Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 09:51 AM

402 posts, read 370,126 times

Advertisements

Source:https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/15/peop...-linkedin.html

No surprises in the top five...

Austin, Phoenix, Nashville, Tampa, Jacksonville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 10:19 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,711,672 times
Phoenix is really a mystery to me.

It doesn't really have a very dynamic economy (compared to Dallas or Atlanta) or dominant single industry (I.E. Oil for Houston or Finance/Banking for Charlotte) to help buoy its growth, it has a state income tax and it's hotter than Hades there.

Yet, it just seems to be growing faster and faster.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:50 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,704,891 times
Stats have shown through the pandemic that people are fleeing from areas that are:

High Cost
High Tax
Democratic States
Bad Weather

to cities with:

lower cost
lower taxes
Republican
Sunny/warm weather
Strong economies

In general, this list also validates that, with a few exceptions

Old 12-16-2020, 12:51 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,979,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Phoenix is really a mystery to me.

It doesn't really have a very dynamic economy (compared to Dallas or Atlanta) or dominant single industry (I.E. Oil for Houston or Finance/Banking for Charlotte) to help buoy its growth, it has a state income tax and it's hotter than Hades there.

Yet, it just seems to be growing faster and faster.
Phoenix has a pretty diversified economy now at this point. Arizona State brings in a lot, then you have companies like State Farm setting up regional headquarters there. Intel has a huge plant there too. There's room for more growth there but it's much better than even 10 years ago.

I can attest to the SF Bay Area out-migration. I have several coworkers who have all moved from there to cheaper areas now that we're telecommuting. One woman even told me she can't take a walk around the block anymore because with her newborn now she doesn't feel as safe with all the homeless around, and their camps have grown.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:56 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,897,900 times
I already live in Denver, and, quite frankly, none of the other cities appeal to me in the least. 7 of them are way too humid, and the other two, while drier, are way too damn hot. I'd at least consider Vegas or Phoenix, but you could triple my salary and give me a house and I still wouldn't live in the southeast or the eastern half of Texas again. Hard pass.

Old 12-16-2020, 01:04 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,711,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Phoenix has a pretty diversified economy now at this point. Arizona State brings in a lot, then you have companies like State Farm setting up regional headquarters there. Intel has a huge plant there too. There's room for more growth there but it's much better than even 10 years ago.

I can attest to the SF Bay Area out-migration. I have several coworkers who have all moved from there to cheaper areas now that we're telecommuting. One woman even told me she can't take a walk around the block anymore because with her newborn now she doesn't feel as safe with all the homeless around, and their camps have grown.
Thanks for the perspective.

I know Arizona has always been popular with retirees as well because they don't tax retirement income.

Old 12-16-2020, 03:00 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,175,185 times
I'm surprised that Raleigh isn't on the list but the Florida cities and others are.

Since employment opportunities in tech, finance and other white collar professions are limited in Charleston, Nashville and probably Vegas and the Florida cities I'm guessing this is driven mostly by people who can work remote. Or maybe they aren't drawing the same type of people.

Old 12-16-2020, 03:03 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,559,570 times
A lot of people working remotely can choose to live where they want to. FL, for better or worse, has remained “more open” than most other states with fewer/no restaurant and gym restrictions which appeals to some, as does the opportunity to spend more time outdoors during the winter months.

https://www.winknews.com/2020/12/15/...hare-concerns/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...ns-11605625421

The super rich are fleeing high tax, high density cities—Palm Beach real estate is on fire. Other FL cities are seeing strong demand as well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...kers-say-.html

https://www.worldpropertyjournal.com...iami-12228.php

“Record-low interest rates; a record-high S&P 500; the appeal of stable assets in a volatile economy; homebuyers leaving tax-burdened Northeastern states to purchase in Florida (no state income tax); and work-from-home and remote-learning policies have all combined to create a robust market for luxury single-family properties.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I'm surprised that Raleigh isn't on the list but the Florida cities and others are.

Since employment opportunities in tech, finance and other white collar professions are limited in Charleston, Nashville and probably Vegas and the Florida cities I'm guessing this is driven mostly by people who can work remote. Or maybe they aren't drawing the same type of people.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-16-2020 at 03:53 PM..

Old 12-16-2020, 06:02 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,175,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
A lot of people working remotely can choose to live where they want to. FL, for better or worse, has remained “more open” than most other states with fewer/no restaurant and gym restrictions which appeals to some, as does the opportunity to spend more time outdoors during the winter months.
Well those 'advantages' are short term and while Florida does have mild winters the weather sucks for 4-5 months. I remember visiting Disney in May and it was so hot we could only go in mornings and evenings.

Old 12-16-2020, 06:06 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,174,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post

Raleigh doesn't need any additional press. It's growing like a weed, and landed #3 on another list.
https://www.menshealth.com/health/a3...es-in-america/
Months back, it was also on a short list of cities that will benefit the most post pandemic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.