western Living thread all over again?

Old 04-05-2012, 04:24 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,070 times
I don't think there is really such a big difference. I've lived on both coasts, and there are type-A people everywhere, along with people only interested in working enough to cover their needs. Both places have jobs requiring suits and jobs allowing a much more casual look. Although I think it's only the rarest company that encourages shorts and sandals.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:29 PM

398 posts, read 751,029 times
Yes, Charlotte is a banking town... I mean certainly that isn't the main industry but the fact that it is, is quite telling. And they have a lot to prove, so maybe they are overcompensating.

I think Florida is pretty care free though compared to the rest of the East Coast...

I was also just living in the SF Bay Area... so, it certainly isn't like that, just in a different way.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:33 PM

603 posts, read 966,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Anybody else notice the different lifestyles between the two...I mean it may be me...but just came back from 2 business trips from California and New Mexico. Currently in Charlotte, NC. , but if you have ever been to Charlotte, it seems the whole city "lives to work"....I mean the majority of people here, eat, breathe, and sleep their job. As opposed to Albequerque, and San Jose natives, who actually know how to cut off the job at 5pm and go out and have some fun. In other words, its not all about the job to people out west...I mean our work teammates were so, so, so much more laid back and in "chill" mode compared to the 'stuff-shirts" whom i work with in Charlotte. I work in Corporate America and I expect "stuffiness" to an extent, but it just seem like out west, people were so much more relaxed.....Now I could be wrong about this...but this was just my observation.....Anybody else agree
West coast is a bit more 'flakey' or 'relaxed' depending on your POV.
But, they both have more in common with each other than they do with Flyover Country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.