Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 03:05 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,396,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
The only thing keeping Austin from becoming a second California in severity of issues is that its in a republican state. I can't help but wonder what will happen to all these businesses in the event that Texas flips blue
People talk about taxes a lot, but I think the bigger issue in the Bay Area is the NIMBY-ism, which really isn't about red vs. blue. Where I think Austin has an advantage is that it's much less Balkanized. A NIMBY heavy area in Austin can elect a obstructionist councilmember, but in the Bay Area they will control independent city governments. While Austin has plenty of it's own NIMBY history, it is at the moment building massive amounts of housing throughout the metro.

I will say that the homelessness issue is getting to a boiling point (see Jimmy Flannigan losing the other day). That's probably another issue where Austin's larger city limits will help. There are enough more conservative suburban types that will eventually push back about SF style policies towards the homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2020, 04:35 PM

994 posts, read 501,713 times
Phoenix is likely a more reasonable col for Californians within it's region so to speak.

Old 12-18-2020, 06:20 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Another thing that's surprising about this list is that Vegas is on it. I thought unemployment there is really high now with covid closures. I'm also not sure if the place has a lot of white collar jobs and amenities.

I also have heard a lot of buzz about Atlanta, more so than Nashville or the other small cities on the list. It seems to be a major destination for Silicon Valley types, along with Dallas. That's understandable as people from there want some diversity and cosmopolitanism along with lower COL.
I am remote working in Vegas. It is a great place for remote workers. Away from the Strip, Vegas has a lot of quiet suburbs with amenities. Mild winters. You can kayak on Lake Mead in the morning and ski on Mt Charleston on the same afternoon. Surrounded by National Parks. No state income tax. Las Vegas is hot as hell in summer, but Phoenix is even hotter. They do have nicer winters though.

Old 12-18-2020, 06:30 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
I am remote working in Vegas. It is a great place for remote workers. Away from the Strip, Vegas has a lot of quiet suburbs with amenities. Mild winters. You can kayak on Lake Mead in the morning and ski on Mt Charleston on the same afternoon. Surrounded by National Parks. No state income tax. Las Vegas is hot as hell in summer, but Phoenix is even hotter. They do have nicer winters though.
Thanks for sharing. I didn't know the area has so many outdoor options. I've only been to Hoover Dam and it was quite a drive.

Old 12-19-2020, 03:07 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,957,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
The counties that all of these cities are in voted for the Democratic candidate in 2020:

Duvall County - 53.1%
Clark County - 53.7%
Dallas County - 65.1%
Richland County - 68.4%
Mecklenburg County - 66.9%
Hillsborough County - 52.9%
Davidson County - 64.5%
Maricopa County - 50.3%
Travis County - 71.7%

All of them except Jacksonville have Democratic mayors, too.
Columbia is Richland County. Charleston is in Charleston County.

Old 12-19-2020, 07:22 PM

955 posts, read 610,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Columbia is Richland County. Charleston is in Charleston County.
You're right, thanks, I thought it was Columbia in the article for some reason not Charleston. But anyways Charleston County was 55.5% for the Dems.

Old 12-20-2020, 11:31 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Florida is a big state with many microclimates. Orlando happens to be inland and hotter as it is not the beneficiary of bay or ocean breezes as is the case of coastal South Florida (which is different from the West Coast of the state, which is different from the Panhandle, etc etc). Plenty of people live here year-round—it’s not uninhabitable nor the Forbidden Zone from Planet of the Apes, depending what part of the state you live in.

In addition, more people were already moving to FL prior to the pandemic. Some were already coming to FL to not only avoid state income taxes in high tax states but also the result of newly imposed SALT cap limits following passage of the Tax Cut and Jobs Act of 2017; Covid has simply accelerated that trend as referenced in a couple of links in my earlier post.

Heck, Blackstone has announced plans to move 215 tech jobs paying an average of $200K to SoFla, Goldman Sachs is considering relocating its asset management division here, and some prominent hedge fund managers (Carl Icahn, Ken Griffin, Paul Tudor Jones, Barry Sternlicht, David Tepper, Paul Singer, and others) have already relocated (or are about to) not just their families here but businesses to SoFla as well, so it’s not necessarily short term nor for only part of the year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thereal...h-florida/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...-a-blow-to-nyc
Good point. Much of the movement around the US was happening long before covid. It's just that the pandemic made people care more about thier local government more than ever.

Old 01-10-2021, 09:59 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Californians ---> Phoenix, Las Vegas, Idaho, Seattle, Denver, Texas
New Yorkers ---> Florida, North Carolina, Atlanta, Savannah
Chicagoans --> Texas, Georgia, Florida
Bostonians--> Florida, Raleigh, Charleston SC
etc

Old 01-10-2021, 10:03 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Californians ---> Phoenix, Las Vegas, Idaho, Seattle, Denver, Texas
New Yorkers ---> Florida, North Carolina, Atlanta, Savannah
Chicagoans --> Texas, Georgia, Florida
Bostonians--> Florida, Raleigh, Charleston SC
etc
I think Arizona is still a big draw for Chicagoans

Old 01-10-2021, 10:11 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I think Arizona is still a big draw for Chicagoans
It is, but I fail to understand why? They're just trading a horrible winter for a horrible summer, but to each their own. IMO, the best bet is to do the snowbird thing. Spend summer in a northern state and spend winter in a southern state. With remote working gaining more and more acceptance, it's now a possibility for the mainstream.

...Heads to Zillow to find a Florida home, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.